Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this feeling that management is sizing up Damon as the back-up combo-guard for next season.

He can shoot and he can half way, anyway, play PG.
Can we get another guard to fill this void that would be better for the same price?
Or is DA the likely cantidate? Or who?

gatorpops

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
I think the team already knows how Damon would be as a backup, or still on the team.

He probably won't accept being a backup, and he shouldn't be the starting SG for this team.

Hopefully, we're seeing the last 10+ games of Damon in a Blazers uniform (for his sake, and for the teams sake).

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hap said:
I think the team already knows how Damon would be as a backup, or still on the team.

He probably won't accept being a backup, and he shouldn't be the starting SG for this team.

Hopefully, we're seeing the last 10+ games of Damon in a Blazers uniform (for his sake, and for the teams sake).
I know that is the desire of most of us but can we reallisticly do better than him and with whom? GP maybe?
A new draft choice?

gatorpops

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
If he would swallow his pride and be a backup, I'd love to have him back. On the other hand, I know somehow we'd see way too much of he and Telfair on the court at the same time which is horrendous defensively.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Target said:
hmm..

Damon can dribble.
Yes and he can shoot!

By the way Mike Rice just said on the Pre-Game Show almost the same thing I am saying
i.e. "bringing back Damon next year" or something to that effect. I am not too sure that management is not considering it.
I hope we don't but........

gatorpops

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
gatorpops said:
I know that is the desire of most of us but can we reallisticly do better than him and with whom? GP maybe?
A new draft choice?

gatorpops

I wouldn't mind trying to find out what life would be like sans Damon Stoudamire on the team.

not a knock on him as a player or a person. Sometimes it's just best to part ways.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
gatorpops said:
Yes and he can shoot!
Sometimes.

But he's always short.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
I'd doubt Damon would settle being a second-string point guard off the bench. There's plenty of teams in the association that are still looking for a point guard with Damon's qualifications. He still has a few years left before being a secondary point guard.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
I hope he signs for the MLE... with someone else. If anything we can rid ourselves of his contract and just play DA as the backup combo guard seeing as how he's signed through next year anyway.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
we've proven over and over again that a two point guard lineup featuring Damon does not produce wins. I can't imagine we want to beat our head against that same wall for more seasons. and it's pretty plain that Damon does not see himself as a 20 mpg type of guy (which is what we need from a backup point).

yeah, he had one of his best games of the year. but did anybody else notice that our biggest lead happened when Damon sat and we had some actual size at shooting guard?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Hap said:
I wouldn't mind trying to find out what life would be like sans Damon Stoudamire on the team.
Not that I'm a huge Damon "hater," but this is something I've pondered many times over the last few seasons or so. He's a tricky guy, really. My gut tells me the Blazers will be better without Damon as a captain or one of the Blazers "leaders." I have very little to back that opinion up. He just doesn't seem like a caption or a "leader" to me. It's a locker room thing.

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
For what it's worth, Portland doesn't have to use any of its MLE to re-sign Damon. They have his Bird rights, and renouncing him would make no sense since it wouldn't put them under the cap.

That being said, let the man walk away, for goodness sake. Portland was able to make it to the WC Finals a couple of times with him as a support player. But since he became the "leader" of the team, all he has done is lead the team into the lottery two years in a row.

Let Him Walk! Let Him Walk! Let Him Walk!

(Hoping the entire Astrodome joins with my chant)

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Storyteller said:
For what it's worth, Portland doesn't have to use any of its MLE to re-sign Damon. They have his Bird rights, and renouncing him would make no sense since it wouldn't put them under the cap.

That being said, let the man walk away, for goodness sake. Portland was able to make it to the WC Finals a couple of times with him as a support player. But since he became the "leader" of the team, all he has done is lead the team into the lottery two years in a row.

Let Him Walk! Let Him Walk! Let Him Walk!

(Hoping the entire Astrodome joins with my chant)
Well, if the entire Astrodome only held two people... we'd have a capacity crowd on hand, brother! 'cause I'm right there with ya! :cheers:

:curse:

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
I'll be in the standing room only area right behind you two.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
I would take any re-signing of Damon to be a message from management that they are not committed to improving the team. :curse:

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I mean...the guy has been a Blazer for so long...I really could see it happening.

However, with that said, I don't want it to be the case for all of the reasons previously mentioned in this thread and hashed out in others.

Time to move on. He's not a part of the Blazer's future or an aspect in improving the team to where we want it to go.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts