Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several to share. I intend to post them one at a time. I'd also love to hear a memory from others. The good times.

The first memory I'd like to share is my first Bulls game. I've posted about this before, but I think its a decent one for a thread starter.

It was a preseason game in 1980. The game wasn't played at the Stadium. Instead, it was played at Lyons Township High School in La Grange, Il. Goes to show how far the NBA has come -- playing a preseason game in a HS gym.

I'm not positive, but I believe the Bulls played the Warriors. I had only been interested in basketball for about a year (the 1979 Bird/Magic NCAA's initially hooked me). We were able to walk around the floor of the gym. I stood next to Artis Gilmore when he was inbounding the ball.

After seeing the pro game up close and personal, I was hooked. Bulls fan for life.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
I was 15 when the Bulls won their third championship against Phoenix. I was in a car with a friend who just got his license and some other dudes, and we listened on the radio as Pax hit the game winning shot, and Grant blocked that shot. We drove around honking for hours while listening to that dun-da-dun-da-dun-HEY! song.

·
36,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That reminds me of another memory. During the 1990 Eastern Conference Finals (that Bruno had to bring up) some of my old college buddies and I were driving to Canada for a fly-in fishing trip. We were on a tight schedule, as we had to get to the base camp by a certain time in order to meet the sea plane to fly us in to our private lake.

It was game 2 or game 3 of the Chicago/Detroit series and coming down to the last three minutes in a close game. We were listening to the game on Chicago AM radio. We were in a hilly part of northern Michigan, heading up to cross the border at Sioux St. Marie, and we started to lose reception. We'd get the game toward the top of the hill and completely lose it in the valleys. Since we couldn't stop, we got in this ridiculous groove of creeping at the crest of the hills and gunning it through the valleys, as we heard "Paxson brings it across halfcourt, passes it in to Grant, who ^$%%%^&%^##^$&&%^%&^*&%*&%&&*%^* and Joe Dumars grabs the rebound. He guns it upcourt to @#$$#%^&&**(*(%%@!# and the Bulls call for time."

We lost reception completely before the game ended. Nobody knew anything about basketball at the base camp. Midweek, the bush pilot flew in some extra supplies for us. I asked if by chance he knew how the Bulls/Pistons series was going. He laughed and said they get no TV, no radio, nothing. As long as there are no mushroom clouds on the horizon, they figure they're ok. Every three months or so, someone goes into the nearest city to buy provisions, and they bring back some papers. So the Bulls had already lost that series by several days before I got back to civilization and found out about it.

·
Registered
9,192 Posts
The opening round of the 1977 NBA playoffs.

Intense series.

Bulls probably would have won the title had it not been for Portland.

Add to that I guess games 2 and 4 of the '92 Finals.

I know this isn't what you are looking for, but I'm a Portland fan...

·
BasketballBoards Fat Cat
1,320 Posts
Not a Bulls game, per se, but...

I attended the last game at Chicago Stadium, in 1994 or so. It was the Scottie Pippen Ameritech Charity Game. I never had the chance to see Jordan before he retired (the first time), so I made my mom buy tickets when I heard he might play. After swaying back and forth, MJ finally announced that he would indeed play! It was an incredible game, and Jordan scored 52 points. From my seat in the nosebleeds, I was snapping a picture as he bent down and kissed the floor at the end of the game.

(definitely not the photo I took :) )

Getting those tickets for $10 each was probably the deal of a lifetime. :grinning:

·
36,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyone else?

A memory of the '74 Bulls?

Crowding into the hotel bar to catch some of a championship game during a wedding reception?

A fond Dave Corzine moment?

Was anyone else at the '93 Grateful Dead show at Soldier Field, when the band broadcast part of the game on the jumbotrons?

Anyone meet a player?

Anyone win a game of H.O.R.S.E. against Dickie Simpkins?

Anyone buy a bag of weed from Da Bull?

Memories...

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Paxson gets a pass from Grant and hits a three pointer against PHX in game six to put the bulls up by one with 2 seconds left in the 4th. The bulls win their thrid title.

david

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
A favourite of mine was the classic moment when Pippen, inbounding the ball, bounced it off the back of the defender "guarding the inbounds passer" who had decided deny by turning and watching the other players on the court.

Pippen, inbounding from the baseline, flipped it off the unwary defender's back, stepped inbounds, fluidly recovered the loose ball and laid it up.

To me, that play sums up Pippen. Intelligent, crafty, graceful and utterly effectively.

The other thing that really sums up the younger, high-flying editions of the Jordan/Pippen Bulls, to me, was the game Jordan and Pippen would play, taking turns being the man back when the other was shooting free throws and coming racing in to rebound and dunk the missed second free throw.

It was so spectacular, it almost seemed like Jordan and Pippen were toying with opponents.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Foundest Memory

Back in the '93 ECF, Bulls vs. Knicks, Game 5, MSG! Series tied 2-2, Knicks with a 27 game home winning streak! I was 13 then and I always wore a Bulls shirt, shorts and socks during every game(couldn't find the underwear!)! Well, the series pretty much went to the winner of this game.

I remember watching the game in my bedroom. The Bulls came out strong and led most of the game, then the Knicks made the run in the 4th. BJ hit the three from the corner to give the Bulls a 2 point lead, Knicks hit one free throw to cut it to one. Bulls were unable to score and Knicks had the ball with the chance to win. Then came the biggest defensive play in Bulls history.........

Ewing drives to his left(traveled but that doesn't matter), dishes to Charles Smith, up, stripped by Jordan, up, blocked by Pippen, up again, again blocked by Pippen, up again, and blocked by who, PIPPEN!! Grant pulls it out, gets it to Jordan, Jordan up to BJ and the Bulls win by 3! I don't even remember watching BJ score, I was jumping up and around in circles!!!!!

That game sticks out in my mind more than any other game for some reason, if anybody has that game on tape, I would love a copy of it, willing to trade games cause I have quite a few on tape.

Been a Bulls fan since 1987 and I will die a Bulls fan!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My favorite moment would have to be the time MJ slammed the ball in Mutumbo's face and then waggled his finger (which was Mutumbo's "patented" gesture when he blocked a shot).

It cost MJ a technical foul, but it really demoralized the Hawks and I can't recall ever laughing as hard or cheering as loudly!

·
Moderator/Head Decepticon
7,624 Posts
I think the first game/series I actually remember as a kid was the Bulls/Suns Finals Matchup back in 1993. All I know is that Jordan was dominating them, so I suppose that would be my fondest memory.

·
The Snake
6,527 Posts
Besides the memories others have mentioned the couple I still have after two years of college are...

A regular season game in 1995 I believe where Reggie had hit a shot to put Indy up 2 with 0.7 left and then Kukoc banked in a 3 at the buzzer to win it and leaving Reggie proverbially stewing in his own juices...

Right after a tough move to Washington, D.C. from Chicago and watching Jordan and company destroy the Sonics (ok well Kemp and GP played well), all the while, completely missing all my friends from back home who I had just left.

·
Old-Timer
2,619 Posts
Chicago Bulls Dynasty DVD

God, I've really been wanting to get my favorite memories down in this thread but I've been so busy lately, I haven't had time to post them (whenever I do, I think I will challenge for the longest post ever).

However, I did go to BestBuy yesterday to purchase the new Chicago Bulls Dynasty DVD set and I just wanted to give it a shoutout. It's basically a whole bunch of highlight tapes that were already released (Learning to Fly, Un-Stop-A-Bulls) combined with the really cool part...six different NBA Finals games in their entirety. One from each championship season. Here's a quick overview of the games:

1991 - Game 5 (the clincher...MJ playing with a broken toe...I remember they actually cut a hole in his shoe because it was too painful otherwise...Pax making a big shot down the stretch to seal it)
1992 - Game 1 (MJ scores 35 in the first half...sets a record for most 3-pointers in one half)
1993 - Game 6 (the clincher...the third-most famous shot in Bulls history...Pax drains it from downtown to give the Bulls the three-peat...I remember how uneasy I was in that game because the Sun had just shocked the hell out of everyone by beating us in Game 5 in Chicago)

1996 - Game 6 (the clincher...I was also uneasy about this one...if I remember correctly, the Bulls had only lost one game in the playoffs going into the Finals and just blasted the Sonics in the first three games, once leading by more than 40 pts in Game 3...Sonics surprisingly came back and won Games 4 and 5 before the Bulls clinched in this one...closed out the greatest season in NBA history, though I think the 92 and 93 Bulls teams were better)
1997 - Game 5 (MJ's flu game...unbelievable...regardless whether MJ was really as sick as he made it look or not, he was definitely somewhat sick...Pippen practically holds MJ up as they were walking off the court following a huge Jordan three...classic)
1998 - Game 6 (most famous shot in Bulls history and what should have gone down as the perfect ending to MJ's career...this series was the first time I thought the Bulls might lose...they were absolutely spent at the end...what most people forget is MJ got the huge steal from Malone to even get the possession to hit "The Shot II")

Anyway, I actually haven't watched any of this DVD yet, but I can't wait. Looking back on these years brings back so many good memories, I get goose bumps just thinking about it. Damnit, I wish we were good again!!! :sigh:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts