Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PA=Points allowed. They are middle of the pack, which is interesting since I have been hearing how they have the wort defense in the game. I had thought people were confusing Dallas and Portland, but I have seen many people say how does sending the best defender on the worst defensive team make dallas a better defensive team.

Well Portland is middle of the road in Points allowed while Dallas is dead last. the only team giving up triple digits (100.5)in the scoring column, yet is 2nd in points scored at 102.9.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
On the season Portland is allowing 94PPG
in the last 4 games they have allowed 89.5 PPG.

Of course the competition hasn't been steller.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
But they are dead last in opponent FG%

Dallas plays at a different pace than the Blazers, allowing for more opportunities. I think opponent FG% is more telling, personally...

·
Registered
14,348 Posts
PA=Points allowed. They are middle of the pack, which is interesting since I have been hearing how they have the wort defense in the game.
But Portland is leading the NBA in FG% against at 47.1%

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
PA doesn't mean much unless you account for the Pace Factor (how many possessions each team gets per game).

I don't have the equation in front of me, and even if I did I'm not sure that I have the stats I need to figure it myself, but I'd bet that Portland's Pace Factor is low, which is one of the reasons they don't score much and one of the reasons opponents don't in spite of shooting such a high percentage against them.

Our PGs willingness to dribble around until late in the shot clock and our team's general inability to execute offensively both mean it takes longer for the team to get off shots, which means fewer attempts for each team per game... I'm guessing (again, don't have the stats in front of me).

Ed O.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I just checked the Schedules, and I recognized, that Portland won only ONE time in Double-Digits this year (against Cleveland). All other wins were close, so we were not able to dominate an opponent the whole game ( I remember teh first Memphis-Game was mostly a Blow-Out, but they came back and the score was in the end 93:87) with the exception of one game. I don't know really what this means, but it's interesting and maybe this has to do with the crappy defense, that the Blazers allow their opponents to come back nearly every game (like Seattle).

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Flaming Homer</b>!
I just checked the Schedules, and I recognized, that Portland won only ONE time in Double-Digits this year (against Cleveland).
Interesting observation, FH... and remember that Cleveland was like the second game this year.

Ugly, ugly basketball...

Ed O.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts