Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...Charlotte. No one has mentioned this possibility, but if Charlotte plays their Expansion draft right they could have the money top sign a player like Rasheed.

Why would Sheed sign there? The UNC connection IMO is too skinny to count for much.

My guess is Sheed, and his concerns about the white ownership groups, may look at Charlotte as a good place to play, being that it is owned by the founder of BET.

Just a thought there, I'm not trying to raise the race flag, but I don think it may be a factor to Rasheed.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
I think he will sign with us...

then we will trade him by next years deadline

·
Registered
721 Posts
expansion teams rarely go for a top free agent in their first yaer, they usually go for role players and good draft picks...but its possible..:confused:

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Schilly</b>!
My guess is Sheed, and his concerns about the white ownership groups, may look at Charlotte as a good place to play, being that it is owned by the founder of BET.

Just a thought there, I'm not trying to raise the race flag, but I don think it may be a factor to Rasheed.
You just did. :no:

I don't think this would be a factor at all.

I do agree that Charlotte is a possibility.
I'm with Trader Bob-I too think he will sign with the Blazers.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Just a little side thought here, but Portland is a very nice, clean and safe city compared to where many of us grew up in the east coast. I believe that Mrs. Wallace may have a few words about leaving Portland for a bigger market with her kids who are in school there. The schools in Portland are far above the level to places like Miami where I live, and hell of a lot less dangerous!

Sheed may play the race card from time to time but I bet you top dollar he never feels worried about walking around on the Portland streets after midnight. Where he grew up, he most certainly would.

Believe me Mrs. Wallace will have a say before this is all said and done.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Excellent point Terrible

BTW I should have called it A thought rather than a prediction. AS it was a thought htat crossed my mind after talking to my Br In law last night who was still griping about sheeds "racism".

Mostly I was wondering if that was enough of an issue to Rasheed to make a difference.

Not my race flag!! I don't own one.

Mostly just wonering if Sheeds may factor in.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Charlotte has a very low cap and wont want to blow alot of it on sheed if he wants alot of money. Expansion tams build on cheap rookie contracts.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Starbury03</b>!
Charlotte has a very low cap and wont want to blow alot of it on sheed if he wants alot of money. Expansion tams build on cheap rookie contracts.
Not always the case. I could see where it could happen. Not every expansion team builds a team in the same manner.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Terrible, I'm not sure how well you know Portland... When my family moved out of the city ('89), Portland had just been ranked the 3rd worst city in the country in terms of crime per capita. Unfortunately, we were in one of the worst neighborhoods...

The public school system has suffered tremendously the past 10-15 years with budget cuts. I imagine the Wallace children attend private school, however. Probably little difference between private schools here and elsewhere throughout the country (both my sisters and my best friend attended private schools).

I doubt either of those will be factors in Rasheed's decision.

Dan

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Originally posted by <b>dkap</b>!
Terrible, I'm not sure how well you know Portland... When my family moved out of the city ('89), Portland had just been ranked the 3rd worst city in the country in terms of crime per capita. Unfortunately, we were in one of the worst neighborhoods...

The public school system has suffered tremendously the past 10-15 years with budget cuts. I imagine the Wallace children attend private school, however. Probably little difference between private schools here and elsewhere throughout the country (both my sisters and my best friend attended private schools).

I doubt either of those will be factors in Rasheed's decision.

Dan
1989 was a long time ago. I grew up in Portland. I don't know what the current numbers say but I highly doubt Portland is one of the worst cities as far as crime per capita goes. And what exactly was included in "crime" to get those numbers. Numbers and statisitics can be manipulated to get almost anything you want out of them. There are hundred's of worse cities to live in than Portland across the country. I have lived in several and can account for that.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I grew up in Richmond, VA and I can tell ya that being the #2 murder capital in the country for many years only to be outdone by our cousin DC to the north, Portland is a dream in comparison!

I've been to Portland many, many times and I've never seen a more laid back place.

Now as for education, being in Miami now, the school system here is the worst in the country! No joke. If I'm not mistaking Portland schools got the highest scores as a whole on the Sat tests in the country. True or not?

Now I've heard alot of people talk about N and Northeast Portland as a problem area but trust me when I say this, those areas are tame compared to cities like NYC, Boston, Dallas, Miami, Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit or for that matter even LA.

Rain may be the only reason that Portland isn't the most popular place to live in the country that and the tech slump of late.

Whenever you feel blue about Portland go spend a weekend in south Baltimore, DC or even Richmond. You'll be begging for MLK BLVD.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Rasheed and his wife are east coast people. Their children's grandparents are back there as well. Sometimes, the call from "home" is too strong to ignore. While I hope he resigns, I would think the temptation to go home is very strong. If so, I also hope we work a sign & trade.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Signing Rasheed Wallace...what a great way to start off a new franchise.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
They were the official numbers, from the FBI, as I recall.

Sure, '89 was a long time ago -- I've remained more or less in the area ever since -- but how much have things really changed? Our old neighborhood cleaned up a fair amount, but I've seen little to indicate that the city has changed significantly over that time.

The state does have one of the most troubled economies in the country right now. Gotta figure that hurts Portland's chances of fixing anything that's broken.

Dan

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Damian Necronamous</b>!
Signing Rasheed Wallace...what a great way to start off a new franchise.:rolleyes:
One could do a lot worse. I'm not sure what is so wrong with that. Too many people such as yourself don't have a clue whatsoever what Sheed is like. All you do is read the babble from east coast writers who write BS and do nothing more than jump on the bandwagon. I would much rather sign a Sheed than a Kobe right now...:D

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Originally posted by Schilly!

RACE is a factor with Rah...

He's not exactly a fan of the "white man" if you haven't noticed. His attitude really pisses me off on stuff like that, its pretty darn obvious.

His dumb a*s would probably see it as a poilitical movement, honestly. haha.

So, in fact, its a valid statement. Although, he will not sign with Charlotte. Just doesnt sound right. Plus, its not a smart move for Rasheed in terms of winning a championship. We all know Charlotte isnt going to a darn thing for a long time.

·
Premium Member
6,937 Posts
Wallace eyes Knick deal

Wallace eyes Knick deal

ATLANTA - Rasheed Wallace has let the Trail Blazers know that if he is to be traded, he wants to end up with the Knicks, according to NBA sources.

Isiah Thomas has been trying to acquire Wallace for several weeks, but the Blazers have little interest in what the Knicks are offering. The Knicks may either have to include a third team or simply wait until the summer, when Wallace becomes a free agent, and possibly land him in a sign-and-trade.

Thomas, the Knicks' president, reiterated yesterday he wants to add more athletic players, preferably a big man. The one encouraging sign for Thomas is that Wallace wants to join the Knicks. Last month, Thomas was upset after Eddie Griffin signed with the Nets; Thomas said then he wanted to get players who want to come to New York.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/story/157849p-138603c.html

1 - 19 of 19 Posts