Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FWIW

The classic phrase “Imitation is the greatest form of flattery” dates back to the early 1700's. But what does this have to do with hoops. Well, everything of course. Here in 2006 the expression is as applicable as ever. For the Portland Trail Blazers, replicating the Chicago Bulls is something that has happened without even knowing it.....

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
The Bulls as our model? I would hope we're aiming higher than that. :)

But yes, Chicago built through the draft and we are doing the same. Here's hoping we get to the finals before they do!!

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
They're building through college and we're building through high school.

Better for us in the long run.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Why would we want to emulate the Bulls? They won 47 games last year and probably will be lucky to get back there again. They gave away their starting center and there are still a ton of question marks for them.

They're certainly better off than Portland is, but if Portland's trying to emulate any team, it should be one that has a bit more success under its belt than the Bulls IMO.

Ed O.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I think it should be noted that only the media really are latching onto the Blazers as new Bulls thing. Maybe in ten years, after we've had five straight parades through Portland, other teams will want to emulate the Blazers. We may look like we're emulating the Bulls right now, but that comparison is only for the time being. I think we'll be (pardon the phrase) blazing our own trails in the team recovery area soon enough (that is, once we surpass the level of success the Bulls have achieved).

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
BlazerCaravan said:
I think it should be noted that only the media really are latching onto the Blazers as new Bulls thing. Maybe in ten years, after we've had five straight parades through Portland, other teams will want to emulate the Blazers. We may look like we're emulating the Bulls right now, but that comparison is only for the time being. I think we'll be (pardon the phrase) blazing our own trails in the team recovery area soon enough (that is, once we surpass the level of success the Bulls have achieved).
Note that the comparison is to the CURRENT Bulls, not the teams that won anything.

Ed O.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Ed O said:
Note that the comparison is to the CURRENT Bulls, not the teams that won anything.

Ed O.

I know that. And when we're better than the current Bulls due to our superior plan, the comparisons will end and we'll the team others are compared to. I think that's what I said, but maybe I didn't make it clear enough for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts