Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It may take one more year, but it appears that Krause may be ready to put the finishing touches on this rebuilt ballclub by next summer. According to the Daily Herald:

Barring some unlikely trades, the Bulls will not have much cap room next year and most likely will only have the mid-level exception to offer free agents.

One name that stands out is Juwan Howard. He should have plenty of money in the bank after finishing out his $105 million deal in Denver this season.

It's easy to imagine Howard accepting the $4.5 million exception next summer from the Bulls, considering he could return to his hometown, join an up-and-coming team and reunite with Rose, his close friend and former Michigan teammate.

The Bulls are still expected to pursue a small forward through free agency this summer. Philadelphia's Matt Harpring, now an unrestricted free agent, remains a target, while Seattle's Rashard Lewis is a longshot. Krause may also be holding out hope that Marcus Fizer can be traded for Orlando's Mike Miller.

If Krause is able to add Harpring this season and Juwan Howard next season, two moves that make perfect sense, the Bulls should be ready to make a serious playoff run in 03/04. All that would remain would be a final resolution on the Chicago futures of Crawford, Fizer and Bagaric. The Bulls have to decide if they're going to pick up all three players' options for next season. Chances are that they will, although the possibility remains high that any or all of the three may be traded between now and next February's trade deadline. Juwan and Jalen are close friends. While I'm sure that the Bulls would never engage in any form of tampering (tisk, tisk), what do you want to bet Jalen already knows where Juwan would like to play in 2003?

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Originally posted by HJHJR
It may take one more year, but it appears that Krause may be ready to put the finishing touches on this rebuilt ballclub by next summer. According to the Daily Herald:

Barring some unlikely trades, the Bulls will not have much cap room next year and most likely will only have the mid-level exception to offer free agents.

One name that stands out is Juwan Howard. He should have plenty of money in the bank after finishing out his $105 million deal in Denver this season.

It's easy to imagine Howard accepting the $4.5 million exception next summer from the Bulls, considering he could return to his hometown, join an up-and-coming team and reunite with Rose, his close friend and former Michigan teammate.

The Bulls are still expected to pursue a small forward through free agency this summer. Philadelphia's Matt Harpring, now an unrestricted free agent, remains a target, while Seattle's Rashard Lewis is a longshot. Krause may also be holding out hope that Marcus Fizer can be traded for Orlando's Mike Miller.

If Krause is able to add Harpring this season and Juwan Howard next season, two moves that make perfect sense, the Bulls should be ready to make a serious playoff run in 03/04. All that would remain would be a final resolution on the Chicago futures of Crawford, Fizer and Bagaric. The Bulls have to decide if they're going to pick up all three players' options for next season. Chances are that they will, although the possibility remains high that any or all of the three may be traded between now and next February's trade deadline. Juwan and Jalen are close friends. While I'm sure that the Bulls would never engage in any form of tampering (tisk, tisk), what do you want to bet Jalen already knows where Juwan would like to play in 2003?
Maybe the reuniting with Rose might revitalize his career(as I feel he is a streaky shooter at best), but I have NEVER cared for that jump shot of his..between him, Bill Cartwright and EROB, I am just not sure which has the ugliest~ I guess you could throw john crotty's in there also.

Matt harpring OR Mike Miller I could live with, although, I would prefer the first over the second one. With the addition of Harpring as a free agent I think that would also allow Marcus to breath a sigh of relief for one more year.

Bagaric, now the only reason I would pick up his option is to get SOMETHING for his big butt! Otherwise, this is a poor excuse for a handful of wastematter.

Funny, no mention of Tim Hardaway; I would have bet he was gonna be picked up for a one year deal to help with both JC and Jay.

Thanks for the info HJHJR

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
It seems kind of strange to think of Howard as a mid-level exception guy after all these years of his salary being in the stratosphere, but, HJHR, I think you're right. I don't know that the reason will have as much to do with Howard already having so much money banked as it will that the mid-level is about all he'll be able to get in today's NBA. There are a lot of players who are finding that their market value isn't anywhere near what they had hoped. The money's just not out there except for bona fide superstars.

Also agree that the Bulls are very close to the "only minor tweaking" stage. How good they'll be depends on how the kids develop.

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
if we would have had Rose at the beggining of last season Webber would have considered us (there is a quote in one of these threads) Rose/Webber would have been amazing... too bad we were a lil late

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Originally posted by transplant
It seems kind of strange to think of Howard as a mid-level exception guy after all these years of his salary being in the stratosphere, but, HJHR, I think you're right. I don't know that the reason will have as much to do with Howard already having so much money banked as it will that the mid-level is about all he'll be able to get in today's NBA. There are a lot of players who are finding that their market value isn't anywhere near what they had hoped. The money's just not out there except for bona fide superstars.

Also agree that the Bulls are very close to the "only minor tweaking" stage. How good they'll be depends on how the kids develop.
With an impending luxury tax (dollar for dollar pay over 45 mil) next offseason, Juwan will DEFINIETLY be a mid-level guy. He signed one of the worst, albatross contracts in the history of the NBA (LJ, Allan Houston, and others come to mind). And in the modern era of the penny-pinching NBA, don't look for any owners to give him more than the mid-level exemption.

But Howard and Rose does have a nice ring to it. Hell, let's bring back Jimmy King (currently in NBDL) and Ray Jackson (Europe?) too. C-Webb is probably out of our range though.

VD

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I actually thought this was going to be a HJ original, one of the long ones like we used to get on the RealGM board.

I had my chips and drink all ready...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by gettinbranded
I actually thought this was going to be a HJ original, one of the long ones like we used to get on the RealGM board.

I'll see what I can do next time, GB! :laugh:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Originally posted by gettinbranded

Amen! I'm waiting for HJ---The Columnist!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts