Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NY Post says Pratt added Seton Hall to his list. It would be ashamed if he want in that direction. Pratt is an exceptional player at the mid-major level but would be a bench player in major Big East competition.

A SHU, he'd probaby start in his freshman year and be recruited over immediately. By his soph year, he probably would be seeing only limited minutes. That's what happed to Dexter Gray who opted for St. John over Iona at the last minute. By November of Gray's freshman year, the Red Storm got LOIs from bigger, faster men and Gray was on the bench shortly after the start of his second season. Gray is at Iona now and won't be eligible until December.

For SHU, Pratt would be a stop-gap measure on a team that likely won't get to the NCAAs for at least three years. What a shame!

· Registered
88 Posts
Makes you wonder if SHU would have shown any interest in him had Gonzo not gotten the new coaching gig.

Gonzo probably recruited Pratt as a primary player for the Jaspers. He's now recruiting him as matter of convenience for the Pirates.

This is another classic example of the majors dipping down to the mid-major level for players late in the recruiting game. Dexter Gray is the latest perfect example of this. Gray, now at Iona, will have plenty of opportunity to show what he can do in games on the court, rather than fill the role as a practice player at SJU watching the games from the bench.

Hopefully, Pratt will make a wise choice and stick to the mid-major level, where the competition ain't too shabby (as demonstrated this past NCAA season) and where he won't be fighting tooth and nail for playing time for the next four years.

· Registered
2,114 Posts
I have stopped in at the SHU board a few times since they have named their new coach. Quite funny thing I have noticed. They were chatting about some 3 and 4 star recruits saying they want better then that, and now that they signed a 2 star recruit they are applauding the signing. I have not seen Pratt play but I think from reports he is a mid major player not a BE player. I know there is not much on the SHU roster and there are numerous 2 star recruits that become stars at BE schools but SHU fans were talking about luring Lance Thomas, Werner, Horner and other top players to SHU posting like it was going to happen or expecting the announcement and anything less would unacceptable and now they are claiming the Pratt signing as a major get

· Registered
170 Posts
soup said:
Rivals says that Pratt also had an offer from Jamie Dixon and Pitt.

If Donald Copeland can play in the Big East - Pratt can.
Most teams in the MAAC have at least one kid who would play major minutes in the Big East. Look at Seton Hall's roster the last few years - basically a top tier MAAC team there, but with a little more size.

Gonzo recruits winners. Pratt has the Rice pedigree - I think he'll do fine at SHU, though he'd have been a very good get for Iona or Manhattan.

· Registered
1,622 Posts
VealCutlet said:
Most teams in the MAAC have at least one kid who would play major minutes in the Big East. Look at Seton Hall's roster the last few years - basically a top tier MAAC team there, but with a little more size.

Gonzo recruits winners. Pratt has the Rice pedigree - I think he'll do fine at SHU, though he'd have been a very good get for Iona or Manhattan.
I think West Virginia also offered.

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
VealCutlet said:

I'm sure Pratt will do OK at SHU. But I'm equally convinced that Gonzo will recruit over him by the November signing period. It's not that Pratt can't play BE basketball, it just that threre are even better players that Gonzo will go after. Pratt at Iona or Manhattan would have started every game of his career.

· Registered
3,646 Posts
Gonzo has done pretty well by having a two-headed monster run the point and is always interchanging players among the 1-2-3 positions. Pratt will get plenty of time throughout his career.

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's happening already. Gonzo is after New Jersey's Eugene Harvey a much-heralded point guard, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of the Bergen Record and ESPN.com. Wojnarowski said Gonzo told Harvey "he was going to recruit the unsigned senior hard until the kid made a decision."

So it appears he's already recruiting over Pratt, who gave his commitment to Gonzo only days ago. What's going to happen in the fall when a bunch of new high-powered players become available? He'll bury Pratt on the bench.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.