Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=762&e=1&u=/ap/20040904/ap_en_mo/people_john_travolta

VENICE, Italy - Pulp Fiction, the Prequel? John Travolta, who played hit man Vincent Vega in director Quentin Tarantino's blood-drenched 1994 film, said Tarantino has been considering another episode of the drama.
It sounds pretty tentative. Normally I would say no to something like this immediately, but it is Quentin Taratino here and apparently he's been thinking about it for a long time.

I don't know, I think it might be a good idea.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
This talk has been going on for ten years. I'm not too confident it will happen. At least it won't be happening soon. Production has already started on his massive WWII film titled Inglorious *******s, and that won't be out until 2006.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Spriggan</b>!
This smells like such a tease, because they know everyone wants to know what's in that damn briefcase.
I happen to know what was in the briefcase, as well as what was missing from it. And I will tell you...for a nominal fee. :D

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Like A Breath</b>!
Prequels suck, 99% of the time. The eccentricity and shock value of the movie made it great and I don't see how they'd be able to duplicate that.
But remember, this is Tarantino we are dealing with here. He is the master.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
It has absolutely never been released what was in the briefcase. There is, for sure, a spiritual sub-text throughout the film, and this is started from the moment the movie leaves true reality: the opening of the briefcase. The evidence around the briefcase is quite difficult to find since the movie plays on a few levels. What one may mistake as pure comedy is also directed to be pretty serious. I think that the main point of the film is found in the irony of the title. This isn't just pulp.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Originally posted by <b>KidCanada101</b>!
What exaclty was even good about the first one?? I dont see the big deal about it
thank you...pulp fiction didnt really do anythin for me either:sigh:

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts
Originally posted by <b>futuristxen</b>!
Some people like Good Charlotte, some people don't get what's so special about Pulp Fiction.

Diffrent strokes for diffrent folks.

Some people think Citizen Kane is boring, too.

These aren't good examples of different strokes. These are examples of dummies.

What I'd like to see in a Pulp Fiction prequel is a teaming of Vincent and Vic Vega. (M. Blonde from Reservoir Dogs). Now that could be an interesting adventure.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
briefcase = Marsellus's soul

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Originally posted by <b>VincentVega</b>!
briefcase = Marsellus's soul
Why does the same light from the briefcase appear when they shoot Brett?

Why is it so beautiful, enough to attract Ringo and put an end to the crime?

Those are the two things I can't connect to that. And even more important, why would his soul be of much significance to the rest of the story? I have a slightly different theory that will require watching the film very closely again.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Originally posted by <b>tpb2</b>!

Why does the same light from the briefcase appear when they shoot Brett?
The presence of a higher power (or a factor of a higher power, such as a soul) witnessed Brett get blown away and commented to the audience thusly. The golden light was either real or implied -- if it was real, it was the result of some sort of cosmic/spiritual surge and was observed by everyone in the room, including Marvin (I don't think this is the case); if it was implied, then no further explanation is necessary and Tarantino was simply utilizing low-fi effects in order to illustrate the supernaturality of the briefcase's contents, and nobody in the room actually saw the gold light as they blew Brett away (I think this is the case).

Why is it so beautiful, enough to attract Ringo and put an end to the crime?
It doesn't merely "attract" Ringo -- it spellbinds him, mesmerizes him, renders him speechless and lowers his guard. Now, either that briefcase had a LOT of bling in it, enough to screw with his head and compromise his motivated robbery, or it had something that Ringo just hadn't seen or imagined before, something that rendered him speechless and lowered his guard.

IMO, Marsellus sold his soul to the devil, had subsequent misgivings, and sent Vincent and Jules to get it back. The whole film has very pronounced religious undertones; the theory of the briefcase containing Marsellus's soul, along with the band-aid on the back of his neck (the devil's point of entry) coincide directly with this theory.

And even more important, why would his soul be of much significance to the rest of the story?
Like I said, the film is one big religious allegory.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts