Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a lot of people have counted this team out before the season got underway. i think they will be the sleeper of the western conference and will be competing with the spurs, lakers, mavs, and kings for best in the league. not highly likely that they will win the championship or finish with the best record but they should be up there and will be very difficuly to beat.
they simply have the best roster in the nba. we all know that they've been here before and choked...but they almost upset the LA LAKERS and would have gone on win the nba championship. they have an overabundance of talent but i don't really see that holding them back this season. they can score, rebound, and defend very well. they have youthful and veteran talents, very athletic and have good size to compete in the middle. the return of a committed and hopefully healthy sabonis will have a positive impact. this is not going to be a very friendly team and their team chemistry might be a little lacking but they're going to stomp on some teams this season.

·
Registered
8,660 Posts
The biggest thing they lack is a superstar who can lead. That team is bunched with a lot of good/above average players who r always fighting for time.
Unless they get a superstar, they won't compete for a championship. And they can't afford to face the lakers in the first round every year..

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
For the last 10-12 years the Blazers have usually been a group of very talented players but they lack Mojo. Thats the only reason why I can see that they havent been to the finals since 92

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Originally posted by <b>SPMJ</b>!
The biggest thing they lack is a superstar who can lead. That team is bunched with a lot of good/above average players who r always fighting for time.
Unless they get a superstar, they won't compete for a championship. And they can't afford to face the lakers in the first round every year..
Wallace? He is certainly a superstar...

-Petey

·
Registered
8,660 Posts
20pts and 8 boards aren't exactly "superstar" material numbers. He isn't too high at other categories either. Didn't even make the all star team last year. He's just a very good player. Not great at any certain part of the game. Unless he raises his numbers to 22+ pts and 10+ boards and becomes a little more consistent, then i would call him a superstar.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
If that is who you define as a Superstar, not many teams have them...

-Petey

·
Registered
462 Posts
hes not a star

Wallace isnt a star and i know what hes tryin to say. Rasheed Wallace isn't the type player that can lead a team to a championship, and that defines a superstar. He has proven that the past few years.

What they need is a big powerful center, not somebody like Sabonis or Davis. He doesnt need to be all that great, just somebody to be under the basket and be a low-post player. If Qyntel Woods lives up to his potential (T-Mac), then he might be that superstar the Blazers have been lookin for. Bonzi Wells isn't any star, but hes a very good supporting player.

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the blazers have many star-calibre players, i guess it just depends on your definition. they really have all-star potential at each position. of course on this team it's difficult to put up huge numbers because the shots are pretty well distributed. they are lacking a superstar leader but that doesn't necessarily mean that they won't tear it up this year.
don't really see too many centers out there that have a lot on the starting-backup combo of davis and sabonis. especially if you're just looking for big, strong bodies.
this team (in terms of personel)is built for the playoffs and for taking on the lakers. their team defense should be very strong and they have big bodies to throw at shaq. i'm just saying they have a shot. people often say that they just have too many good players but i don't buy it.

·
Registered
8,660 Posts
Wallace does NOT put up GREAT numbers. He puts up GOOD numbers. IMO, these r currently the superstars in the nba: They put up gr8 numbers and their teams r pretty successful.

Kidd
Kobe
T-mac
Shaq
Duncan
Garnett
Pierce
Iverson
VC
Webber
Payton

I'm not completely sold on Dirk, yet.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Once those players hit their prime... how often are they traded or leave via fa?

Not often... Not many players would make a trade like that, so in regards to your comment about Superstar... it would be pretty hard to get 1 of them.

-Petey

·
Registered
9,192 Posts
I think the Blazers will definitly be a top 5 team in the west this year. They should finish better then the Spurs at least. They have what it takes to win 50+ games this year. I don't know how far they can get in the playoffs though.

A team dosen't need a "superstar" to win a title though. In '77, the Blazers didn't have what you all seem to consider a "superstar." Walton and Lucas came closest. They had a whole collection of what seemed to be misc. players, and great coaching.

Don't even think about saying "Oh, the leauge wasn't anything back then." First, they beat a bulls team led by Artest. Then a Denver team coached by Larry brown. They then swept a laker team led by Kareem. In the finals they met a Philly team powered by Dr. J, Dawkins, Free, and Collins. All this with out a 3 point line. So, don't tell me the leauge wasn't anything back then.

Why do I bring this up? To show that all you need is a group of players that play well, and good coaching.

·
Registered
9,192 Posts
Originally posted by <b>HearToTemptYou</b>!
I think the Blazers will definitly be a top 5 team in the west this year. They should finish better then the Spurs at least. They have what it takes to win 50+ games this year. I don't know how far they can get in the playoffs though.
I stumbled upon these predictions of mine. Hey, I didn't do too bad! I wasn't right about the spurs though... I think I thought the Kings, Lakers, Mavs would be ahead of them, and portland would most likely be 4th.

I was almost right!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts