Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Possible trade

As I wrote in the Final Roster? thread, I think it'd be nice if we could keep a couple of the younger guys in camp, namely Varda, who's impressed the coaches, and Simmons, since we've now dumped Grizzard.

With that in mind, how about the Wiz trade Jahidi White and L8ner to the Heat for Brian Grant. This opens up a roster spot for us and Grant is better than those two guys. With Oakley and possibly Varda onboard, we have an overabundance of guys in the frontcourt, and consolidating two mediocre ones for one pretty good one makes sense.

For the Heat, it gives them two guys who's contracts expire a little sooner, and some overall cap relief.

·
Registered
785 Posts
No way...We already have a Grant-type player in Etan. No need for the older, overpaid version.

I'd rather trade Jahidi and L8 for Derrick Coleman. He's still decent, can knock down the open jumper, but more importantly he's in the last year of his contract.

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
In no way is Grant worth the contract he is playing on and it runs through 2006 if I am not mistaken.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL, I knew this one wouldn't be popular. Nonetheless, I still think it wouldn't be a bad deal.

* Would Derrick Coleman be a better deal? Sure. If we can free up that cap room, lets. I'm skeptical about our ability to improve through getting under the cap and attracting a FA, but if we could move that kind of money into an expiring contract like Coleman's, sure, let's do it.

* That being said, I've come around in my thinking some about the salary cap. It's true that Grant's overpaid, but so are Laettner and White. In terms of right now, the question is what can these guys do for us on the court. I think Grant can do more. He's a tough, classy veteran who could teach our kids a lot in the frontcourt. He'd open up a bit more time than they would get if Laettner and White were here and he's a better player than either of them.

* The only point I will grant is that Grant's contract, because it extends longer, makes him harder to move. But in reality, we wouldn't be looking to move him for another couple of years. By that point, a couple of years have run off his contract, and it's relatively easier to move.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another possible trade: Spree

(Keep in mind that I'm just throwing out ideas for the fun of it...)

I read that McDyess is probably going to miss the year for the Knicks. It might be straw that broke the camel's back and sends them into a full blown rebuilding. If so, would they consider:

White, Laettner, and Whitney for Spree?

On the surface, this seems like an odd trade, but it does make some sense.

For the Knicks. It gives them two big guys, both of whom, while overpaid, don't make as much as Spree. That makes them individually more movable. Upon White's return from injury, they field a lineup of

White, Laettner, Doleac
Thomas, Weatherspoon
Anderson
Houston, Postell
Ward, Eisley, Whitney, Williams (inj)

That's not a good lineup (IMO), but it's pretty well-rounded and it makes it somewhat more possible for the Knicks to make trades. Plus, they're clearly not happy with Spree.

-----------------------------------------------------------

For the Wiz, the trade hinges on the idea that we can play the young guys in the frontcourt. Some of the PT that would go to White and Laettner will go to Oakley, but we'll have less security blanket in case Haywood, Thomas, Brown, and Jeffries don't step up. On the upside, it provides an opportunity for those guys to step up. This trade also provides the roster room to keep Varda and Cardinal, whom the coaches seem to like.

For our backcourt, it makes things more crowded, but it also makes things more talented. Spree won't be ready to go for a month or so, but let's be honest, he's a better player than Russell, the guy who'll probably be losing the most minutes. And, given MJ's age and potential for injury, Spree would give us a great insurance policy.

Salary cap wise, it's pretty much a wash for us. The money tied up in L8ner and White now becomes tied up in Spree, but his contract expires at the same time.

What this trade would really does is take us as far as our young frontcourt players can take us. If Thomas, Brown, Haywood, and Jeffries can hold the fort, MJ, Stack, Spree, and Hughes should be able to go on the attack.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Wowsers...that means we would have 5 shooting guards in our backcourt? :eek:

I'd rather go with Grant. Or maybe Fortson?

Nah...

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
if i was a wiz fan, no way would i do this. I guess i am a wiz fan now. Because i really like the team that has been put together.

I also watch the Clippers. Denver will be worth watching. I have always watched the underdog and follow their progress. I find it enjoyable. Except for the Bulls. That has been painful from time to time.

The Wizards are far from being an underdog now. Bu they have a good blend of veterans and youth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts