Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm amped. Now if only UCLA could pull off a win against USC, I think the Nittany Lions would have a much better chance to pull out a win against Texas. I should be happy with the BCS bowl birth, but I'd love to see this team get that shot.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
since oregon is ranked above ND in the BCS, what are the odds that oregon is actually given the last at-large slot instead of ND? I would still ND is a 5 to 1 favorite

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
Coatesvillain said:
I'm amped. Now if only UCLA could pull off a win against USC, I think the Nittany Lions would have a much better chance to pull out a win against Texas. I should be happy with the BCS bowl birth, but I'd love to see this team get that shot.
Wishful thinking huh?

1. USC should win by double figures over the Bruins.
2. Penn state would loose if matched up with either USC or UT

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
stevemc said:
Wishful thinking huh?

1. USC should win by double figures over the Bruins.
2. Penn state would loose if matched up with either USC or UT
Simple guessing, huh?

Penn State actually matches up very well with USC on both sides of the ball.

·
Home where I wanted to go
9,855 Posts
DaBruins said:
since oregon is ranked above ND in the BCS, what are the odds that oregon is actually given the last at-large slot instead of ND? I would still ND is a 5 to 1 favorite
Oregon will probably get one at large bid. I think USC, UT, OU, ND, VT, LSU, OSU, and PSU will be bowling (BCS style) this year.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
jmk said:
Simple guessing, huh?

Penn State actually matches up very well with USC on both sides of the ball.
nobody has matched up with usc in a few years, whether it was auburn or va tech or cal or oklahoma(when all those teams were at their peaks), i dont think psu would be any differant. texas,averaging about 50 pts a game would have the best chance not penn state.

·
Registered
13,950 Posts
DaBruins said:
no chance oregon gets in over notre dame. the only chance oregon has is over ohio state and i don't think that is going to happen. maybe if cal hadn't lost to texas tech in the holiday bowl last year, oregon would have a better chance.

·
9,855 Posts
Ghost said:
You frogot the At-Large bid for the Big-East.
Do they get an at large bid if WVU loses to South Florida? I was intimating that thought and that is why I left WVU out. Would South Florida have a high enough BCS ranking to warrant an at large big?

·
Registered
13,950 Posts
Pinball said:
Do they get an at large bid if WVU loses to South Florida? I was intimating that thought and that is why I left WVU out. Would South Florida have a high enough BCS ranking to warrant an at large big?
they get an automatic bid.

right now texas, usc, lsu, penn state, virginia tech, west virginia, and notre dame are all in provided they win the rest of their games. that leaves one more spot and i think it goes to ohio state.

·
9,855 Posts
rocketeer said:
no chance oregon gets in over notre dame. the only chance oregon has is over ohio state and i don't think that is going to happen. maybe if cal hadn't lost to texas tech in the holiday bowl last year, oregon would have a better chance.
For the at large bids, I'd factor in two things if the records are similar. 1) How well did the team play down the stretch? You know how professors reward students that finish strongly? I'd do the same thing here and reward teams that play well down the stretch. It doesn't hurt that these teams are "hotter" and are probably more likely to play well in their bowl games. 2) Did the team underachieve or overachieve this year? I think that PSU, OU, and ND clearly overachieved. OSU and VT pretty much met expectations. Even though UM only lost two games, I think it is fair to say that they underachieved, especially when you consider that they beat a damn good VT team and lost to an inferior FSU and GT team.

·
9,855 Posts
rocketeer said:
they get an automatic bid.

right now texas, usc, lsu, penn state, virginia tech, west virginia, and notre dame are all in provided they win the rest of their games. that leaves one more spot and i think it goes to ohio state.
Damn, that sucks. No offense to WV but I don't think they'll make a strong showing in their bowl game. The Big East stinks this year. Pitt got manhandled by a small conference team last year in the Fiesta. WV is better than Pitt but they'll also be facing a better team than Utah. I think the Big East conference shoudl have to earn their bowl bids again. Beating up on Cinn, Rutgers, and UConn is not the same as beating OSU, UT, LSU, and USC. Not even close.

·
Registered
13,950 Posts
Pinball said:
For the at large bids, I'd factor in two things if the records are similar. 1) How well did the team play down the stretch? You know how professors reward students that finish strongly? I'd do the same thing here and reward teams that play well down the stretch. It doesn't hurt that these teams are "hotter" and are probably more likely to play well in their bowl games. 2) Did the team underachieve or overachieve this year? I think that PSU, OU, and ND clearly overachieved. OSU and VT pretty much met expectations. Even though UM only lost two games, I think it is fair to say that they underachieved, especially when you consider that they beat a damn good VT team and lost to an inferior FSU and GT team.
what about who they have played? ohio state has two losses but they are to the #2 and #3 teams in the country. according to cbssportsline, they have the 3rd hardest schedule in the country. oregon's schedule is ranked 39th. they lost big to usc and that was really their only big game. penn state doesn't need an at large. notre dame gets an at large for being notre dame. virginia tech doesn't need an at large(if they win their championship). miami is out with their loss to georgia tech.

the one at large comes down to ohio state, oregon, and maybe auburn with how they've finished. i give it to ohio state with their very tough schedule and their two losses coming to top 3 teams in the country.

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
I believe the new BCS is constructed that if either Texas or USC lose, they won't be in the National Title game (See: Oklahoma).

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Pinball said:
Damn, that sucks. No offense to WV but I don't think they'll make a strong showing in their bowl game. The Big East stinks this year. Pitt got manhandled by a small conference team last year in the Fiesta. WV is better than Pitt but they'll also be facing a better team than Utah. I think the Big East conference shoudl have to earn their bowl bids again. Beating up on Cinn, Rutgers, and UConn is not the same as beating OSU, UT, LSU, and USC. Not even close.
I don't know how many teams can say they played those teams?

I think WVU is a good team. Even though we won 34-17. They were pretty tough. Compared to teams we killed in ACC they were tougher than them. Score was also 17-14 at one point. I would be behind kicking out UVA out of the ACC and have them join lol. But I think can they surprise people if they go to a BCS bowl game. Now if they lose to Pitt or USF, than yeah I'll change my mind because they need to show they can dominate that conference which they have done except Louisville pretty much. But they won.

People also seem to forget in '03 WVU and Miami shared the conference title their last yr. Va Tech finished 3rd and 4th for a couple of yrs in BE. WVU also played Miami and VT tough before the defections. In fact they beat us two yrs in a row 21-18 and 28-7 before ACC jump. Also in their last yr in the conference, Miami's game came to the wire. Anyone remember Kay Jay Harris running over Brandon Meriweather when he was a back up? My point is everyone seems to think Miami and Va Tech dominated the conference. It wasn't so. And even this yr, Miami struggled against UNC, while Louisville destroyed them 69-14 or something. BE may look bad but they can compete just as good as others.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
dissonance19 said:

I think WVU is a good team. Even though we won 34-17. They were pretty tough. Compared to teams we killed in ACC they were tougher than them. Score was also 17-14 at one point. I would be behind kicking out UVA out of the ACC and have them join lol. But I think can they surprise people if they go to a BCS bowl game. Now if they lose to Pitt or USF, than yeah I'll change my mind because they need to show they can dominate that conference which they have done except Louisville pretty much. But they won.

People also seem to forget in '03 WVU and Miami shared the conference title their last yr. Va Tech finished 3rd and 4th for a couple of yrs in BE. WVU also played Miami and VT tough before the defections. In fact they beat us two yrs in a row 21-18 and 28-7 before ACC jump. Also in their last yr in the conference, Miami's game came to the wire. Anyone remember Kay Jay Harris running over Brandon Meriweather when he was a back up? My point is everyone seems to think Miami and Va Tech dominated the conference. It wasn't so. And even this yr, Miami struggled against UNC, while Louisville destroyed them 69-14 or something. BE may look bad but they can compete just as good as others.
That was the Quincy Wilson play lost that game but I think this play got ESPY consideration,http://www.ice750.net/QuincyWilson6.wmv

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Pinball said:
It's not WVU's fault the Big East sucks. I know WVU is not great i'm not saying they are, but 10-1 does warrant a good bowl.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
dissonance19 said:

Good points.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts