Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
7,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This team just needs another year to mature together. They have all of the pieces in place, good roleplayers. Good veterans. A great star. Young players who are used to the system and have performed well in the playoffs. I think not this year, because the coaching change (not the coaching change, they wouldn't have won a title with Nelson, ever), is going to take next year to get used to. But Avery is looking like a good coach that has the elements of a hardass and as a buddy coach. I think you guys can win the title, as early as next year, provided Cuban doesn't decide to radically alter the squad this summer, like he always does.

·
do better
41,522 Posts
Pan Mengtu said:
This team just needs another year to mature together. They have all of the pieces in place, good roleplayers. Good veterans. A great star. Young players who are used to the system and have performed well in the playoffs. I think not this year, because the coaching change (not the coaching change, they wouldn't have won a title with Nelson, ever), is going to take next year to get used to. But Avery is looking like a good coach that has the elements of a hardass and as a buddy coach. I think you guys can win the title, as early as next year, provided Cuban doesn't decide to radically alter the squad this summer, like he always does.
I agree wholeheartedly with everything except the coaching change hindering our chances at a title. I don't think that typical coach/time adjustment applies to us, because he's coached us for 10 or so games before the official change, he's been running practices for a long time, so we're more than comfortable with his system. I think we have the best chance this season with Duncan injured, and probably playing somewhat sluggish and rusty in the playoffs. I don't like the Suns' chances, because they play no D and aren't big enough, the Sonics are too young, live by the 3, and will eventually die by the 3, the Rockets can't score (and Mcgrady is injured?), and the Kings are no longer championship contenders. I think we have the best chance other than San Antonio of getting to the finals. Now with Shaq and the defending champs in the east however, it's no longer a matter of just getting to the finals and waltzing past the east. We'll have formidable competition.

I don't know about anyone else, we've had our troubles with consistency, "killer instinct", and the like, but I can't see a team in the league probably other than the Spurs beating us four times in seven games.

And as far as Cuban this offseason, he's been building up to this point, where Dirk is the man, he has a big body beside him, and great roleplayers around him, so I think he'll be content.

·
Registered
391 Posts
To be honest I can't see Cubes not making a change, just unfathomable for me :biggrin:. I think TAW needs to go for sure, he needs to take his opt-out because that would be best for him and the club. Al needs to be resigned for sure, he does all the dirty work for us and he definately needs to stay IMO. DA is well passed his prime and should retire unless he can get a lucerative offer from another semi-successful club, as I beleive he will not get another contract from the Mavs. Who to replace these two on the roster is a very good question. I would like to see Ron Murray here in place of DA as he is on the league minimum and is a FA at the end of the season. In TAW's place we should get a genuine SF who is all about the team and doesn't bring much baggage or demand a big contract.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I think that the coaching change will help us more towards getting a championship because Avery streeses Defense and Nellie said himself that his players werent paying attention to him anymore.Look what happened to Damp when Avery was Coach.His nubers produced tremendiously.I dont really see any changes needed in this team to make a run possibly this year.

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
This philosophy probably could have worked all along IMO. Chemistry counts for a lot, and if they would just manage to keep their team together I think it would give them a much better shot at winning it all.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I was thinking this exact thing except not winning the championship this year :biggrin:
We have a lot of young players and Avery is a good coach. But I am hoping that Mark doesn't tamper with the roster at all. Even Van Horn is showing what he can do under Avery now and that's a great sign.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts