Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
*Floor General*
7,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good article on Tayshaun in the Detroit News

If you plan to do a back-story on Tayshaun Prince's life as a Piston -- and why wouldn't you, given his brilliant play and emergence as a serious contender for the NBA's most-improved-player award? -- you have to start with Scott Perry.

Perry, the Pistons' director of player personnel, saw all of this long before anyone did outside of Compton, Calif., and Prince's immediate family.

Many scouts and coaches saw a shy, awkward, frail-looking kid. Perry saw a rare diversity of skill, someone with abnormal length and quickness for his size, with an even more rare competitiveness and affinity for the game.

He saw all of this when Prince was a freshman -- in high school.

"I was a college coach at the time," said Perry, then an assistant at Michigan. "Tayshaun was big on the AAU circuit, playing with Baron Davis on a very good AAU team.

"The first thing I noticed was his length. He was very thin but very long. He had to be about 6-5 or 6-6 at the time. And with us having Jalen Rose, who was so effective for us at Michigan, a guy like Tay really catches your eye."

Perry has championed Prince ever since. He tried to recruit him to U-M, but Kentucky won out. Then Perry took the head-coaching job at Eastern Kentucky and saw Prince destroy his team.
http://www.detnews.com/2005/pistons/0503/24/F04-127315.htm

·
Premium Member
9,371 Posts
Tayshaun Prince has been the perfect safety net for the Pistons in my mind. Whenever things start to take a turn for the worse Prince usualyl finds away to improve or step up. I never thought he would be this good, I didn't even really like him in college but I am completely converted now. I want a Prince jersey.

·
Premium Member
9,371 Posts
With all the talk of Tayshaun Prince possibly getting the MIP he's not the only one, there have been cases made for a few other players, namely Dan Dickau. Dickau is having a career year now that the Hornets officially really suck. A few other players that have noticabely improved include Primoz Brezec, although he has somewhat de-improved since the beginning of the year, Gerald Wallace with his increase in minutes and Bobby Simmons out in LA.

Dan Dickau (NOH) +10.7 ppg +3.3 apg
Primoz Brezec (CHA) +10.9 ppg +6.2 rpg
Gerald Wallace (CHA) +9.1 ppg +3.5 rpg
Bobby Simmons (LAC) +9.0 ppg +1.2 rpg
Tayshaun Prince (DET) +4.0 ppg +0.5 rpg

Princes numbers fail in comparison to the others but his impact on the game has increased alot-fold.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
I think Prince is the MIP, but I can see why others think otherwise, he was pretty polish already. He had made alot of big plays people will always remember him for.

-Petey

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Petey said:
I think Prince is the MIP, but I can see why others think otherwise, he was pretty polish already. He had made alot of big plays people will always remember him for.

-Petey
Yeah, I think Tay is a victim of his own success that way. He stepped up huge in the playoffs and national games when the world was watching. So they figured he was always doing that. Now that he has become consistant I think alot of people that arent Piston fans dont realize what a huge step he has taken.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts