Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are the projected minutes per game for all of the players drafted in June. Non-drafted players (e.g., JR Bremer, Luke Recker, Reggie Evans) are not listed. The minutes are based on my projections from my "All 29 rosters..." post. Just thought this might be helpful for those of you preparing for fantasy league drafts. Seems like an interesting topic to generate some debate, as well! Let me know what you think!

First round

1 Yao Ming (Rockets)--32 mpg
2 Jay Williams (Bulls)--32 mpg
3 Mike Dunleavy (Warriors)--20 mpg
4 Drew Gooden (Grizzlies)--28 mpg
5 Nikoloz Tskitishvili (Nuggets)--20 mpg
6 Dajuan Wagner (Cavs)--36 mpg
7 Nene Hilario (Nuggets)--20 mpg
8 Chris Wilcox (Clippers)--12 mpg
9 Amare Stoudemire (Suns)--12 mpg
10 Caron Butler (Heat)--36 mpg
11 Jared Jeffries (Wizards)--12 mpg
12 Melvin Ely (Clippers)--12 mpg
13 Marcus Haislip (Bucks)--12 mpg
14 Fred Jones (Pacers)--end of the bench (no PT)
15 Bostjan Nachbar (Rockets)--16 mpg
16 Jiri Welsch (Warriors)--12 mpg
17 Juan Dixon (Wizards)--stashed on the IR (injured reserve list)
18 Curtis Borchardt (Jazz)--stashed on the IR
19 Ryan Humphrey (Magic)--8 mpg
20 Kareem Rush (Lakers)--12 mpg
21 Qyntel Woods (Blazers)--end of the bench
22 Casey Jacobsen (Suns)--16 mpg
23 Tayshaun Prince (Pistons)--end of the bench
24 Nenad Kristic (Nets)--still overseas
25 Frank Williams (Knicks)--8 mpg
26 John Salmons (76ers)--end of the bench
27 Chris Jefferies (Raptors)--end of the bench
28 Dan Dickau (Hawks)--16 mpg

Second round

29 Steve Logan (Warriors)--end of the bench
30 Roger Mason (Bulls)--stashed on the IR
31 Robert Archibald (Grizzlies)--stashed on the IR
32 Vincent Yarbrough (Nuggets)--end of the bench
33 Dan Gadzuric (Bucks)--12 mpg
34 Carlos Boozer (Cavs)--20 mpg
35 Milos Vujanic (Knicks)--still overseas
36 David Anderson (Hawks)--still overseas
37 Tito Maddox (Rockets)--stashed on the IR
38 Rod Grizzard (Wizards)--failed to make team
39 Juan Navarro (Wizards)--still overseas
40 Mario Kasun (Magic)--still overseas
41 Ronald Murray (Bucks)--12 mpg
42 Jason Jennings (Blazers)--stashed on the IR
43 Lonny Baxter (Bulls)--stashed on the IR
44 Sam Clancy (76ers)--stashed on the IR
45 Matt Barnes (Cavs)--stashed on the IR
46 Jamal Sampson (Bucks)--stashed on the IR
47 Chris Owens (Grizzlies)--stashed on the IR
48 Peter Fehse (Sonics)--still overseas
49 Darius Songalia (Celtics)--playing overseas
50 Federico Kammerichs (Blazers)--still overseas
51 Marcus Taylor (Timberwolves)--stashed on the IR
52 Rasual Butler (Heat)--12 mpg
53 Tamar Slay (Nets)--stashed on the IR
54 Mladen Sekularac (Mavs)--still overseas
55 Luis Scola (Spurs)--still overseas
56 Randy Holcomb (76ers)--will probably get cut
57 Corsley Edwards (Kings)--end of the bench

Let's hear some feedback!

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
quentel woods looked good for portland, he might manage to get sooomme time, but not much...

·
Registered
624 Posts
Overall, the list looks about right. Here's a few things to consider though:

1) Apparently, Jay Williams hasn't been able to beat out Jamal Crawford for the starting PT job (this according to ESPN.com). I watched parts of the Bulls-Celts preseason game (DirecTV Sports Pack) and Crawford started the game and looked MUCH better than Williams, IMO.

2) Nene Hilario has apparently been tearing it up in camp and was the Nugs' best player in their 1st preseason game. With Camby out and a career mediocrity in Mark Blount currently penciled in to start at center, Hilario could pull a Tony Parker and get into the starting lineup by the end of the first week.

3) I can't see Kareem Rush getting any PT at all for the Lakers. 1) Phil Jackson doesn't like to play players who are unfamiliar with the triangle. 2) Phil Jackson doesn't like to play rookies. 3) Phil Jackson doesn't like to play players who are defensive liabilities like Rush. 4) Rush just isn't that good. PJ has already talked about possibly playing Devean George at SG if Kobe is pressed into PG duties, so Rush (who doesn't have the size for SF or the quickness and ballhandling for PG) is behind Bryant, George, and Shaw in the SG rotation. Unless Derek Fisher or Kobe gets injured, Rush will be bolted to the pine.

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
Originally posted by <b>RangerC</b>!

2) Nene Hilario has apparently been tearing it up in camp and was the Nugs' best player in their 1st preseason game. With Camby out and a career mediocrity in Mark Blount currently penciled in to start at center, Hilario could pull a Tony Parker and get into the starting lineup by the end of the first week.
I'm following Nene Hilario, as you can see in my avatar.
I don't see Nene starting this soon in the season. All the declarations that coach Bzdelik is saying refers to how the rookies have to learn and develop. Maybe by the mid-season. And don't forget about his foul trouble. That will decrease his minutes a lot.
Maybe I'm getting to hard on my boy, but he can't speak english yet! How will him start?

Originally posted by <b>RangerC</b>!

3) I can't see Kareem Rush getting any PT at all for the Lakers. 1) Phil Jackson doesn't like to play players who are unfamiliar with the triangle. 2) Phil Jackson doesn't like to play rookies. 3) Phil Jackson doesn't like to play players who are defensive liabilities like Rush. 4) Rush just isn't that good. PJ has already talked about possibly playing Devean George at SG if Kobe is pressed into PG duties, so Rush (who doesn't have the size for SF or the quickness and ballhandling for PG) is behind Bryant, George, and Shaw in the SG rotation. Unless Derek Fisher or Kobe gets injured, Rush will be bolted to the pine.
I don't agree with Rush doesn't having any PT. He will play. Yeah, you are right about having to know the triangle system.

The only reason I think he will play is his shooting ability. When Shaq or Kobe get doble D, someone will get free. Rush can throw down planty of 3 pointers.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Reasonable analysis.

consider these possibilities:

Ely should play way more,but will he?
Salmons should get 8-12mpg. The 76ers are always injured.
R. Butler was a great spot and will play alot as a round two pick.
Rush will not play 12 minutes
Jacobson may earn time
some of the draftnet all-stars could get time with Cleveland

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I think

you've got Dajaun Wagner averaging too many minutes. I follow the Cavs closest, so he is the only one I will comment on (him and Carlos Boozer and Matt Barnes)

I don't think Wagner will average more than 30-32 per game... mostly because early in the season he will be sharing/rotating in the line-up with Ricky Davis at the SG. As the season progresses, Miles, Davis and Dajaun will all be in together all the time, which will raise Wagner's average. Also, the first full season for a rookie is a very difficult adjustment... all the travel, the higher competition, the longer season, the demands from outside the game on your time.... expecting more than 30 minutes a game for ANY rookie is alot. Possibly the only rookies that will play alot all season are Jason WIlliams and Ming.

Boozer will average less than 20, as he will be splitting time with Mihm BEHIND Tyrone Hill. If Hill is healthy, he is the best PF on the team, and will play 30+ per game... leaving 18 minutes at the PF for Boozer and Mihm (Mihm will split minutes as the back-up PF, and as the #3 center behind Z then Diop)

Barnes may not end up on IR, only because the team needs outside shooters. He might only be 11 or 12 man, but I think he will be on the roster. Maybe average 4 minutes per game.

That's my take. Rookies don't average as many minutes as you might think.:starwars:

·
A!
9,434 Posts
I can tell you right now that Jay Williams won't average 32 minutes per game. He isn't solid enough on defense, which is what Bill Cartwright is trying to emphasize. I wouldn't mark him down for any more than 24-28 minutes per game.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
[/QOUTE]
3) I can't see Kareem Rush getting any PT at all for the Lakers. 1) Phil Jackson doesn't like to play players who are unfamiliar with the triangle. 2) Phil Jackson doesn't like to play rookies. 3) Phil Jackson doesn't like to play players who are defensive liabilities like Rush. 4) Rush just isn't that good. PJ has already talked about possibly playing Devean George at SG if Kobe is pressed into PG duties, so Rush (who doesn't have the size for SF or the quickness and ballhandling for PG) is behind Bryant, George, and Shaw in the SG rotation. Unless Derek Fisher or Kobe gets injured, Rush will be bolted to the pine. [/QUOTE]

I disagree-he could easily get the 12 mpg. The reason Phil doesn't play rookies is because he has never had any good ones because his teams are always really good. Rush is different; at one point he was projected to go #14. As for defense liablities; Fisher has those too and he started over Hunter who was a better defender.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: I think

Originally posted by <b>Mongolmike</b>!
...Boozer will average less than 20, as he will be splitting time with Mihm BEHIND Tyrone Hill. If Hill is healthy, he is the best PF on the team, and will play 30+ per game... leaving 18 minutes at the PF for Boozer and Mihm (Mihm will split minutes as the back-up PF, and as the #3 center behind Z then Diop)...
I am actually assuming here that Tyrone Hill ends up on the IR pretty quickly, as he is old and injury-prone. Besides, the Cavs AIN'T gonna re-sign this guy next summer, so there's no reason for him to take minutes away from either Mihm or Boozer. Here's how I see the minutes being distributed on this team:

PG Wagner 24 mpg, Coles 12 mpg, Palacio 12 mpg
SG Davis 36 mpg, Wagner 12 mpg
SF Miles 36 mpg, Jones 12 mpg
PF Boozer 20 mpg, Mihm 20 mpg, Jones 8 mpg
C Ilgauskus 28 mpg, Diop 20 mpg

No PT (either end of the benchers or stashed on the IR): Tyrone Hill, Michael Stewart, Nick Anderson, Matt Barnes, Smush Parker/Vonteego Cummings (whichever one makes the final cut)

Of course, the Cavs seem DETERMINED to start somebody besides Wagner at PG. I don't think that Wagner is a PG either, but damn, how you can justify giving more than a combined 24 mpg to BIMBO COLES and MILT PALACIO? Jesus!

ALSO, ABOUT JAMAL CRAWFORD VS. JAY WILLIAMS:

God, how the hell can you draft the super-polished Williams with the #2 overall pick and not start the guy (and give him starter's minutes)? Right now, I have Williams at 32 mpg and Crawford at 24 mpg. I suppose we could give EACH of them an EQUAL amount of PT (28 mpg each), though. I'm torn.

TAMAR SLAY:

I am assuming that Chris Childs isn't seriously hurt (i.e., that HE isn't stashed on the IR), which means that the final 2 roster spots will go to 2 of these 3 players: Brandon Armstrong, Brian Scalabrine, and Tamar Slay. Since Armstrong and Scalabrine are second-year guys, and Slay is a rookie, my guess is that Slay begins the season on the IR. I could be wrong. None of these three guys gets a lick of PT regardless.

KAREEM RUSH:

Remember, this is the triangle offense we're talking about here. He'll get some minutes because he's an excellent perimeter shooter. He doesn't have to be a "shooting guard" or a "point guard" in the traditional sense. I mean, what position did Jim Paxson play? Or Steve Kerr? You know what I'm saying?

Thanks for yr feedback, fellas! Keep it coming! Who else?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts