Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Raptors fan here,

Coach Keady is considering joining the Toronto Raptors coaching staff. He's been working as a consultant and now has reportedly been offered a job under Mitchell. This stems from Keady's relationship with HOFer Wayne Embry, currently a senior advisor with the Raps.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-keady-raptors&prov=ap&type=lgns

Does it make sense for him to come out of retirement, and what kind of help can he be developing the Raptors young players, such as Charlie Villanueva, Joey Graham, Chris Bosh, Jose Calderon, and Rafael Araujo? The Raptors rebounding and defense is also a concern, is he somebody that can help turn things around?

Thanks in advance.

·
Say Cheese
3,842 Posts
Well, for such a young team as the Raps, Gene Keady would provide good discipline, and provide good fundamental coaching. He is an old school coach, with old school ways of teaching, and playing the game....

I bet he would bring to the Raptors what Pete Carrill is doing with the Kings.

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
If he wants to do it, then I think he would be a nice choice. Dont know really if it will help anything at all though. That could be the problem. I miss Keady :confused:

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AJ Prus said:
Well, for such a young team as the Raps, Gene Keady would provide good discipline, and provide good fundamental coaching. He is an old school coach, with old school ways of teaching, and playing the game....

I bet he would bring to the Raptors what Pete Carrill is doing with the Kings.
Thanks. Hopefully he decides to join the staff.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
No way coaches like Keady or Bob Knight could ever coach in the NBA....this wont work out

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Midnight_Marauder said:
No way coaches like Keady or Bob Knight could ever coach in the NBA....this wont work out
You don't think players would respond to them?

Keady has joined the staff as an assistant coach, likely to work with the young players on the team (Villanueva, Bosh, Graham, Araujo, Calderon, etc.).

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
speedythief said:
You don't think players would respond to them?

Keady has joined the staff as an assistant coach, likely to work with the young players on the team (Villanueva, Bosh, Graham, Araujo, Calderon, etc.).

Not really.....He isnt as bad as Bobby Knight (I respect the hell out of Mr. Knight though)...If he comes to be a teacher that is fine....but if he starts trying to be a disciplinarian (sp?) I really see players tuning him out...I doubt he has a big enough role on the team to be in players faces though....we'll see....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts