Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the FA side the top target, and probably unattainable is Ben Wallace.

On the Draft side, of course, my guy Shelden Williams, but some people have size questions.

On the trade front, of course, because he is a FA soon, and Bogut will command an extension, Magloire becomes a strong possibility.

I don't think Pryz and Nazr meet all of the requirements as the above 3 meet them. If you have someone in mind, provide your points on why they fit the BC criteria and why they might be available (if needed, FAs are available).

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
5 is too high for him and that looks like where we going to stay.. or move higher.. only possibility is to trade down for him and to get something... talking about the landlord... i see what BUTR is always ranting about... im hoping he can be at least an okafor type of player for us... if we indeed go that route...

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
That's the big problem BUTR, there just aren't many guys out there with the qualities BC talked about. We missed out on Darko.

There are also several other teams out there looking for the exact same thing. PHX wanted that and the best they could come up with is Kurt Thomas. 34 years old, at best a block per game guy, and almost 4 fouls per 28min in his career. Undersized AD type.

If Raps want a KT type player maybe we should look at Chris Wilcox. Putting up 15 and 8 with Seattle so far. Strong body. Not a shot blocker.

Reggie Evans is another guy but he doesn't block ANY shots. Hoffa numbers.

Nene's numbers are not impressive and he is a mystery after the surgery.

Hoff could easily give us 8pts and 7reb in 25-30mpg. His positional D is pretty solid but no shotblocking. Charlie and Bosh should be doing the weak side shotblocking anyway. If we saw a guy like Hoff sitting on another team's bench and not getting a chance he would definitely be a target for us.

Nobody in the draft can be counted on to produce at the NBA level. That's a big step for a C. We need to make a move.

Magloire is the big target. Pryz and Nazr the next best options. Then you get into the Nene, Wilcox, Evans area. Then you go really raw with Mbenga, Pavel, draft picks. Guys like Harrison, PJ Ramos, Ha Seung Jin could also be available.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The list looks pretty limited. I wonder if there is someone out there BC has thought about that we have not. Kurt Thomas does not block shots, but he is tough, smart and a good rebounder if undersized.

I guess my point is, I think we need and impact maker in this way, not just a guy.

Re: <--, I would certainly trade down to try and get some added value. Unless someone like Danny Ainge has singled him out, he now looks to go in the 9-15 range.

While Wilcox is playing better now, I don't know that BC would look at him as the Vet he likes. I could be wrong, but he still comes across as an underachiever who is trying to earn an extension and will go back to being lazy once he gets it.

Nene is certainly not a guy IMO that fits the description.

Man, I can't freaking wait for draft night.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Offer the Bucks a future pick. Doesn't have to be this years.

Slokar has pretty good value too. He may not have any PT on our club for the next few years anyway. He impressed a lot of people last summer league. Babs got a lot of calls about him.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
lucky777s said:

Slokar has pretty good value too. He may not have any PT on our club for the next few years anyway. He impressed a lot of people last summer league. Babs got a lot of calls about him.
If the Bucks lose Mags, that will leave them with a big hole that I would think they would want to fill sooner than later. With no capspace and no pick this year, their only real option would be a high pick. As much as I like Slokar, I doubt that he would be a difference maker in any deal of this stature.

I wouldn't mind if we could swing something to deal our pick with players and get their 2008 1st back. I think a lot of these high school seniors will stay at least 2 years, making the 2008 draft huge.

·
Registered
379 Posts
If BC drafts Shelden Williams with the 4th-6th overall pick, that'll be a real test to see how much people people believe in him, reaching for a center again. I'm not denying that Shelden Williams is a far better player and fit on paper than Hoffa was, or that he does fit the need, assuming his wingspan is sufficient to compensate for his height at the NBA level, but optically, it might be a tough sell, considering who would still be left on the board (Roy, Gay, Splitter, Brewer, to name a few). Then again, its not as big a reach as either Hoffa or Charlie V were.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lucky777s said:

I'm not sure we can do that with the 2007 and 2008 already possibly property of CHA. We KNOW this year's is ours.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
GuelphRaptorsFan said:
If BC drafts Shelden Williams with the 4th-6th overall pick, that'll be a real test to see how much people people believe in him, reaching for a center again. I'm not denying that Shelden Williams is a far better player and fit on paper than Hoffa was, or that he does fit the need, assuming his wingspan is sufficient to compensate for his height at the NBA level, but optically, it might be a tough sell, considering who would still be left on the board (Roy, Gay, Splitter, Brewer, to name a few). Then again, its not as big a reach as either Hoffa or Charlie V were.
I would be shocked if BC takes SW with our pick. The only way it happens is if we get bumped back 2-3 spots, which is almost impossible by the odds. Or, he trades down into the 9-14 range. The good thing is that BC won't have to worry about optics. Unlike Rob, when BC justifies his pick, people will listen and believe, regardless of who it is.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
blowuptheraptors said:
On the FA side the top target, and probably unattainable is Ben Wallace.
How unobtainable? If we offer Ben $100 mil over 5 years, would Detroit really match? Would Ben take less to stay with a championship contender? He's been underpaid for years. I'm not sure how unrealistic it is to get Ben. We'd have to overpay, but I'd much rather overpay him than Pryz.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
blowuptheraptors said:
I'm not sure we can do that with the 2007 and 2008 already possibly property of CHA. We KNOW this year's is ours.
We CAN do it but it has to be conditional on when Charlotte takes our pick. We can offer our first available pick and top 3 protect it til 2009 or whenever. Babcock mentioned this was possible.

We just can't go 2 straight drafts without a first round pick. Of course we could do a side deal where we promise to make the pick for another team and just trade the player for scrap.

If we take a gamble and offer the pick unprotected that could be the difference.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Ballyhoo said:
How unobtainable? If we offer Ben $100 mil over 5 years, would Detroit really match? Would Ben take less to stay with a championship contender? He's been underpaid for years. I'm not sure how unrealistic it is to get Ben. We'd have to overpay, but I'd much rather overpay him than Pryz.
i agree with you 100%, signing Ben Wallace would instantly make us a playoff team, and probably even contender to go deeeep in the playoffs, if we are gonna try to sign Pryz for 10 million, whhy not throw that extra 2-3 million to Ben Wallace, who is a FAR superior player then Pryz. even at his age.

·
Registered
456 Posts
if hes healthy, (a big if, granted) nene is the only guy i want out of these crop of fa's C...its not even close for me...

something i havent heard on this board but which i think is totally plausible is that maybe the plan isnt neccesarily to address the 5 this off-season, maybe the raps management believes that theres still a long rebuilding process and maybe its actually in 2007 where our plan for getting a big man is to occur

i mean just look at this of potential legit big man (as in 5's, not 4's) prospects that potentially will be available in the 2007 draft, its just remarkable...

1.oden
2.noah (if he doesnt declare)
3.hawes
3.obryant (same as 2)
4.hibbert (same as 2.)
5.tomic
6.sene
7.ajinca

on top of that, this is magloires fa yr, so we can go the fa route as well...

addressing the 5 in 2007 is a much more attractive proposition to me, then signing either przybilla or mohammed.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
lucky777s said:
That's the big problem BUTR, there just aren't many guys out there with the qualities BC talked about. We missed out on Darko.

There are also several other teams out there looking for the exact same thing. PHX wanted that and the best they could come up with is Kurt Thomas. 34 years old, at best a block per game guy, and almost 4 fouls per 28min in his career. Undersized AD type.

If Raps want a KT type player maybe we should look at Chris Wilcox. Putting up 15 and 8 with Seattle so far. Strong body. Not a shot blocker.
1 block per game in 26 minutes actually is pretty good. Kurt Thomas is a game changer though, even if he doesn't give you the +2 blocks every team thinks is a must have. He keeps his man out of the paint. If he had the height or the arms, he's be an amazing defender. But instead, he relies on his strength to keep his man away from the basket and forces tougher shots that way. Chris Wilcox isn't going to do this for you. I'd say Chris is on Amare's level defensively. They like to jump and try to block shots, but niether one truly has shown the ability to understand the importance of position or how to force their guy out of the paint using their lower body. I'd have to say Magloire is your best option. Question is, does he want more than MLE money? Or does Toronto need that MLE to land a PG?

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
ShuHanGuanYu said:
I'd have to say Magloire is your best option. Question is, does he want more than MLE money? Or does Toronto need that MLE to land a PG?
Oh no, you don't understand. Toronto doesn't sign PG's, they tried that and it didn't work (Awill, Rafe). Now all we do is play combo guards and sign D leaguers or Eurotrash.

If the question is Mags or MJ, get Mags, he's proven himself on a higher level longer. Also he's younger.

I'd rather over-pay Mags then MJ is what I'm saying.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Tiago Splitter, assuming he comes out, is that guy in the middle we are looking for.

He is a great defender that changes the whole flow of the game with his ability to lock people down in the post or step out and guard the perimeter. Now, he isn't that good of a shotblocker, because he would rather stay with his man and box out then risk his defensive position. He is a decent one though. Rebounding was a bit of a problem before, but he has improved, and will only become better and better as he gets stronger.

Not to mention he is a bonafide CENTRE with great length and athleticism.

·
Registered
654 Posts
no_free_baskets said:
i mean just look at this of potential legit big man (as in 5's, not 4's) prospects that potentially will be available in the 2007 draft, its just remarkable...

1.oden
2.noah (if he doesnt declare)
3.hawes
3.obryant (same as 2)
4.hibbert (same as 2.)
5.tomic
6.sene
7.ajinca
O Bryant mite declare this yr but he's not worthy of the 5th pick, Hawes is more of a finesse player, he's doesn't have the size to play center in the nba, Sene is gettin a lot of hype lately, he has tremendous potential and theres talk of him declarin this yr, Ajinca is too skinny to play centre, i think he's more of a pf than a c

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.