Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

341 - 360 of 372 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Realistically, without the "300 Club" the top teams wouldn't amass so many wins. And probably be rated lower.
You never hear Ohio St. suggest that Indiana get thrown outta the Big 10* for not winning more football games.

*It's not ten. What, maybe 15?
This doesn't make sense. There will still be teams at the top and bottom of the conference no matter how anyone does in the OOC. All of our ratings would go up because we would all have higher strength of schedules.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I've been wondering, is Vermont as prohibitive a favorite this season as we've ever seen in the AE? On paper, does this Vermont team have the makings of one of the school's all time best teams?
It's getting hype that is rivaling the 2005 team from national media (if the 2005 squad was around in the age of social media, it would have been 100x more especially given 2 superstars and Tom Brennan). That 2005 team wasn't as heavily favored because there were good BU and Northeastern teams, but I don't think there was much doubt who was the favorite. A lot different now. By any oddsmakers, UVM might be the most favored in history, but given the last 2 decades of the program, the standard for all-time best remains 2005 until otherwise matched or surpassed, and that's extremely difficult to do. Heck, even passing the 16-0 squad from 2 years ago on the all-time list is a challenge.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have to say it all feels a touch overdone to me. Not that we shouldn’t be the clear favorite but let’s see where we are after December 3rd. By that point we will have played St. Bonaventure, BU, Bucknell, St. John’s, Virginia, Yale and Cincinnati. At that point, we’ll know if the national hype is justified.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I have to say it all feels a touch overdone to me. Not that we shouldn’t be the clear favorite but let’s see where we are after December 3rd. By that point we will have played St. Bonaventure, BU, Bucknell, St. John’s, Virginia, Yale and Cincinnati. At that point, we’ll know if the national hype is justified.
So many people are sleeping on the schedule. It's not like any of those teams you mentioned plus UNC Greensboro are slouches. This team could very well take some early lumps. I'd feel a lot better about the national hype if Ernie Duncan was given a magical 6th year. It's not that they will fall apart without him, but I think there's gonna be some games early where it's obvious how big of a role he played, especially if the guards are struggling from 3.

Hype, no hype the goal is same as it ever was, win the auto bid (because it's the only way for them to get in, anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves) and go see what you can do.

·
Registered
13,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #353
UVM has a very hard D1 OOC schedule this season and I think they have the team for it. No injuries!!!!
As they should considering how loaded they are...truth be told they haven't fared well in up games in terms of W-L. But they should absolutely challenge themselves. Their OOC record should be viewed through that prism though, that's it's tough sledding. If they drop a few sky's not falling...

·
Registered
13,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #354 (Edited)
SI has ranked every team...

Link Here!!

If you'd rather skip the long read...

62 - UVM - About right, maybe a tad...tad to high IMO
183 - SBU - About right, maybe a tad to high
207 - Albany - About right, last year wasn't good and they have to improve significantly on the defensive end
209 - UMBC - About right
273 - Lowell - To low IMO, I'd have them closer to 200. Decent experienced core
335 - Harford - IMO to low...*gasp in Spanish*...I think their two high end transfers will be good enough to keep them out of the deep 300's. I think will be some 50 spots higher.
340 - Bingo - It's a mess about right
342 - UNH - Completely cluster, not sure what UNH is doing
343 - Maine - LOL, but they do have Flemming so maybe they finish closer to 300.

Four in the DEEP 300's...sigh

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I do feel like Hartford is getting the short end of most previews, both statistically-based and eye test-based, as a result of the amount of roster turnover they experienced. There's just no data people want to, or are able to, accurately assess. I think Ellison and Carter alone will be enough to make them passable and not mired in the 330s.

·
Registered
13,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #356
I do feel like Hartford is getting the short end of most previews, both statistically-based and eye test-based, as a result of the amount of roster turnover they experienced. There's just no data people want to, or are able to, accurately assess. I think Ellison and Carter alone will be enough to make them passable and not mired in the 330s.
Agreed...obviously there is always the looming specter of Gallagher who isn't a good coach. So who knows to what degree he'll be able to maximize their talents.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have to say it all feels a touch overdone to me. Not that we shouldn’t be the clear favorite but let’s see where we are after December 3rd. By that point we will have playedSt. Bonaventure, BU, Bucknell, St. John’s, Virginia, Yale and Cincinnati . At that point, we’ll know if the national hype is justified.
They'll certainly take some lumps.
@ST. Bonaventure
@Bucknell
BU
@ST. John’s
@virginia
Central Connecticut (Mohegan)
Rider/Columbia (Mohegan)
@Yale
@cincinnati
Towson
UNC Greensborough
Lipscomb
George Washington
@Dartmouth
(Not counting Gallaudet)

Unfortunately they play the heavyweights on the road. I'm hoping for 10-4.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Odds of Vermont starting 0-2 are greater/less than/equal to starting 2-0?

Odds of Vermont starting 1-4 are greater/less than/equal to starting 4-1?

Discuss.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Odds of Vermont starting 0-2 are greater/less than/equal to starting 2-0?

Odds of Vermont starting 1-4 are greater/less than/equal to starting 4-1?

Discuss.
Guessing more likely 2-0, but .. Bonaventure will likely be a close game. Has been the last couple of years and Olean is a tough place to play. Bucknell lost a few guys but was still #2 in the Patriot preseason poll. Most likely outcome is 1-1.

More likely 4-1, which would be a fantastic start. 1-4 would be a little disappointing. BU is supposed to be stronger this season but at home UVM will be favored. St John's is a winnable game but they're still Big East athletes. Not much hope of winning at Virginia I don't think. More likely 3-2.

·
Registered
13,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #360
Guessing more likely 2-0, but .. Bonaventure will likely be a close game. Has been the last couple of years and Olean is a tough place to play. Bucknell lost a few guys but was still #2 in the Patriot preseason poll. Most likely outcome is 1-1.

More likely 4-1, which would be a fantastic start. 1-4 would be a little disappointing. BU is supposed to be stronger this season but at home UVM will be favored. St John's is a winnable game but they're still Big East athletes. Not much hope of winning at Virginia I don't think. More likely 3-2.
I think 3-2 would be very good...2-3 slightly disappointing and 1-4 would be a big disappointment out of the gate. KenPom has 3-2 with the first three games basically tossups other then the BU game at home.

341 - 360 of 372 Posts