Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being on the east coast I have seen very little of him so I want thoughts from those who know a lot about him. Josh Childress. Everything I have read about him I really like. He seems like a kid who could step in and contribute right away. Coming from a school like Stanford will help his transition. Not to mention how intelligent a player he is. Anyways any insight would be cool.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
He reminds me of Jared Jeffries all the way down to both of them looking like mushmouth.

I have the same questions about Josh that I had about Jared, that being his physicality when it comes to the NBA game.

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Originally posted by <b>basghetti80</b>!
Being on the east coast I have seen very little of him so I want thoughts from those who know a lot about him. Josh Childress. Everything I have read about him I really like. He seems like a kid who could step in and contribute right away. Coming from a school like Stanford will help his transition. Not to mention how intelligent a player he is. Anyways any insight would be cool.
Not too many rookies step in right away and contribute....

This isn't directed at you, but I think people should look at rookies as guys who come in with potential to contribute, and you bring them along slowly until they develop into guys who can win ball games for you.

Too many people want rookies to do that, and unless you're Lebron, Melo, Yao, Amare, and maybe a few others, you won't be winning games for your team right away.

As far as Childress goes, I'm not excited about him at all, and the fact he plays at Stanford doesn't mean much, last guy who came out of there, was Casey Jacobsen?

Yawn.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I like him, maybe not where we will draft, but I would like to see more. From just three games, two last year I see an athletic swing man, and a versatile player who rebounds very well for his size, about 6-7 and 200, which is small for SF but pretty good for a SG. He appears to be more of an agile slasher who weaves thru traffic. His outside shot may not be good enough for the NBA three. I think for his size and by NBA standards I would project pretty good rebounder/defender but so so on offense.

He is probably as good or better than Iguodala as a scorer, both are great rebounders for their size, both are athletes, Childress a good one, Iguodala a great one, but overall for similar size players I think Iguodala is better defensively and much better passer/ballhandler. Based on what I have seen and heard I would like Childress by late lottery to mid first round if we could acquire a pick in that range (Fizer?).

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Originally posted by <b>basghetti80</b>!
well i live near stanford so maybe i can chip in. he has mad hoops, he's around 6'8" (though his fro makes him look taller) and can play the 2/3 in the pros. but he really should hit the weight room. that's my advice. it's not that he's not strong, it's just that he could really bulk up that frame of his. his mad hops really help his rebounding although that also has to do with his will to rebound and knack for the ball. he's definitely a slasher, great finisher, pretty good jumper. he could possibly extend his range to the 3 pt line in the pros but i doubt he'll ever become a consistent 3 pt threat.

·
Registered
920 Posts
All I know is Josh Childress has one of the coolest afros I have ever seen.

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BobbyDigital32</b>!
All I know is Josh Childress has one of the coolest afros I have ever seen.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I think we'll be picking top 4 at worst, so I don't think Childress will be in our planning.

If he develops his jumper and gets more range so he could play SG, at 6'8" and with his long arms, that could be where he is most effective.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts