Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Post your CD Recommendation of the Day

I have my own thread dedicated to a review of a recommended CD every day.

Everyone else is welcome to contribute a CD review per day on this thread.

Metal, Jazz, Punk, Blues, Folk, Classical, hip hop, reggae, pop, worldbeat, whatever you like. Whatever you want to turn other people on to.

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
Re: Post your CD Recommendation of the Day

TB1, just FYI, I'm actually going to grad school next year to get a Masters in Jazz Education, so obviously I'm a big jazz fan with a pretty big jazz album collection.

I'm hopefully getting my forum together soon, which I hope will be a little shrine for mostly jazz and a little hoops, because the hoops are found elsewhere here.

That's why my screen name is (Darius (Miles) Davis), a perfect blend of my two favorite arts, jazz and basketball. :)

·
36,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm a jazz fan myself. I'll certainly contribute to your forum, to the extent that I can (given your credentials, I'm sure your jazz knowledge runs deeper). I hope you'll see fit to grace my forum with your recommendations and comments as well.

Jazz is certainly an underrepresented topic in our music discussions on this site. It'll be great to get a little more in depth on the subject with some knowedgeable affectionados.

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
Originally posted by <b>TomBoerwinkle#1</b>!
I'm a jazz fan myself. I'll certainly contribute to your forum, to the extent that I can (given your credentials, I'm sure your jazz knowledge runs deeper). I hope you'll see fit to grace my forum with your recommendations and comments as well.

Jazz is certainly an underrepresented topic in our music discussions on this site. It'll be great to get a little more in depth on the subject with some knowedgeable affectionados.
You may know a lot more than me, TB1, I'm not sure. I'll be glad to contribute when I get a real chance.

-------------------------------------

DMD and I have been exchanging PMs today and talked a little about jazz. He doesn't have time to post anything of substance right now, but gave me permission to post a little bit of our conversation here. TB#1

TB#1: Actually, I'm here at work with Grant Green's "Complete Quartets With Sonny Clark" on the CD player right now.

DMD: My favorite cut from those CD's is "It Ain't Necessarily So." Art Blakey plays the **** out of a shuffle. Damn, he swings!

My favorite Grant record is "Matador," though, with McCoy Tyner and Elvin Jones!

If you like Grant, you should check out a younger guitarist named Peter Berstein, my favorite living jazz guitarist. He's got a lot of Grant in his playing. Check out the record "Signs of Life" on the small label Criss Cross Jazz.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts

Skywave

Remember the Shoegazer bands of the late 80's/early 90's? We're talking My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive, Ride, Lush, etc.
Since Slowdive's 1994 masterpiece Souvlaki was released, the genre has been all but dead.

Ten years later, we have what might be the best Shoegazer record that Alan Moulder didn't produce with Virgina-based Skywave's full-length debutSynthstatic. I had the fortune to come across their demo CD echodrone in 2000, and I'd wondered where they'd dissappeared to. I was delighted to see a review on Pitchfork, and was very exited that the band was still alive. Fortunately, the new album is worth the wait.

Though this band might be a rehash of the bands listed above, the songs have life, and an energy that was missed in the later releases of the popular Shoegazers (see Ride's Carnival Of Light and Pale Saints Slow Buildings.)

The guitars have the sweeping/swirling sounds of My Bloody Valentine's Loveless, and the ear-bleeding trebles of Jesus and Mary Chain's Psychocandy.

While this record doesn't exactly redefine the genre, it succeeds in reminding us that this genre hasn't been completely tapped out, and it sounds very welcome alongside today's indie bands. A major wave of these bands may have just finished recording their debuts, and a strong comeback maybe already underway. Let's just avoid calling it "Nu-gazer", mkay?

Electric Slim

Here is the Pitchfork review

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Check out Boban Markovic Live in Belgrade.

It is a gypsy brass album. Think Django Reinhardt gypsy mysticism meets Dizzy Gillispie big band panache with a dash of Sketches of Spain open space sound. They are tight, wild, meloncholic, powerful. It is difficult to listen to the album loud and not feel the tinge of a desire to abandon dull modern life and run away with those empassioned Gypsys.

·
BasketballBoards Fat Cat
1,320 Posts
Hey TB#1, nice forum!

I am also a jazz guy, but rather inexperienced. I hope to learn much from the discussions here and on DMD's forum. I'm headed over there right now to list some of my favorite jazz CDs. When I have a time, I'll try to write up a decent review in this thread.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Skyclad- Prince of the Poverty Line

One of the most consistent and best, IMO, metal bands of the 90's, this little heard, yet highly praised band hailing from England churned out a classic with their fourth full release. Provided with the brilliance of Martin Walkyier, the music is sharp, agressive, and catchy with that unique folk sound, accented by the use of the fiddle, that Skyclad has mastered. Lyrics are as always top notch and intelligent, full of puns and word play that highlight the witty satire directed at social and political issues. From the first song, Civil War Dance, alone, fantastic lyrics are abound. "Exchange inhuman wrongs for human rights. This underdog not only barks - it bites!...This system cultivates our lust and greed with anti-social insecurity." The rest of the album continues in similar fashion. Musically, there are no weakspots in the albums, only absolutely amazing songs to very very good songs. Catchy riffs all around that will keep you humming throughout the day. Top cuts include Cardboard City, Land of the Rising Slum (an interesting abberration that has a bit of a reggae sound to it), Gammadion Seed, and Womb of the Worm. Highly recommended, for metal fans and rock fans in general looking for something new and different.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Crimson Glory- Transcedence

An often overlooked band, Crimson Glory was really a trendsetter in the power/prog metal genre with their first two fantastic albums, of which the second I am reviewing. Upon the first listen of Transcendence, two immediate things catch your ear. The fast razor sharp riffs that have a speed metal flair to them and the mind blowing vocals of Midnight.

From the moment "Lady of Winter" kicks in, you are bombarded with quality riff after quality riff. They aren't exactly the "catchy" variety either, but of those that stay fresh listen after listen and delight your ears with the varied chord progressions. The rest of the guitar work is spectacular as well, with excellent lead work are blazingly fast and impressive yet entirely fitting with each song's context.

The vocals as I mentioned, simply make you pay attention to them. Midnight is of the Tate/Dickinson mold of singers, so he obviously is quite talented, but he has his own unique characteristic. He can simply hit notes that no other male singer can, and do it with style. Emotionally, his voice is full of passion, intensity, and some songs dreary meloncholy. He really can do it all, and his vocals really boast the album, and the greatly varied vocal harmonies add tremendous value and help build on the layering of each song.

Simply, an amazing album throughout, and any fan of prog metal would do very well to check this classic out. Every song is top notch, but the absolutely top cuts of the album are Masque of the Red Death, In Dark Places, Where Dragons Rule, and Burning Bridges.

AMG Review

·
Me lose brain? Uh oh!
5,702 Posts

Ghost - Hypnotic Underworld

Outside of a somewhat tedious 13-minute intro that is sparse and atonal, this is a pretty fantastic album. Spacey drone sections sit happily along anthemic and psychadelic rock songs that obviously take cues from Zeppelin and Floyd, and those are followed by theatrical grandeur that is like a cooler and less obnoxious Japanese version of Jethro Tull, complete with flute, or maybe even the Moody Blues.

AMG review because I'm too lazy to write a longer one

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts

Dead Cities, Red Seas & Lost Ghosts by M83

This album is a marvel of textured sonic landscapes. It's a very nice mix of electronica and acoustic sounds. It has the feel of an epic rock album while also sparking the imagination to build visualizations of the music, music uncomplicated by lyrics.

Here's the Pitchfork review

·
Registered
665 Posts

Sprawling orchestras and dense harmonies eclipse this space-rock masterpierce. Perhaps Jason Pierce's finest work with Spirtualized, this album opens with the transcendent title track and closes with the 17 minute epic featuring blues pianist Dr. John. Throughout the entire album, "J. Spaceman's" atmosheric vocals compliment the music perfectly. Each song comes wrapped in a ethereal druggy haze, ranging from pounding blues to laid-back phsychedelica. A myriad of instruments and a choir arranged by Pierce and Reverend Basil Hughes adds to the dense sound, to create album that sounds exactly what you would expect an album titled "ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space" to sound like.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Ok.

I just heard what is apparently to be one of the founders of Chicago house music, who goes by the name "Mitchball".

I'm just wondering if you've ever heard of the guy. It's early 80's Chicago so I figured.................

BTW, apparently he turns 60 next month.

I heard a bootlegged "Best Of", and apparently my friends know the guy who has the masters, and they're debating whether they should get the rights to release it.

TomB, I swear you'd get a kick out of this guy if you heard him.

The Mitchball Theme song is a kids song about this child-friendly man who hangs out at the park named Mitchball who always "gives us candy, which he always has handy".

The Chorus goes:

"Every thing you're after
Love is the answer" Said Mitch bah-all, Mitch bah-all

"Selfishness is for Losers
Understanding is for winners Said Mitch bah-all, Mitch bah-all

It's so beautifully ghetto it makes you want to cry. It's kind of like a more musically inclined (and black) Daniel Johnston. Highly Recommended (I almost want to send you a copy ).

·
Registered
4,393 Posts

This is fantastic heavy metal. I heard about this band for a whiles, and about a year ago saw the 2 CD bundle of Crunch/Screaming Symphony for only $14 on Amazon.com, so I went ahead and picked it up. Without doubt, it was certainly worth the purchase price.

Memorable crunchy riffs are all over this album and the guitar work by the namesake of the band, Chris Impellitteri, is excellent. Rob Rock provides some beautiful vocals and the chorus melodies are very varied and stick in your mind, far after the disc stops spinning. All the songs are total rockers, although several stick out. I absolutely love the chorus in Freak Show. "LIVING IN A FREAK SHOW!!!" Great stuff. The instrumental Spanish Fire absolutely rips. Listen to to that guitar!! That's talent. Speed Demon finishes off the album in style. The title is a bit of a misnomer. It's not much "speedier" than any of the tracks, but still, it's excellent. Great vocal work on the track with another catchy chorus. The album does have some weak points. There are some pointless electric noises and random sound bits placed before a few songs and in Wasted Earth's case, in the song. Not sure what the intention of this was, and does distract you from the music at times. Also, the disc runs a bit on the short side, coming in just under 40 minutes.

Still, this album is highly recommended, and with it being bundled with Screaming Symphony, you can't go wrong. About as good as you can get in the modern heavy/power metal scene.

·
Registered
665 Posts
In honor of my going to see Bob Dylan tonight in concert, and with about 45 minutes to kill before I leave, I've decided to pay tribute to the man himself with a review of my personal favorite Dylan album "Blonde on Blonde." Throughout all of his other records, this one stands out for me for some reason or another. Maybe it's that "thin, mercury sound" (dylan stated it was the closest he'd ever come to capturing the sound in his mind), the complete mastery he showed over his lyrics and voice, or the union of the legendary studio musicians and Dylan's raw genius. Perhaps it was the combination of all these factors that helped render what I believe is one of the greatest albums ever recorded. I remember seeing that someone wrote Bob Dylan captured the sound of 3 a.m. better than anyone else ever would. I think that serves as a pretty good summarization of the record. Some would say that Highway 61 Revisted is quintessential Dylan, but I would argue that this is Bob at his absolute finest.

·
36,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by <b>cafeteriabananas</b>!
In honor of my going to see Bob Dylan tonight in concert, and with about 45 minutes to kill before I leave, I've decided to pay tribute to the man himself with a review of my personal favorite Dylan album "Blonde on Blonde." Throughout all of his other records, this one stands out for me for some reason or another. Maybe it's that "thin, mercury sound" (dylan stated it was the closest he'd ever come to capturing the sound in his mind), the complete mastery he showed over his lyrics and voice, or the union of the legendary studio musicians and Dylan's raw genius. Perhaps it was the combination of all these factors that helped render what I believe is one of the greatest albums ever recorded. I remember seeing that someone wrote Bob Dylan captured the sound of 3 a.m. better than anyone else ever would. I think that serves as a pretty good summarization of the record. Some would say that Highway 61 Revisted is quintessential Dylan, but I would argue that this is Bob at his absolute finest.
since Visions of Johanna is probably my favorite Dylan song, nice call on this one.

·
Registered
665 Posts
since Visions of Johanna is probably my favorite Dylan song, nice call on this one.
Thats actually one of my favorites too, I was kind of dissapointed that he didn't play it live. Most of the stuff he played was off highway 61 and freewheelin'

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Heard of, yes. I knew someone who was a fan of their Valley of the Damned album. Personally, I haven't heard any actual songs, but I'll check it out. Most of the reviews I've read about the band are good, but nothing spectacular to suggest any seperation from the legions of other good power metal bands, which is why I never really made a significant effort to check them out.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts