Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ESPN's Len Pasquarelli reports there are whispers emanating from Washington that RB Clinton Portis isn't quite a perfect fit for the HC Joe Gibbs offense, which usually demands a power-type back. But a far bigger concern for the Redskins, who still figure to get about 1,400-1,500 yards from the third-year veteran obtained in the CB Champ Bailey trade, is the No. 2 tailback spot. None of the backups -- RB Ladell Betts, RB Sultan McCullough, RB Chad Morton or FB Rock Cartwright -- have been very impressive. Which explains why personnel chief Vinny Cerrato has been calling around checking on the status of veteran tailbacks who might be released this weekend. The 'Skins snooped around the possible availability of RB Garrison Hearst, with whom Cerrato is familiar from their stint together with the 49ers, but the Denver Broncos aren't likely to cut him now that RB Mike Anderson is sidelined for the season. Washington will take a long look at the waiver wire this weekend to see if there is a tailback better than the group it currently has behind Portis on the depth chart.

·
Registered
618 Posts
yea right portis is nasty. Hell be just fine, its just that he wont b as good as he usually is because of the Redskins ****ty line and losing Jensen made them worse. Cmon Miami guy you gotta give props to ya x players if they r playin great. guy has 3000 career yards and he just turned 23 a few days ago.

·
Premium Member
12,829 Posts
Originally posted by <b>P2TheTruth34</b>!
yea right portis is nasty. Hell be just fine, its just that he wont b as good as he usually is because of the Redskins ****ty line and losing Jensen made them worse. Cmon Miami guy you gotta give props to ya x players if they r playin great. guy has 3000 career yards and he just turned 23 a few days ago.
Na Ill give him props. He has exceeded my expectations for him, greatly. I never really thought he was that great at UM. I always thought Frank Gore was better and Gore was a true freshman at the time. He's a good RB with great quickness, but until I see him succeed somewhere else, he's a product of Denver's system.

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
I'm a Skins fan and that report by pasquarelli are bogus. He is the same one who said that Gibbs isn't gonna win in ashington. He has been so negative with the Skins its been ridiculous.

Portis has been fine here in Washington. Portis has gotten maybe at the most 7 carries in a game. I actually went to Skins camp when it was open to the fans and Portis looked great, he was explosive and fast.

Pasquarelli just wants to stir thingsd up in Skinsville. The Skins aren't sure about their back-ups Betts who is the best back behind Portis jas been injured since we drafted him so yeah I'd say its a concern.

But Portis is gonna be fine with the Skins. Injury is the only concern.

He says the Skins are concerned yet he'll still get 1500 yards.

Just column filler because Portis hasn't run well or much at all this preseason with so many of our lineman nicked.

Portis isn't a systems back then why didn't Anderson get 3g's in 2 years or Gary, I thought so.

Portis sure wasn't a systems back in college in rushing for 1800 yards.

He fits any system. The term is ridiculous when you consider that the Bronco's scouting and coaching staff has an eye for running back talent.

They are not the onloy team to employ the scheme of blcoking or running.

This game is simple you have to be able to run and block and tackle. Its simple as that if you don't have the talent then you're out.

Portis averaged 5.5 a carry I don't think many of the top backs averaged that last season.

Even LT.

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
Is this the Len Pastabelly who said Champ was traded to the Lions during the off season? And the Pastabelly who said Gibbs won only 1 super bowl trophy?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My take on the whole situation is that Gibbs wouldn't of traded a Pro-Bowl corner and then given a HUGE contract to Portis if he didn't fit the offense. Portis isn't a bad RB, in fact he's pretty good, but this year he won't repeat his numbers from last year. It is very different running behind one of the best OL's in the NFL, and then running behind a mediocre OL plagued by injuries. Portis won't repeat last year's performance but he'll be a top 10 RB.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Is this the same Portis

that Shannon Sharpe said is the best player he's ever played with(INCLUDING Elway, Davis, Ray and Jamal Lewis?)

Enough of this system back nonsense. WATCH THE GAME WITH YOUR EYES.

And Pasta the Hutt, ever since losing out on the Skins scoop, has been on a one-man mission to destroy the Skins rep any chance he gets.

This is the moron who was talking about sean Taylor like he was a bust, one week into camp, and now won't mention it since Taylor has looked like Christ in the period since that article.

·
Premium Member
12,829 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Takeit2dahouse00</b>!
My take on the whole situation is that Gibbs wouldn't of traded a Pro-Bowl corner and then given a HUGE contract to Portis if he didn't fit the offense. Portis isn't a bad RB, in fact he's pretty good, but this year he won't repeat his numbers from last year. It is very different running behind one of the best OL's in the NFL, and then running behind a mediocre OL plagued by injuries. Portis won't repeat last year's performance but he'll be a top 10 RB.
Im pretty sure Gibbs didnt pull the trigger on this deal. I dont think he was the head coach yet.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by <b>sMaKDiSDoWn</b>!

Im pretty sure Gibbs didnt pull the trigger on this deal. I dont think he was the head coach yet.
The deal won't be a sure thing until Bailey, a Pro Bowl cornerback in four of his five seasons with Washington, agrees to a new contract with the Broncos.

"It's hard for us to really say this is done ... because some of the stuff is still up in the air," Washington coach Joe Gibbs said.

Free agency is critical for the Redskins this year because the Mark Brunell and Portis trades would leave the team with just two selections — in the first and fifth rounds — in April's draft. Gibbs said he was uncomfortable giving away the picks.

"It's a good draft," Gibbs said. "But in each one of those situations, you're trying to evaluate what would be best for the team."
Gibbs is a winner and knows what it takes to put together successful organizations and lead people. He’s won more Super Bowls that Bill Parcells and as many as Bill Walsh. And while he dominated the decade of the ‘80s and the early 90’s, the only question I had about Gibbs was how he would operate under the restrictions of a Salary Cap. He quickly put any such questions to rest by pulling off, in my opinion, the most notable trade since Herschel Walker was traded from the Cowboys to the Vikings for a bunch of draft picks. (that would later become Super Bowl Champions.) In an era where trades are very rare in the NFL, Gibbs traded All-Pro Cornerback Champ Bailey to the Denver Broncos for All-Pro Running Back Clinton Portis.

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
Originally posted by <b>sMaKDiSDoWn</b>!

Gibbs was head coach for over 2 months when the trade happened.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
I don't know why people are getting upset with what Pasquerelli said. He said that he doesn't fit the Gibbs system, which doesn't mean that he won't be successful it's just that he's not the ideal back. Guys like Portis, Tomlinson, Faulk, Holmes aren't Gibbs backs guys like Jamal Lewis and Deuce McAlister are.

Also Gibbs was always big on RB by committee, and that's what makes this weird since there's no one behind Portis.

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
Originally posted by <b>PhillyPhanatic</b>!
I don't know why people are getting upset with what Pasquerelli said. He said that he doesn't fit the Gibbs system, which doesn't mean that he won't be successful it's just that he's not the ideal back. Guys like Portis, Tomlinson, Faulk, Holmes aren't Gibbs backs guys like Jamal Lewis and Deuce McAlister are.

Also Gibbs was always big on RB by committee, and that's what makes this weird since there's no one behind Portis.
We have someone behind Portis Ladell Betts who had a nice game and a couple of short scores in our preseason finale against Atlanta.

Gibbs has won with great backs big and small and just soso backs.

Riggins was great and Big, Ernest Byner was smaller about 5 lbs bigger than Portis and not great.

Portis fits Gibbs system just fine.

Our only problem is getting our line re familiarized with smash mouth football they have got to develop that personality after the pass happy Spurrier had us on our heels.

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
Agreed, Gibbs loves his big backs like the Stephen Davis, Jamal Lewis, Steven Jackson type, those type of guys would thrive under Gibbs system. Little Joe Washington back then who was about Trung Canidates size looked really good also, Bugel and Gibbs say Portis is probably the most talented back they ever had.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts