Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JR Rider arrested (there are times when it seems that it requires a subscription)

ALAMEDA - A former professional basketball player wanted on a $100,000
warrant ran from police when they showed up at a bank after getting an
anonymous tip that he was inside.

Isaiah "J.R." Rider, 34, who once played with the Minnesota Timberwolves
during a professional career that stretched from 1993 to 2002, was taken
into custody Saturday afternoon in the 2100 block of Otis Drive.

The 6 foot, 5 inch tall Rider was the fifth pick in the 1993 NBA draft and
also played with the Portland Trail Blazers and Denver Nuggets.
not sure why he was a wanted man, but I do find it funny that a California paper forgot to mention that he played for the Lakers, but didn't forget to ad that he played for the Nuggets (he played 10 games for the Nuggets, 67 for the Lakers)..

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
I heard about that on the way into work today. The guy that started the team on it's downward plunge. A moment of silence for JR please! :whatever:

·
Registered
9,192 Posts
Proof wasn't really needed to substantiate the claim that Rider wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Hap: thanks for the scoop on Rider. Can you please post some proof that the sky is blue, that the earth isn't flat, and/or that the Beach Boys were a good rock group?

Ed O.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Nice find, Hap. Please write to the editor of that blurb and ask why they conveniently forgot to mention that he played more games with the Lakers and the Nuggets.

PBF

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Isiah Rider is misunderstood.

Reactions: Brian.

·
Registered
166 Posts
rx2web said:
When asked why he ran JR Rider replied, "Both cops ran hard."
Ha! That one deserves a rim shot... ba dum, ching :laugh:

·
Registered
230 Posts
I guess the multiple marijuana related incidents, the drag racing incident, and carrying multiple illegal "chipped" phones, assault charges, and general bad attitude and lack of work ethic which eventually led to a premature end of his career wasn't enough proof for you, huh?

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Hap said:
not sure why he was a wanted man...
The article says "The misdemeanor warrant accuses Rider of battery. Other details about the case were not available..."

...but I do find it funny that a California paper forgot to mention that he played for the Lakers, but didn't forget to ad that he played for the Nuggets (he played 10 games for the Nuggets, 67 for the Lakers)..
That is pretty weird. :cool:

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
He really is a good guy, one of my favorites. I met him a few times and was always nice, more than I can say for Damon, Bonzi, and Jermaine.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I don't know if sad is the right word when talking about a guy who made millions....but JR could have OWNED Portland if he had half a brain.....he was very charming and articulate when he wanted to be....had a great smile and was a damn exciting player. I'll always remember him repeatedly posting up defenseless Jeff Hornacek in the 1999 play-offs. He's just a guy you wanted to pound some sense into if you only could.....

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
Sambonius said:
He really is a good guy, one of my favorites. I met him a few times and was always nice, more than I can say for Damon, Bonzi, and Jermaine.

I don't know him as a person, but personally, I liked his game. That whole showing his heart thing was pretty cool.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
NBAGOD said:
I don't know if sad is the right word when talking about a guy who made millions....but JR could have OWNED Portland if he had half a brain.....he was very charming and articulate when he wanted to be....had a great smile and was a damn exciting player. I'll always remember him repeatedly posting up defenseless Jeff Hornacek in the 1999 play-offs. He's just a guy you wanted to pound some sense into if you only could.....
it's so true, but like a fair # of athletes, they just don't get it.

He was far too interested in being "true to his roots" (my own quote, not his) to realize that he could've been something special.

not Jordan special, or Drexler special, but All Star Game special.

But he's missing some obvious structure in his life, be it from his childhood, drugs, whatever. The guy just doesn't get it (nor do I believe he wants to). Sad really.

funny at the same time, because if someone offered me millions I'd be giddy as a school girl.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
They say "time heals all wounds" and I'd like to think in the year 2025 I'll fondly recall the 1999 playoffs he dominated and that team I was excited for.......instead of the putz he was off the court the rest of the time.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
RedHot&Rolling said:
They say "time heals all wounds" and I'd like to think in the year 2025 I'll fondly recall the 1999 playoffs he dominated and that team I was excited for.......instead of the putz he was off the court the rest of the time.
I have to say, I loved that team. You had the UNLV triumvirate - Greg Anthony, Stacey Augmon, and JR Rider all one team. Throw in Brian Grant - going toe-to-toe with Karl "the Nailman" Malone, Rasheed Wallace (off the bench, no less!), Sabas in his NBA prime, man, what a team to watch. JR made an absolute living out of posting up Hornacek in that Jazz series... Had it not been for Sean Elliott's Memorial Day Miracle in Game 2 of the Spurs' series, the Blazers could've been NBA Finals' bound.

As for JR, I don't know if he'll ever get it. He had his shot and blew it, again, and again, in a major way.

·
Registered
910 Posts
you need proof? how bout the fact he made millions of dollars, and yet smoke bud out of a pop can. He could at least spring for a 1 hitter, or at least a glass piece. amateur is what he is. now he gets a 100,000 dollar warrant. I don't know why it is so hard for people not to get arrested. and some criminals cry about the 3 strike law, when it should be a 2 strike law. how many mistakes do you need until you learn your lesson?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts