Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah........another Crawford thread.

Don't like it....by all means, leave.

The Bulls draft Jay Williams with the 2nd pick. You dont spend the 2nd pick in a draft on a backup. Jay will be our future PG. So where does that leave Crawford?

The Bulls SL figures to be Williams/Rose/Marshall/Chandler/Curry
(during the season)
Bench Players: Fizer, Bagaric, Blount, Robinson, Hassell, Crawford, and ????

Before you say "Hey, Crawford can back up the 1 and 2 and still get plenty of time," I say "What about Hassell?"

Hassell will be getting plenty of PT because he is the best on the ball defender. He wil be used to help guard the Tracy McGrady's, Vince Carter's, Paul Pierce's, and the Allen Iverson's of the East. He will be getting plenty of PT.

Mason Jr, a injured rookie, was drafted to play the 1/2. He can play backup PG, and with Rose able to play PG, the Bulls can cover all 48 mpg at PG. Same thing with SG, where Rose, Mason Jr, and Hassell can cover those minutes. At he 3, Marshall and Robinson can cover that. Crawford suddenly isnt looking at much PT.

(Mason Jr is injured.......I am talking about the future)

Crawford deserves PT because he has shown glimpes of being a good player. But since Crawford isnt really a good defender, that hurts his PT. We need Hassell because of his D. Rose can't guard AI, TMac, PP, VC. Hassell can gaurd them better than Rose can. I see Crawford becoming the odd man out. What can we trade him for,if we do? We could use a good backup C. Predrag Drobnjak? He coud be a very good backup for Curry. This would allow the Bulls to not extend Dalibor Bagaric's contract, or resign Blount.

Williams/Mason Jr
Rose/Hassell
Marshall/Robinson
Chandler/Fizer
Curry/Drobnjak

This gives us good depth all around. On nites where we face Boston(PP), Toronto(VC), Phili(AI), and Orlando(TMac), Hassell could end up starting at SG, and Rose at SF to help slow down their star players.

Do I want to see Crawford go? No.

Id love for a Williams/Crawford/Rose/Chandler/Curry starting lineup, but with the signing of Marshall it wont happen. We'd have $10 million invested in backup SF's(Marshall-4.5, Robinson 5.5) Thats one of the reasons I didn't like the Marshall signing....I wanted to see Crawford and Williams light it up together.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I agree with you 100% about Crawford. To add a twist to it, I also think that Fizer possibly may be on the way out. If you saw the game tonight, Baxter played was very, very good!! 28pts, 8 boards. If he can continue this, how can we not keep this guy? I am not assuming anything, because I like fizer... but this guy is a hustler.

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
i was thinking the same thing chi. Baxter is this years hassell. He can play. But just because he can play doesn't mean we move fizer just for the sake of moving him. Not yet anyway. We have the luxury of saying no.

Remember baxter did play against their bench. But he showed he can play. But lets not go over board. I am pleased yes, but he hasnt played any regulars in meaningful time yet.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I am not suggesting that we trade fizer based on tonite's game alone, but only if baxter proves himself a very productive player shortly down the road against better competition. Somebody will have to get cut in order to make room for him. I really like this guy, and he needs the PT.

He will definately have to beat out fizer to earn the spot.

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ChiTown4Life</b>!
I am not suggesting that we trade fizer based on tonite's game alone, but only if baxter proves himself a very productive player shortly down the road against better competition. Somebody will have to get cut in order to make room for him. I really like this guy, and he needs the PT.

He will definately have to beat out fizer to earn the spot.
Well of course i agree. I didnt mean to insinuate that you meant to trade him now. I was just bringing that up. But yes i like Baxter. His free throws doesn't hurt the team neither!!! :wbanana:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Also, what do you think of marshall's play? With his lenghth, and the way he rebounds, I cant see how E-Rob can beat this kid out. It's only one game, but I like the way he hovers around the basket. Our rebounding should increase dramatically with a line-up of Marshall, Chandler, and Curry.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Personally, I would not trade either Fizer or anyone on this team away unless I could get back a proven veteran or close to an "All-Star".

I also agree that soon or later some of our players must go. But at the monent, We should wait to see how these guys play.

One thing that we don't have is consistency so the more potential guys that we have on roster the better. Seriuously, we can't depend on Chandler and Curry to play inside for us night in and night out.

So if Baxter is playing well, it's great. We need a guy like that to push Fizer to play defense, hustle, and do whatever that Cartwright wants him to.

Our frontline is not that good so the more the better.

·
Registered
45 Posts
idiots

Uh, last time, you didn't spend a #8 pick on a backup either...

Not to mention....

STARTERS NEEED TO REST TOO!

What happens if one of the two gets injured?

IDIOTS! stop this crap about trading him.

the pimp:wbanana:

·
Registered
481 Posts
I think Crawford plays OK but he's not a threat like Jay is. Sometimes, Crawford is on, his shot is there, and he contributes to the team. But I haven't seen him create confusion, like I already see Jay do. Right now, who's to say Crawford will be better than Kenyon Dooling, for example?

Regarding Baxter, the only two times I have seen him play - this summer and tonight - he impressed me a lot. He just knows how to play. He finds a way. He has great moves. And he rebounds much better than Fizer. The only advantage Fizer has is his jumper (maybe). I haven't seen Baxter's range so far. Maybe he can't shoot, although given his FTs tonight, I doubt it.

The more I think about it, the more a deal of JC + MF for Miller or Szerbiak would make sense.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Re: idiots

Originally posted by <b>the_disco_pimp</b>!
Uh, last time, you didn't spend a #8 pick on a backup either...

Not to mention....

STARTERS NEEED TO REST TOO!

What happens if one of the two gets injured?

IDIOTS! stop this crap about trading him.

the pimp:wbanana:
dont forget that tyson was a backup, and what # pick was he? oh yea.........

·
Registered
33 Posts
it just doesn't seem to work

the co-existence of williams and crawford just doesn't seem to work since neither players is happy with his unspecified role on this team (as their results/stats indicate).
how to solve this? there isn't much room to manouver! krause didn't draft williams to trade or sit him. that leaves crawford on the outside looking in - eventually.
therefore, to get something in return for him (because in the situation they are in right now it is very unlikely that he would resign with the bulls in case krause doesn't draw the option on his contract) he needs to be traded.
what can you get for him? what does the team need?
the team needs help up front because neither bagaric, blount, curry, or chandler cut it (yet). this means we need a back up center that can come off the bench and be somewhat productive. who is out there?
ervin johnson (mil)
dampier and foyle (gsw)
dropniak (seattle)
foster (indi)
???

my suggestion is:
package crawford, fizer, bagaric, robinson (the usual foursome) AND our unprotected 1st rd pick in 2003 for
dunleavy, dampier and murphy

that gives gsw a decent chance to increase their lottery chances in the lebaron sweepstakes, gives them the productive pack up pf in fizer, the potential starter at pg who is versatile enough to play with arenas, and richardson in a quite nice back court, and if healthy a high-flying sf to form one of the most athletic wing duos in the league in richardson/robinson (but that's a pretty big IF).

the bulls get a sweet shooting sf, a good back up center and the perfect player to play with curry and chandler (eventually) in murphy. he is a good high post player, good passer and decent rebounder with size.

the bulls line up:

williams, overton, mason
rose, hassell, hoiberg
marshall, dunleavy, graves
chandler, murphy, baxter
curry, dampier, blount

i think this roster could develop into a very nice team. all it needs is time. after the season, we could try to trade marshall (to create room for dunleavy) if that would be necessary. but this team could just stay the way it is (with minor changes to role players) and finally find some stability to really make a splash in 2003/2004 ...

what do you think?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts