Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

do we still stand a chance?

• Nope. We are done.

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • There's still a slim hope.

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • There's a 50:50 shot.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • No way does this team miss the playoffs.

Votes: 2 8.3%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The numbers don't lie. We're 21-25. It's going to take at least 44 games to make the playoffs in the brutal West.

We've got 36 games left in the season. We'll need to win 23 of them. That's a 64% winning record, something only 5 NBA teams have done this year: Indiana, Detroit, Minnesota, San Antonio and Sacramento.

On top of that, we still face the Lakers three times, Dallas once, Minnesota twice, San Antonio twice, Sacramento twice.

Half of the remaining schedule is on the road, so we don't get a break there.

Man, I hope the Grizzlies flounder in the second half of the season and we wind up with two lottery picks next year. That's about the only thing I can think of to look forward to for the second half of the season.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
As an outsider who has no home team bias, I think it would take a small miracle at this point. Okay, maybe it isn't <i>that</i> bad, but still I would be downright shocked if you managed it. It's a shame too, because I really enjoy watching the Blazers, and the playoffs were always the best time to do that.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Originally posted by <b>theWanker</b>!
The numbers don't lie. We're 21-25. It's going to take at least 44 games to make the playoffs in the brutal West.

We've got 36 games left in the season. We'll need to win 23 of them. That's a 64% winning record, something only 5 NBA teams have done this year: Indiana, Detroit, Minnesota, San Antonio and Sacramento.

On top of that, we still face the Lakers three times, Dallas once, Minnesota twice, San Antonio twice, Sacramento twice.
They've played the Kings 3 times already this year, winning 2.

I think it's possible to make the playoffs. Last year at this time, we were 14 games above .500, (just had come off of a 4 game sweep on the road, and a 3 game sweep on the road). They season peaked at 20 games above .500 (finished 18 games over .500).

The last 33 games last year, they went 18-15, and over half of the losses were @ home.

The year before they were 25-21. at the same point. they finished that season with a 24-12 record. Of that 36 games, 19 were on the road, of which they won 10 of them.

Now granted, that team actually played better D, and won games on the road..but those teams didn't exactly have easy sched's then either.

whats my point?

They could still make the playoffs, or they could still miss em. Losing to Denver doesn't signify they are dead, (as Denver is 1: a good home team and 2: above Portland in the ranking) it just means they lost another game. It's the next 2 games that they *CAN NOT* lose.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
With this team, IF we do make the playoffs it's going to be one-n-done. I'd rather hit the lotto and grab a C or a PG (Emeka or Gordon!)

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
I'd put us at about 25% chance of making it. This down from 50% after the Wells deal and 85% to start the season.

Very sad.

Ed O.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts