Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
13,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All throughout this forum, I'm reading how amazing and brilliant Travis Outlaw is. Unfortunately, I havent gotten an opportunity to see him play yet, being that I live in Australia

Which NBA (current/former) player would you compare Outlaw to, in his prime

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
David Thompson.....
Clyde Drexler......
Julius Erving.....
Dominique Wilkins.....
Kenny Walker......

A little bit of each of those guys, but with the jump shot of Xavier McDaniel.....

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Gerald Wallace. Probably a better jumpshot but less strength.

Ed O.

Reactions: LuckyAC

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Well, I don't know how good of a comparison this is, but I am hoping (and feel like he has the potential) to be a Shawn Marion type player. Both are athletic freaks and can jump out of the gym, both have a knack on the defensive end for getting steals, both have the ability to knock down the jumper (Outlaw needs to work on his range, but his stroke looks 100% more pure than Marion's), and both are suited for an up-tempo style of game. Either way, Outlaw is going to be a player who - in his prime - will fill up the box score.

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
Good comparrsion Stu. Marion is a lot stronger though which enables him to play the 4 and get more rebounds, but both players are very good at blocking shots and giving weak side support.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Hopefully Outlaw can fill out a lil bit in the future, he is only like 14 years old or something right?

^^^ BTW.... 6000 posts DMoney?! You are crazy. I don't know whether to clap or shed a tear... so I will do both.

:clap: :cry:

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
I hope those are tears out of happiness :D Its posts like these late at night over the years that have grew to 6000+..I gotta get my Balzer fix and its here.....I've notcied you've been posting here more frequently :banana:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
MAS RipCity said:
.I've notcied you've been posting here more frequently :banana:
I have been, and that is weird to me! I am more interested in the Blazers now that I was at the beginning of the season. I guess seeing all the young bucks out on the court, and what they have to offer has got me a bit more interested. I am ready for the "new Blazers" and I welcome a change of scenery. Also I just got done writing a 112 page research paper, and throughout that process I would just come here to post to get my mind off of it. And here I am, 1:40 AM, I have a History final at 10 and I am not even close to being ready for it. Lookin like an energy pill + pizza and an all-nighter for me. Good times :D

Anyway...sure, tears of happiness if you wish.

If I ever get 6000 posts I will not know what to do with myself. By then I will have the Marriage, the Mortgage, and the Minivan.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
'Nique for explosive athleticism, but he moves like a nimble Brad Miller. I'm afraid he's going to sprain an ankle or twist a knee every play.

Dan

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
Anyone else noticed that Outlaw is somewhat pigeon-toed?

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
Drexler was a bit pigeon-toed.....

Kersey wasn't pigeon-toed, he just had hands the size of a little girl....He mastered the two handed tomahawk dunk, because he could never palm the ball.....

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
white360 said:
zagsfan20 said:
David Thompson.....
Clyde Drexler......
Julius Erving.....
Dominique Wilkins.....
Kenny Walker......
QUOTE]
I can agree with kenny Walker, but the other ones are a little bit over T-Law's head.
The sky is the limit for Outlaw.....If he can get a consistent jumpshot and little bit more control over his game, I see no reason why he couldnt be like those players I mentioned....

BTW I was joking about the Xavier McDaniel jumpshot comparison.....

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
white360 said:
I can agree with kenny Walker, but the other ones are a little bit over T-Law's head.
Of course they are...RIGHT NOW. But, dude's only 19. He has a bunch of time to become every bit as good as anybody on that short list. Of course it's not a sure thing, but it IS a possibility. With most players, I'd say it's probably not going to happen, but with Travis, I like my chances. He's shown the willingness to work on his game as evidenced by how much he's improved since last year. It's, really, quite amazing. Last year, whenever I saw him on the floor, I thought he was going to trip and hurt himself. He just didn't look like an NBA player. Then, when you think that's he's just 19 and as big as he is, then it's pretty easy to understand that the kid just needs some time to get use to his developed/developing body. All I know is, that if he can improve as much between now and next season, as much as he did from the time that he was drafted up until now...then WOW, we might have a helluva player on our hands. And, you never quite know...he could blow all of those other guys out of the water when all is said and done. Is it likely? Not at all. But there's always a chance.

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
Now that I think about it John Stockton was pigeon toed as well......Maybe pigeon-toedness? is a good thing......

I wonder if scouts look at pigeoned-toes at all.....and if so what is their take....

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
zagsfan20 said:
Now that I think about it John Stockton was pigeon toed as well......Maybe pigeon-toedness? is a good thing......

I wonder if scouts look at pigeoned-toes at all.....and if so what is their take....
You betcha. You gotta think that they see it. Not that it weighs too heavily upon their evaluations, so long as the player being evaluated can play.

Personally, I could care if someone looked like a duck. If they can dominate (like Drex' or Pasty (a.k.a. Stockton)), I want them on my team...not that you were saying anything to the contrary.

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
What has impressed me about Outlaw the past couple games is his grittyness.....He hasnt been timid whatsoever....Whether it be his dunk over Yao, his block of Dikembe or his cap of Vin Baker after Bakers elbow to Travis' chest.....We all knew that he could dunk and jump high, but his aggresiveness has really impressed me...Grg's has fallen in love with the kid and he has improved vastly under Grg's tutelage...At just 19 their is plenty of room for improvement on the jumpshot.....Look at just last year people were questioning Lebrons jumpshot and he has made strides in that aspect of his game.....

Personally I think that Travis is one of the top 5 most athletic players in the game along with; Lebron, JR Smith, Josh Smith, Dwayne Wade and Steve Francis.....

He looks like he's hungry to learn the game and thats what seperates the players that become great to the players that never fulfill the expectations given to them.....

Just imagine him as a sophmore right now in the tournament for Mississippi State.....a team of Outlaw, Lawrence Roberts and Jackie Butler would have looked good right now....

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
zagsfan20 said:
What has impressed me about Outlaw the past couple games is his grittyness.....He hasnt been timid whatsoever....Whether it be his dunk over Yao, his block of Dikembe or his cap of Vin Baker after Bakers elbow to Travis' chest.....We all knew that he could dunk and jump high, but his aggresiveness has really impressed me...Grg's has fallen in love with the kid and he has improved vastly under Grg's tutelage...At just 19 their is plenty of room for improvement on the jumpshot.....Look at just last year people were questioning Lebrons jumpshot and he has made strides in that aspect of his game.....
Totally agree. Hopefully, Grg's will stay beyond this season. I'd LOVE to see what he could do with Travis over the course of another couple of years. I wish he would've given Dikembe the :naughty: . My God that's annoying as all hell when he does that. If I were Travis, I would've gotten up in his grill with a finger waggin' of my own.

zagsfan20 said:
Personally I think that Travis is one of the top 5 most athletic players in the game along with; Lebron, JR Smith, Josh Smith, Dwayne Wade and Steve Francis.....
You, me, and Shareef Abdur-Rahim. :biggrin:

"And get this: Abdur-Rahim said it's not just potential that Outlaw possesses. Outlaw's pure athletic skill -- primarily his running and jumping -- is so great that Abdur-Rahim said he places Outlaw as one of the top three or four athletes . . . in the NBA."

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/111045992918140.xml

zagsfan20 said:
He looks like he's hungry to learn the game and thats what seperates the players that become great to the players that never fulfill the expectations given to them.....
Typically, I don't like to go out on a limb, or paint myself in the corner, so-to-speak, when it comes to evaluating players. But this kid is just showing how good he could become. He's really starting to play with some emotion/fire, and I think we'll continue to see him evolve more and more in that respect.

zagsfan20 said:
Just imagine him as a sophmore right now in the tournament for Mississippi State.....a team of Outlaw, Lawrence Roberts and Jackie Butler would have looked good right now....
No doubt, they'd be a solid squad. They already are, and I'd have to think that Outlaw would be somewhat dominating at that level.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts