Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Assumptions:

1) The Clippers are looking to clear enough cap space to make a MAX offer to Kobe in July. This means that they MUST get rid of Richardson (either by trade or not offering him a qualifying offer), they MUST get rid of Dooling (either by trade or not offering him a qualifying offer) and they MUST trade $3 million in salary in some combination of Jaric, Drobnjak, Wilcox or Ely. AND none of these trades can return any salary in 2004-05.

2) The Bulls are serious about trading Crawford.
-----------------------

PORTLAND trades Wesley Person, Memphis' 1st round pick in 2004 and their own 1st round pick in 2005.
PORTLAND receives Jamal Crawford, Melvin Ely and Keyon Dooling.

CLIPPERS trade Quentin Richardson, Melvin Ely, Peja Drobnjak and Keyon Dooling
CLIPPERS receive Wesley Person, Marcus Fizer, Portland's 1st round pick in 2005 and Chicago's 1st round pick in 2005 (lottery protected)

CHICAGO trades Jamal Crawford, Marcus Fizer and their 1st round pick in 2005 (lottery protected)
CHICAGO receives Quentin Richardson, Peja Drobnjak and Memphis' 1st round pick in 2004.

BTW, Clippers release Fizer at the end of the year by not offering him a qualifying offer.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
I'd have to say no. Dooling and Ely are unlikely to be significant contributors, and I have serious reservations about Crawford. I doubt he's worth two mid-first round picks.

Giving up the $14 million from Person's expiring contract makes it even worse.

Dan

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Good trade, I think there would be a good amount of Bulls fans interested in it, and probably a few who arent. As a Bulls fan, I'd think about this seriously. Portland would do it definitely.

Only thing that holds this trade back would be Clippers giving up a very good guard, on a gamble they MIGHT get Kobe. They would probably hesitate on it and try to get a word from Kobe that he would sign for sure.

Nice scenario though.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
I have my concerns about Dooling. bad 2FG%, 3FG%, reasonable FT%, not a lot of turnovers, just nothing to terribly special. What are his pros and cons?
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/keyon_dooling/index.html?nav=page

I would like to keep Person myself. I have been saying he is another Steve Kerr type of role player. The problem is this frnachise has never known how to use a shooter right for the last decade or so. They wasted the talents of Kerr, and Smith IMHO. Now Person is shooting a great deal better than in Memphis and he is 48% from 2, and 47% from 3 and we still do not find a lot of time for him to score.

I think Wes can be resigned for around $3 mil and still save the club about $4.7 mil in team payroll... roughly what your proposing here, but with the extent of getting Crawford, the gem in the deal. Although I am not convinced he is hte saviour at PG, I think we might like him considerable more than Damon.

I would rather have Jaric in the deal as well. Just another potential guard with talent.

I could see Portland not protecting DA, and Charlotte easily getting him with a smile. Thus us loosing nearly $8 mil off the team payroll, and loosing outside shooting. Thus we would need Wes more. Q can have his minutes ahead of Wes, but we would still need a guard. DA slashing style with a decent outside shot would be attrative to Charlotte to fill seats.

I woud like to stockpile guards until late summer. Hopefully loosing Damon in an expiring trade deal, and DA in the expansion draft will set the tone for a guard makeover this summer. I would like to get Crawford, and even Jaric but would like to retain Wes.

I do not want to loose any picks right now, especially with our record.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
I think Portland would be crazy not to do this. Crawford's way better than anything we can expect to get with Memphis's pick (or our own next year, assuming we don't blow the team up).

Neither Ely nor Dooling are spectacular prospects, but Ely MIGHT be able to help up front off the bench... maybe even easing Portland shipping Dale Davis elsewhere without having to receive a big man back.

Losing Person might cost the Blazers some money in the intermediate term, but getting a young piece to the puzzle like Crawford makes that worthwhile, IMO. If Ely turned out to be serviceable it would be even better.

Richardson would make a nice piece for Chicago to pair with Hinrich and their young bigs, and the Memphis first rounder might turn out to have some real value.

I think this might be shakiest for the Clippers. I know that making a max offer to Kobe is one of the assumptions, but that assumption might be the shaky foundation that ruins the whole house of cards...

Ed O.

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by <b>dkap</b>!
I'd have to say no. Dooling and Ely are unlikely to be significant contributors, and I have serious reservations about Crawford. I doubt he's worth two mid-first round picks.

Giving up the $14 million from Person's expiring contract makes it even worse.

Dan
Dooling would be brought on the team on the same basis as Darius Miles - prove yourself before the end of the year or we'll simply let you go. My guess is that Portland would let him walk at the end of the year.

Ely is a young, cheap big man. Not much of a risk there.

Crawford is the real risk. If he can become the floor leader that the Blazers need at the PG position, it's well worth it. If not, and if all he can ever be is a shooting guard in a point guard's body, then you're right. There's also the issue of his RFA status. Personally, I think the risk is worth taking.

BTW, I don't think there will be a luxury tax in 2004-05, based on the calculations made by NCBullsFan here. So the final financial impact looks like this:

Portland loses Person ($7.7 million) and Memphis' pick ($1 million?) in 2004 and their own pick ($1 million?) in 2005.

Portland gains Crawford (if they re-sign him), Ely ($1.7 million) and probably let Dooling walk in 2004.

That's a gain in salary, yes, but nowhere near $14 million.

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by <b>Trader Bob</b>!
I have my concerns about Dooling. bad 2FG%, 3FG%, reasonable FT%, not a lot of turnovers, just nothing to terribly special. What are his pros and cons?
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/keyon_dooling/index.html?nav=page
He's a throw-in and serves only as filler. He's involved only because the Clippers need to get rid of him for the cap room. Probably walks at the end of the year.

I would like to keep Person myself. I have been saying he is another Steve Kerr type of role player. The problem is this frnachise has never known how to use a shooter right for the last decade or so. They wasted the talents of Kerr, and Smith IMHO. Now Person is shooting a great deal better than in Memphis and he is 48% from 2, and 47% from 3 and we still do not find a lot of time for him to score.

I think Wes can be resigned for around $3 mil and still save the club about $4.7 mil in team payroll
In my mind, Portland needs to take any time given to Person and give it to Woods. I'd like to see what Woods/Miles can do together at the wing positions. Person is nice, but he's not the future.

I could see Portland not protecting DA, and Charlotte easily getting him with a smile.
I'll go out on a limb here - Portland WILL expose DA in the expansion draft and Charlotte WILL NOT pick him. No way.

I do not want to loose any picks right now, especially with our record.
I don't either, but that's the price to be paid for a player of Crawford's caliber/potential.

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by <b>bballer27</b>!
the clips don't really get a good trade
This trade gives the Clippers exactly what they are rumored to be looking for - significant cap room in July.

Of course, if the rumor (and thus assumption #1) is wrong, the trade makes no sense for LA.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Good trade for Portland. Decent trade for Chicago. Not enough for the Clippers. But if the assumption that the Clippers are trying to save cap space to go after Kobe Bryant is true, I can easily see them taking this risk.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts