Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok after losing our 6th game in a row and this season quickly becoming a disaster here is a list I have been making of possible replacements if Herrion were to be let go or resigned. These people are in no particular order and I have no clue if they would be even interested in the job but UNH needs a change so here it is....

TJ Sorrentine: Brown Univesity Associate Head Coach
Bob Walsh: RIC Head Coach
Jay Young: SBU Assoicate Head Coach
Doug Stewart: Oregon State Associate Head Coach
Pat Duquette: Associate Head Coach Northeastern
Nat Graham: Associate Head Coach Boston College
Al SKinner: Unemployed
Dennis Wolf: Virginia Tech Women's Head Coach
Douglas Leichner: Umaine Associate Head Coach
Jay Lawson: Bently Head Coach
Tony Newsom: Fairfield Univesity Associate Head Coach

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
what has TJ Sorrentine done again? He was part of a Brown staff that fired their coach for being bad. nothing against him but he needs more time in a winning program to be considered for jobs at the Division 1 level. If unh wants to win they need a coach with a history of winning on the bench.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Can I nominate someone that has lots of head coaching experience, knows the region & conference well? You may have heard of him...his name is Ted Woodward. I can make some calls and see if we can't get it done...sound good UNH fans?

Um, also, thank you for this list of names which I am praying every night my alma mater may need to use!

Edit - By the way, how pissed am I going to be if UNH is making a coaching change before Maine?!?!?! Ugh!

·
Banned
6,174 Posts
what has TJ Sorrentine done again? He was part of a Brown staff that fired their coach for being bad. nothing against him but he needs more time in a winning program to be considered for jobs at the Division 1 level. If unh wants to win they need a coach with a history of winning on the bench.
how old is TJ again? He is a bright up and coming coach and UNH would be lucky to have him. What exactly have the other coaches won? I would say most of those coaches havent won anything important. I would rather have a young coach who hasnt failed than an experienced one that continues to fail. People said Becker didnt have enough experience either.

·
Registered
14,160 Posts
This needs to happen...this man is in over his head and completely out of excuses...I know this is a mans livelihood and a terrible topic to discuss but he hasn't come close to getting it done.

·
Bill Herrion anti-apologist
2,193 Posts
UNH needs someone creative. I don't care if they're a middle school coach. Someone with new ideas about what it takes to win at this university.

I don't care about track record, AT ALL. Creativity and ingenuity, yes.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Another semi-local D-3 guy to keep tabs on: Bill Geitner at Eastern Connecticut. Before he got there (02 or 03 I believe), the men;s program was absolute garbage. Last year they won the LEC regular season and conference tourney, made the sweet 16 and were probably a couple minutes away from reaching the final 4 (they would've beaten their elite 8 opponent) with the best senior class the program has ever seen. Last year he graduated a defensive wizard a two time LEC first team selection player, 1 of their better rebounders and about 30% of their scoring and he has them tied for first place this year

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Mitch Oliver at Albertus Magnus is another guy to watch out. Taking out their loss to Yale this year AMC is 37-1 in the regular season over the last year and a half with the lone loss by 2 points.

·
Premium Member
33,191 Posts
Someone like..... Bill Herrion?

TJ Sorrentine would be....exactly what UNH needs. That being said, I would not be surprised if TJ wouldn't even have interest in the job.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
how old is TJ again? He is a bright up and coming coach and UNH would be lucky to have him. What exactly have the other coaches won? I would say most of those coaches havent won anything important. I would rather have a young coach who hasnt failed than an experienced one that continues to fail. People said Becker didnt have enough experience either.

Once again i am not attacking TJ. I am just saying UNH needs a coach who has success on the bench. TJ does not have that at all. Every division 1 staff has an assistant coach who is "bright." Let's not call an assistant coach at an annual bottom feeder in the Ivy up and coming. He needs to win and get a job outside his first one to be up and coming. Becker got the job at the same school where he was an assistant to Lonegran who ran a pretty successful program. Jay young at SBU was very successful at the D2 level as a head coach and has been on a seawolve staff that has been pretty successful. I am not saying Jay young would be a good hire but he has a history of winning.

I rememeber an AE team hiring a coach with more coaching experience than TJ and was a much better player in college. That school was Binghamton. His name was mark macon. We all saw what happened with that.

I love the arrogance of UVM too. TJ wouldnt be insterested? are you crazy? He would take the job in a heartbeat at a salary of 20K. Dont be silly. TJ sorrentine is a guy who has five years of coaching experience and 5 years of losing seasons. IF his name wasnt TJ Sorrentine you wouldnt even be giving him the time of day.

·
Premium Member
33,191 Posts
I love the arrogance of UVM too. TJ wouldnt be insterested? are you crazy? He would take the job in a heartbeat at a salary of 20K. Dont be silly. TJ sorrentine is a guy who has five years of coaching experience and 5 years of losing seasons. IF his name wasnt TJ Sorrentine you wouldnt even be giving him the time of day.
You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

·
Premium Member
33,191 Posts
UNH is a very difficult place to win- nobody has ever won there- simply because the basketball program has no institutional support. So a rising star AC in coaching like a TJ Sorrentine or Jay Young or someone like that would have to really consider it as their first D1 head job because it could end up being their first and last D1 job.

Obviously, the money would be more and they would be in charge of a D1 program- but it's not going to be for everyone, winning is going to be a challenge, and some people like a TJ or Young might really have no interest.

·
Premium Member
33,191 Posts
Ok after losing our 6th game in a row and this season quickly becoming a disaster here is a list I have been making of possible replacements if Herrion were to be let go or resigned. These people are in no particular order and I have no clue if they would be even interested in the job but UNH needs a change so here it is....

Unless Al Skinner and Dennis Wolf have Antoine Walkere-d their buyout money and their investments/retirement, which is probably doubtful, and desperate for cash I don't see them having any interest in UNH. I would think Wolf is in a better situation at Virginia Tech coaching womens hoops.

·
Premium Member
33,191 Posts

BTW, UNHFan you've really turned a 180 from earlier this season to now on Herrion- you know something that the crowd doesn't ;)

But seriously, what made you change your tune? You went from defending him saying he was the right person for the job to brainstorming replacement lists in a matter of weeks.

It's not like what's been happening the last few games hasn't been any different than what's been happening with UNH the previous seasons, which is to say it's really nothing new.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
UNH is a very difficult place to win- nobody has ever won there- simply because the basketball program has no institutional support. So a rising star AC in coaching like a TJ Sorrentine or Jay Young or someone like that would have to really consider it as their first D1 head job because it could end up being their first and last D1 job.

Obviously, the money would be more and they would be in charge of a D1 program- but it's not going to be for everyone, winning is going to be a challenge, and some people like a TJ or Young might really have no interest.
I don't disagree with anything you wrote...but I would add to the 2nd paragraph. Most coaches have a lot of confidence in their abilities and if they are up & coming, I can certainly see the mindset of "I am THE person that can turn that program around to become a winner." The next thought would be that after I'm done turning them around, I will be able to write my ticket to my next job. No idea what Sorrentine or Young are like when it comes to that, but that is just another way to look at it.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts