Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The age 20 rule that may be part of the NBA's new CBA may keep players like Francisco Garcia from going pro this year. GM's are expecting a flood of both high school and international players who would have to wait for the 2007 draft if the rule is included in the new CBA.

"Here's our plan with Francisco- I said here's the situation- in other years you would be drafted from about 8 to 15, but because every agent in the world is telling every high school kid and every college kid to go out because of the 20 year age rule, there's more competition," said Louisville coach Rick Pitino. "Foreign as well, this could be one of the strongest drafts in maybe 10 years."

All year long Garcia has been stating that he'd be turning pro, but after a four=point performance in the Final Four and with stiffer competition, he might just return for this senior season.

"We've talked about it many times. Because of the 20 age rule, which I do think will go in- the commissioner wants it, the office wants it. And what's the big deal about coming back, you could spend another year at the greatest University in the world. That's not so bad.
CardinalSports.com

What are your thoughts on having an age limit for players in the NBA Draft? Would it be better for the NBA as a league or does it matter that players that are going from the high school game to the NBA now?

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
HOWIE said:
CardinalSports.com

What are your thoughts on having an age limit for players in the NBA Draft? Would it be better for the NBA as a league or does it matter that players that are going from the high school game to the NBA now?
I'd like to see a minor league system established that the players would enter after high school. Do away with the silly fiction of college sports altogether. If you do that, there's no need for an age limit.

barfo

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
I don't think that an age floor is a good idea. I think that it should be up to each NBA team to determine their level of risk and their time horizon for their investment (draft pick).

I think that firming up a minor league system is a better answer and a more fair approach... I'm hoping that the new CBA offers this so young players can get playing time under the NBA umbrella even if they're not on the active roster of the parent club.

Ed O.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
barfo said:
I'd like to see a minor league system established that the players would enter after high school. Do away with the silly fiction of college sports altogether. If you do that, there's no need for an age limit.
I agree entirely.

But the threat of the age floor might certainly play to Portland's advantage if it leads to a flood of international players entering the draft. The larger the pool, the better.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Even if it goes in to the CBA, I'm sure it will be challenged shortly after. I think it's wrong to impose an age minimum: if a legal adult is capable of making their living doing the job and an employer is willing to pay them, why should anyone be able to say no? Especially in pro sports, where other sports have underage players all the time, much less under 20. How often do you see a gymnast over 20? The NBA should recognize this and have a farm system, not just the NBDL. Then a team would not hesitate drafting someone who couldn't contribute before their initial contract runs out. We could even see more rounds to the draft and have some parts of the country see more basketball. I suppose this is why the NBA doesn't, at least in part, want this: increased competition from their minor league and partial loss of the free collegiate system.

For this year, I guess that it means fewer sure things. If the Blazers aren't looking at a really top prospect, like Bogut, Marvin Williams, Chris Paul, etc., then it might be worth trading down for 2 picks and try for some of the foreign guys and high schoolers, or a decent vet/journeyman and a lower pick.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I am for the age limit, but I doubt it would have all that much effect on the draft this year. Effectively now the age limit is 18. Those that are 20 for this draft would not be affected. Those that are 19 for this draft will be 20 for the draft next year, so it seems they would not be in any more hurry to declare this year than they would otherwise. It would affect those that are 18 now who think they might want to go to college one year and then declare. They would need to wait for two years. So, I suppose a few more kids might come out straight from high school that otherwise wouldn't. How many of these kids are teams actually interested in? I believe the number is pretty small.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
its a good idea but being the nba they wont do it right with a farm system in place, the effect of it going in for portland could be that more international guys throw thier in the draft. But it could limit the amount of people declearing and we end up with a lot of hohum high schoolers declearing and thats it.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
The age limit for draft eligibility would be the greatest thing to happen to the NBA in a while.

Not only will it deepen the draft with players that are more able to contribute, but it makes it more exciting.

I think farm systems are a joke, too.

The reason:

No one, but the most staunch fan of the game, knows who most of these players out of HS are. They haven't built up a reputation. So, no one cares about the draft except huge fans of the sport or team. The same goes for baseball....

Football on the other hand ... even non-fans can often tell you the big names coming out of college and what position they play. It's good for the sport. It generates excitement.

If the NFL went farm system, it would ruin that.

I think the NBA would best be served by using the NCAA.

As for grown men making a living - eh, get over it. They don't give series licences or doctor's licencing out to people under 20, I don't see the big issue.

Play.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Oh yeah, what about Doogie Howser?

Really though, no one is qualified to be a doctor at age 20.....whereas one can be qualified to play in the NBA at that age.

Now doesn't the CBA run out on June 30th? If so, it wouldn't have any effect on this year's draft.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Playmaker0017 said:
The age limit for draft eligibility would be the greatest thing to happen to the NBA in a while.

Not only will it deepen the draft with players that are more able to contribute, but it makes it more exciting.

I think farm systems are a joke, too.

The reason:

No one, but the most staunch fan of the game, knows who most of these players out of HS are. They haven't built up a reputation. So, no one cares about the draft except huge fans of the sport or team. The same goes for baseball....

Football on the other hand ... even non-fans can often tell you the big names coming out of college and what position they play. It's good for the sport. It generates excitement.

If the NFL went farm system, it would ruin that.

I think the NBA would best be served by using the NCAA.

As for grown men making a living - eh, get over it. They don't give series licences or doctor's licencing out to people under 20, I don't see the big issue.

Play.
the NFL has a farm league in the NFL EUROPE LEAGUE aka the old World League, 16 NFLEL players were in the SuperBowl this year. The NFLEL is making american football popular in europe, japan and mexico, sorry Playmaker but you are wrong about the NFL and thier Farm system.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Utherhimo said:
sorry Playmaker but you are wrong about the NFL and thier Farm system.
No, I'm not.

How many American can name players can you list on the Claymores? How many can they name off of their all-star rosters?

The farm system isn't a farm system, it is to expand football to other areas of the world. It has nothing to do with development of players for the draft or the NFL.

The true draft and development of players with potential is from the NCAA and that's it.

The reverse is true of baseball. Most players come from the farm system. But conversely, who knows any of these players in the farm leagues? No one but the most avid homer.

Play.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
NBAGOD said:
Really though, no one is qualified to be a doctor at age 20.....whereas one can be qualified to play in the NBA at that age.
Actually, there are and they would be quite fine.

Medical school is mostly about duration and proving you WANT to be a doctor. You could TEACH a doctor to be a good doctor in a year or two. Instead, they make it a marathon.

Most of my family is in medicine, and this is their wording, not mine.

Most of these guys can take out insurance to protect their future. I don't have any sympathy for them, and I think it will make the sport THAT much better.

Now doesn't the CBA run out on June 30th? If so, it wouldn't have any effect on this year's draft.
It would, only because guys that wouldn't have declared this year will do so to get in under the old system.

Play.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
As I said in the draft forum, I don't think it gets approved because the players association is going to want to give up the rookie salary cap and if they can't do a trade, then it's not going to happen. The main goal of Stern and company is to reduce the number of years from 7 to 5.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
HKF said:
As I said in the draft forum, I don't think it gets approved because the players association is going to want to give up the rookie salary cap and if they can't do a trade, then it's not going to happen. The main goal of Stern and company is to reduce the number of years from 7 to 5.
I don't know.

I think it benefits veteran players, so the Player's Association will have incentive to approve it.

It means less roster spots taken by an 18 year old that can't play yet and that means more veterans being employed.

Since the goal of the PA is to help these guys, rather than rookies, I think they have a marginal incentive to do it.

Play.

·
The Bilson = Jayhawk Love
6,884 Posts
I'd be all for the one the NFL has. But I'd have a minor league system at the level of the MLB. Give each team 3 minor league levels, and have unlimited call ups and send downs.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
It seems there are two ways to look at it: from the NBA's perspective and the young player's perspective.

The teenager's perspective is, "Hey, I'm old enough to vote or get killed in a war. Why can't I make a load of dough playing a child's game? If I go to college and blow my knee out, I won't make any money." That's a perfectly valid perspective for them to have. I've often said that if you have the talent to make it to the NBA and you are over 18, you are a fool not to do so. College can always wait.

However, from the NBA's perspective they are seeing league-wide youngsters take up veteran player spots. It simply HAS to lower the overall talent of the league as guys like Chandler and Curry and Jermaine O'Neal and Travis Outlaw take years to develop into viable players. Yes, there is LeBron, but other than him there simply isn't a long list of instant high school-to-NBA successes. Meanwhile, guys who can still play the game but have no upside, guys who are better RIGHT NOW (but not in the future) are losing their jobs so youngsters can learn how to play the game.

As a fan of the game, my best interests really align much more closely to the NBA than to the high schoolers. I would rather see a quality player who knows the game out on the court than a kid who is just learning it.

It's in the best interest of the NBA (and NBA fans) to do something to stop letting all or nearly all teenagers into the league.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I think the NBA should add 1 year to roookie contracts for each year under 20. Example, 18 year old player declares and is drafted. The team gets a option to have two additional years on his contract on the rookie scale. This protects teams from having to develop players for years and having them become FA's after the team has invested time. The team option puts a fail safe for players who can't make it to be waived at the end of the the normal rookie scale. Wouldn't this solve the problem?

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Peaceman said:
Wouldn't this solve the problem?
No.

The problem is that these kids are taking up roster spots that veteran players could fill.

Also, these players are coming into the league and can't contribute. College acts as a teaching ground for these guys. Teaches them fundamentals. It also tries to help teach them that they can't acts like little kids and get their way all the time. Because on the college level, you don't get away with most of the stuff out that the nBA guys do.

Play.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
theWanker said:
The teenager's perspective is, "Hey, I'm old enough to vote or get killed in a war. Why can't I make a load of dough playing a child's game? If I go to college and blow my knee out, I won't make any money." That's a perfectly valid perspective for them to have.
Except that if the player is good enought o make the NBA now, they are good enough for the school they play for to cover them with an insurance contract or for them to cover themselves with one. In the eventuality of an injury, the player would get X amount of dollars.

I know that plenty of NCAA football players have those contracts. It protects them -- and the chance of injury to a player in football is far greater than basketball.

I think the teen's perspective forgets that aspect.

Play.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
I think it's a good thing. The Players Association will go for it as it will prolong veteran salaries, plus it will bring guys who in general are less maintenence into the league. A coupole years of college definately should help guys be emotionally ready for the league.

I don't think that there's any room for an appeal process. I'm sure that someone will file one, but I don't think anyone will file it on behalf of more than an individual.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts