Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the summer quickly passing by, as AAU events, skills camps, etc. come and go, and kids start making their college decisions, how about giving us your best guess on what your 2013 recruiting class will look like when it's all said and done.

Xavier

Xavier will have 4 scholarships to give in '13, but might take 5 because it seems someone always leaves, and Chris Thomas might not make it to campus if he has a big year at Chipola and goes pro.

Chris Thomas - Rivals #5 (juco)(committed)
Devin Williams - Rivals #77
Kris Jenkins - Rivals #60
Roddy Peters - Rivals #108
Isaiah Johnson - Rivals UR

That's my best guess. A few other names to watch who could end up a part of the '13 class would be:

Davon Reed - Rivals #80
EC Matthews - Rivals #99

·
Registered
127 Posts
I definitely think your list is pretty close. I think Isaiah Johnson is pretty close to a lock and Peters isn't too far behind. As good as EC Matthews is, the staff still hasn't offered because I really think they don't expect him to qualify. I REALLY hope we can get Devin Williams and hopefully we can get him to sign in the Fall or I think that one may be lost because I'm hearing his "inner circle" thinks he is too good for Xavier. I would love one of Kris Jenkins and Davon Reed as the wing for the class (outside of Thomas who is still a big question mark).

If we can't land Williams or Reed/Jenkins I definitely see us landing a wing/forward that probably isn't that high on our radar right now because it will probably be someone that Pegues or Howard has an inside track on (like we are just finding out about with Peters).

Either way, I definitely think we are going to reel in another top 25 class, especially as long as Thomas stays in the fold

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
Xavier's list can change with the addition of the two new assistant coaches who had a pipeline of their own.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Bona's fans won't know until next June.

We will have four scholarships opening up (Conger, Mosley, Davenport, Johnson) in addition to, possibly, the one current unused scholarship (and 18 pages worth of messageboard wittering) resulting from Jake Houseknecht graduating early. If this year's freshmen pan out like last year's did, we should be fairly set on size (Matthias Runs is occasionally listed at 7', Ndoye has got to be close, Dion Wright seems to play more as a short 4 but needs to hit the weight room, Toupane is a tall 3). I'd like to see a PG brought in with this last scholarship this year to give him a year to learn behind Mosley and Kloof, but I don't think anyone good enough is still available. That being said, the ideal mix, for me, next year is 1 big, two that can shoot, a PG and the best available player. No idea who those are going to be. According to the internet, we have interest in a couple PFs, Joshua Davenport (who I don't see happening), Khalil Dukes (hopefully he realizes what a basketball blackhole USC is), Scootchie (who I'd like to get just so I don't have to read Muddy's posts) but Schmidt always seems to sign guys we only heard of 10 hours previously, while the people that have been discussed for 2 years float away.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Like Bona Wolf and the Bona fans, Richmond fans typically hear about a commit the day of such commit. Not true always but Terry Allen, who is 1/2 our current freshman class was that way. I will say the class before that Alonzo Nelson-Ododa and Trey Davis, and Luke Piotrowski were well followed on our board prior to their verbals. Richmond is definitely in for two guards, one of which will definitely be a PG type. We are in on some pretty high profile guys like Kameron Williams, Jaylen Brantley, and even Khalil Dukes mentioned above. These guys seems to be blowing up so may be a good chance that we get some guys not as well known. It will be interesting to see, but I have a feeling we get one or two in the fall, and the other open slots carry into the spring again.

·
Premium Member
8,260 Posts
Bona's fans won't know until next June.

We will have four scholarships opening up (Conger, Mosley, Davenport, Johnson) in addition to, possibly, the one current unused scholarship (and 18 pages worth of messageboard wittering) resulting from Jake Houseknecht graduating early. If this year's freshmen pan out like last year's did, we should be fairly set on size (Matthias Runs is occasionally listed at 7', Ndoye has got to be close, Dion Wright seems to play more as a short 4 but needs to hit the weight room, Toupane is a tall 3). I'd like to see a PG brought in with this last scholarship this year to give him a year to learn behind Mosley and Kloof, but I don't think anyone good enough is still available. That being said, the ideal mix, for me, next year is 1 big, two that can shoot, a PG and the best available player. No idea who those are going to be. According to the internet, we have interest in a couple PFs, Joshua Davenport (who I don't see happening), Khalil Dukes (hopefully he realizes what a basketball blackhole USC is), Scootchie (who I'd like to get just so I don't have to read Muddy's posts) but Schmidt always seems to sign guys we only heard of 10 hours previously, while the people that have been discussed for 2 years float away.
I'd like to play a game where you spin a globe and point at a place to figure out where the next Bona recruit will be from. I'm starting to think Schmidt has a commission deal with whoever supplies flag man.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I'd like to play a game where you spin a globe and point at a place to figure out where the next Bona recruit will be from. I'm starting to think Schmidt has a commission deal with whoever supplies flag man.
I quite like it. At some point soon, our team is just going to be the starting fives from Lee Academy and Canarias, but the international players seem to be a little more interesting to watch and a little more humble around campus. It seems like Schmidt is going hard in New England this year, though.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Fordham is holding on to one ship right now and will have another to give when Gaston uses up his eligibility.
As of now, one of those ships is going to Jake Fay whose older brother was a walk-on last season and will be on scholarship this coming season. Jake Fay is a 6'5" SG out of Brimmer & May.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
-Josh Brown realizes he made a mistake and recommits, albeit after joining the top 150 and collecting offers from Memphis, Gonzaga, Virginia, etc.
-Rondae Jefferson realizes that the mere idea of going to Rutgers is completely ridiculous, especially after we've treated his brother like royalty, and commits to Temple
-Rysheed Jordan spurns Memphis, Nova, Kansas, Maryland, Georgetown, Pitt, etc. and commits to Temple
-There are 5 PF/C we're recruiting hard. Hopefully we land 2 of them

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another name to watch for Xavier fans, and Temple fans, is Rysheed Jordan. He's ranked #16 in 2013 and recently made an unofficial visit to Xavier, which apparently went really well. Ashley Howard is recruiting him.

Here's a tweet about Jordan:

Dick Weiss‏@NYDNDickWeiss

blue chip g rasheed jordan of phlly vaux taking hard look at xavier. if he commits, give new assistant ashley howard round of applause
I still think Xavier is a little late to this party, but Rysheed would be a great pick up for sure.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
If Rysheed commits to Xavier, we should fire all of our assistant coaches.

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
My prediction for GW's 2013 class, probably optimistic, but hey:

Combo Nigel Johnson
SG Josh Hart
PF Kris Jenkins

All are local kids and the last two are being pursued by many BCS schools. We may not get this exact class, but I'm pretty confident we'll bring in three kids of the same quality based on the names we are targeting.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
VCU has 2 2013 guards committed already in JeQuan Lewis and Jairus Lyles. They chose to come to VCU over BCS offers from Georgia and Oklahoma State respectively.

We have 1 more spot left in the class that we are using on a big man. The big fish that we'd like to land is 6'9 Miami big man Antravious Simmons who boasts offers from Alabama, Georgia, Kansas State, Memphis, Miami (Fl), South Carolina, Mississippi State, South Florida, Temple, Murray State, and UCF. He's recently said that VCU and Alabama are his top 2 schools. It will be tough going up against former VCU HC Anthony Grant, but we're hoping we can land him this summer. We'll need big men like him to be able to compete at the highest level in the A-10 with the front-courts we'll see in this league.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
My prediction for GW's 2013 class, probably optimistic, but hey:

Combo Nigel Johnson
SG Josh Hart
PF Kris Jenkins

All are local kids and the last two are being pursued by many BCS schools. We may not get this exact class, but I'm pretty confident we'll bring in three kids of the same quality based on the names we are targeting.
You are not getting Hart or Jenkins. Hart is a Georgetown lean. I think I've heard Rutgers for Jenkins. I wouldn't be confident about GW landing two top 90 recruits.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts