Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The death penalty may have been easier. PSU effectively an FCS football school now. Current players can transfer without penalty. Very sad for all. Fine will at least go towards preventing this again. Shame that current students have to pay for crimes of others.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
What a stupid punishment. That $60 million is not all going to come from the football program - other programs, and maybe the student body at large, is going to bear the brunt of that fine.

And vacating wins, as if they never happened, is ridiculous. This off-field, moral transgression means that the team wasn't also winning games at the same time? It's not like they were using ineligible players. I have yet to see this explained in a way that makes sense.

They should have just done the death penalty

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can see the logic of vacating wins as a statement that football should not be allowed to warp our real sense of human values. True behavior not directly related to football program but coverup was and PSU bowed to football.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
What a stupid punishment. That $60 million is not all going to come from the football program - other programs, and maybe the student body at large, is going to bear the brunt of that fine.

And vacating wins, as if they never happened, is ridiculous. This off-field, moral transgression means that the team wasn't also winning games at the same time? It's not like they were using ineligible players. I have yet to see this explained in a way that makes sense.

They should have just done the death penalty
Totally inaccurate statement. Penn State is a quasi-state school. Their athletic endowment is close to $1 Billion. When you get an athletic scholarship at PSU, the athletic department pays the University for the tuition and other expenses. No tax money or education is going to be used to pay the fine.

·
Registered
37 Posts
PSU, as if we need a reminder of the hypocrisy in much of college sports, makes me proud to be an alum of a P.L. school.
I relish tough competition and cherish victory as much as anybody and hope the P.L. becomes as competitive as its values allow it to be.
But, there's no substitute for doing things the right way and with real student-athletes. PSU reminds us "Winning" in any other way is an illusion for everyone involved.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts