Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The top of the BE7 decide to get rid of the bottom, but in order to have an autobid they need to take at least 7 teams from the same conference. This will allow the new conference to have an autobid, since 7 of its members came from the same conference. They team up with the 7 best teams from the A10. They also add Creighton to get to 12 teams and 2 divisions.

East:
VCU
Duquesne*
Richmond
Georgetown
Villanova
St. Johns

West:
Butler
Xavier
Dayton
St. Louis
Maquette
Creighton

*Villanova doesn't want St. Joes in the conference so Duquesne is picked for market reasons.

What happens to the rest of the A10? They invite GMU, Davidson and SIena.

A10:

Siena
GMU
Davidson
GW
URI
St. Bona
St. Joes
UMass
LaSalle
Fordham

Edit: I don't care about what happens to Providence, Seton Hall, or DePaul.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I understand wanting to leave Providence out of any conference, but they do need to find a home in one of these two leagues.. unless they accept an invite to the MAAC since they are actually that size school.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm officially on-board with the delusional league. I wasn't that thrilled with Duquesne until I realized there was no DePaul.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
East: Prov, St. John's, Hall, Nova, G-Town, Richmond, VCU, Duquesne
West: Creighton, SLU, Marquette, DePaul, Butler, Xavier, Dayton, St. Bona

Benefits:
Cripple the A-10 by taking their best teams AND leaving them with no uncovered markets.
Easy non-revenue sport scheduling by division.

Conference realignment is a two-way street: What St. Bona lacks NOW is a bidproduct of not being in the high-profile Big East. Syracuse is covered by the Rochester and Buffalo papers and TV BECAUSE they played in the high-profile Big East. Including Bona would up their exposure, which ups the overall exposure of the league.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Duquesne will end up wherever Xavier is.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
That league in the first post wouldn't have an auto-bid.

VCU and Butler don't count in the 7, since there's also a requirement of having played in the same league for a certain amount of time (5 years I believe). Either it's all 7 of the BE7 or 7 teams from the A10 not counting VCU and Butler.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That league in the first post wouldn't have an auto-bid.

VCU and Butler don't count in the 7, since there's also a requirement of having played in the same league for a certain amount of time (5 years I believe). Either it's all 7 of the BE7 or 7 teams from the A10 not counting VCU and Butler.
Good point.

·
Banned
1,112 Posts
East: Prov, St. John's, Hall, Nova, G-Town, Richmond, VCU, Duquesne
West: Creighton, SLU, Marquette, DePaul, Butler, Xavier, Dayton, St. Bona

Benefits:
Cripple the A-10 by taking their best teams AND leaving them with no uncovered markets.
Easy non-revenue sport scheduling by division.

Conference realignment is a two-way street: What St. Bona lacks NOW is a bidproduct of not being in the high-profile Big East. Syracuse is covered by the Rochester and Buffalo papers and TV BECAUSE they played in the high-profile Big East. Including Bona would up their exposure, which ups the overall exposure of the league.
So exactly what was proposed except you're suggesting adding St Bonaventure, DePaul, Seton Hall and Providence??? WHY? To split the money 4-more ways to 4 bottom feeders?

The first proposal is ideal.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
So exactly what was proposed except you're suggesting adding St Bonaventure, DePaul, Seton Hall and Providence??? WHY? To split the money 4-more ways to 4 bottom feeders?

The first proposal is ideal.
This is the delusional thread. That's why I never mentioned Bona getting an invite to the BE7 in the other threads (and didn't read your "proposal"). Because I'm not delusional.

We might as well argue over whether it's better to try and grow rice or corn on Mars.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
East: Saint Louis, Butler, Depaul, Creighton, Gonzaga, BYU
West: Xavier, Dayton, Richmond, VCU, St. Joes, La Salle

A-10:
Villanova
Georgetown
Seton Hall
Marquette
St. John's
Providence
Fordham
St. Bonaventure
Rhode Island
GW
Charlotte (Pay extra to get them back)
Duke (This one is a tiny stretch but doable)

·
Registered
880 Posts
Xavier. Just Xavier. Think of it. They won't have to split the money, they will get all the TV games because everyone watches TV in the hopes that Xavier will be on.

Note: all Xavier games will be played in Dayton's arena. Let's be real.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
What's wrong with the Atlantic 1021 conference? (sounds like a tax form?) - 3 div of 7, play a 26 game conf sked, 2 X 6 div plus 14 of the others. Petition the ncaa to start the season Oct 30, hey, a 35 game schedule. They only 2 weeks of practice, they all play yr round anyway. Then go get Comcast/joint venture to start a new network. Comcast wants to challenge ESPN, right? We could give 'em a game a night plus. Now, who do we challenge in the pre-season?
Lets start taking bids for the conference tournament, I'm torn about if all teams make the tourney - any ideas?

Ghost of Atlantic 1021 Tonight

·
Registered
269 Posts
Xavier. Just Xavier. Think of it. They won't have to split the money, they will get all the TV games because everyone watches TV in the hopes that Xavier will be on.

Note: all Xavier games will be played in Dayton's arena. Let's be real.
All X all the time! This is brilliant! And all the UD fans having to come watch, too.

·
Registered
267 Posts

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Let's go with the English Premier League soccer format where the bottom teams from the major league are subbed into the minor league for the top teams from the minor league to keep some competitive balance. So we start with this:

Group A: X, Butler, Georgetown, Marquette, Villanova, VCU, St. Louis, Richmond, St. Johns, St. Joseph's
Group B: Duquesne, LaSalle, Fordham, URI, DePaul, Seton Hall, Providence, GW, Dayton, St. Bonaventure

I've axed UMass as we assume they have been invited to pursue FBS football in the Big East because really, who hasn't been invited to the Big East yet? Each group plays a round-robin 18 game H/H OOC schedule. The group tournaments play a typical 4 round, 10 team format with 7-10 playing into the quarters.

At the end of the season, the bottom 2 from group A are sent packing in favor of the top 2 from group B.

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Let's go with the English Premier League soccer format where the bottom teams from the major league are subbed into the minor league for the top teams from the minor league to keep some competitive balance. So we start with this:

Group A: X, Butler, Georgetown, Marquette, Villanova, VCU, St. Louis, Richmond, St. Johns, St. Joseph's
Group B: Duquesne, LaSalle, Fordham, URI, DePaul, Seton Hall, Providence, GW, Dayton, St. Bonaventure

I've axed UMass as we assume they have been invited to pursue FBS football in the Big East because really, who hasn't been invited to the Big East yet? Each group plays a round-robin 18 game H/H OOC schedule. The group tournaments play a typical 4 round, 10 team format with 7-10 playing into the quarters.

At the end of the season, the bottom 2 from group A are sent packing in favor of the top 2 from group B.
I love this idea. Only problem is the yearly promotions/demotions. Not enough time when everyone gets an entirely new roster every four years. Look at 2011 and 2012 Richmond. Great senior class gets them promoted, then a total rebuild gets them demoted. They could never gain traction, and you could be demoting a building team that could lose recruiting momentum and take years to recover.

I would promote/demote every three years. One free year, then two evaluation years. Gives the promoted teams time to prove they can belong, and the second tier teams time to rebuild in a "safer" environment. A lot easier to sell "you will help us build toward something special and play your prime years in a great division" than "come help us get promoted, and hopefully we won't be sent right back down".

This is awesome, though. Damn, I wish it were feasible in reality. The second group would still be good enough to be a respectable one bid league. In fact, since this is fantasy, I'd even give the Auto-bid to that group. Wouldn't even have a tourney in the first group. Wouldn't be necessary.

·
Registered
108 Posts
OK! Let's really get delusional.

Assume the Big East 7 rape the A 10 by taking ; St. joes, Butler, Xavier, St. Louis, VCU, URI, UMASS. Assume Temple goes to the Big East Football schools.

The remaining A 10 forms a Gotham Conference with:

Boston U
Drexel
Duquense
La Salle
Dayton ( let's hope they don't commit hari kari after rejection from the Big East)
Detroit
George Washington
St Bonaventure
Charlotte
Hofstra or Siena

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
OK! Let's really get delusional.

Assume the Big East 7 rape the A 10 by taking ; St. joes, Butler, Xavier, St. Louis, VCU, URI, UMASS. Assume Temple goes to the Big East Football schools.

The remaining A 10 forms a Gotham Conference with:

Boston U
Drexel
Duquense
La Salle
Dayton ( let's hope they don't commit hari kari after rejection from the Big East)
Detroit
George Washington
St Bonaventure
Charlotte
Hofstra or Siena
Hara kiri sounds like an understated response to the BE7 taking URI over Dayton.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Conference realignment has taught me that no one knows how to spell Duquesne or just doesn't give a shit enough to spell it right.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts