Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woods, Miles, Randolph, Outlaw....

Are these players that Nash can build around/upon?

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
I don't see it . They all seem to be natural forwards, and 96 minutes for your top 4 players (which they would be, I think, if we're talking about building around them) is not a good idea.

Woods might be a 2, or even a 1, which would help, but that still leaves the other 3 guys for 2 forward spots.

Miles just probably won't be around very long.

Ed O.

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
One can only hope that Miles shows that he can help this squad and play to his potential. So far Miles is saying all the right things off the court, but how he will fit in on the court has people sitting on the fence.

If Miles does pass his 40 game audition then I would think that Woods would be expendable. I think that Blazer Brass would be inclined to move Woods and keep Miles as a play date for Randolph. The reason that I say that is because of Qyntel's off the court problems and management isn't going to want Randolph turning to the dark side. :laugh:

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by <b>Ed O</b>!

.....Miles just probably won't be around very long.

Ed O.
Why does everyone seem to think Miles will be gone? Me, personally, Mr. Optimist, would like to see the lad find his niche with the Blazers. Wishful thinking? Perhaps, but, for now, I'm still holding out hope. He really seems like a great kid, and i'd like to see him finally develop - as a Blazer. :yes:

Too, I'm interested in seeing if Q might still develop into a 1. Plop Miles @ the 3, and wouldn't it be wild if Outlaw grows a few more inches, adds a LOT of poundage and, someday works himself into a Center? I think, once Shaq leaves, the WC might steer towards faster, more agile Centers. Just a hunch, though.

Anywho, I'd love to see the Blazers get back to that (Terry, Clyde, Jerome, Buck) run & gun style of play. Blazermania would certainly return with it. :rock:

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
It's like the Sesame Street game - "one of these just doesn't belong."

I think a case could be made that Qyntel will be a 1 or a 2 eventually, since he's the best shooter and ball-handler of the four (though Miles might be his equal at handling the ball), but otherwise, it's three guys for two spots. Randolph is the best choice at PF. The only way it could work, IMHO, is if either Miles or Outlaw gets so much better at shooting from the outside, he can supplant Derek Anderson at the SG spot. I don't see it, though.

One of these players will either be gone, or will his spend his Blazer career coming off the bench.

I'd like to see Miles stay (he'll be a crowd favorite, I can practically guarantee), but someone's going to have to hit the highway. If character rules the day, it'll be Q who leaves. If it's monetary worries, Miles will likely leave, as his salary is the first to expire. If it's talent, who knows, they're all more potential at this point than actual on the floor skill.

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by <b>Public Defender</b>!
It's like the Sesame Street game - "one of these just doesn't belong."

One of these players will either be gone, or will his spend his Blazer career coming off the bench......
Yeah, I hear ya, it's just that "wishful thinking" that sometimes (er, many times) clouds my better judgement. I'm just so darn supportive of the underdogs (....and i kinda see all of these guys..yes, even Zach, as such...) that I want them ALL to be successful here. They're each underclassmen, or straight out of high school, so the odds are more against them than most.

We've seen so little of Outlaw, it's really hard to judge where he is a potential player. He's such an unknown quantity right now, with, of course, the potential to grow physically, intellectually, and, emotionally. I just hope the Blazers are patient in their evaluation of him and don't part with him too early.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ABM</b>!

Why does everyone seem to think Miles will be gone? Me, personally, Mr. Optimist, would like to see the lad find his niche with the Blazers. Wishful thinking? Perhaps, but, for now, I'm still holding out hope. He really seems like a great kid, and i'd like to see him finally develop - as a Blazer. :yes:
I certainly can't speak for everyone else, but he's the MAIN reason I think Miles will be gone: money.

Woods, ZR and Outlaw are all on rookie scale contracts through next year, and they're all mid-to-late first rounders. Miles is a high lottery pick who's about to see his rookie scale deal end.

Does it make sense to pay Miles $5m or more, or to keep Outlaw and Woods for less than half of that?

Ed O.

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Interesting topic............

How would John Nash rate these three players on ability, potential, and ethics?

Looking at ability for playing now it could go something like Miles, Woods, Outlaw.

Looking at potential for the future it might be something like Outlaw, Woods, Miles.

Looking at ethics for the player maybe it’s, Outlaw, Miles, Woods.

Outlaw is an unproven player and IMHO should have skipped the draft and went to college for at least two years. He does have great leaping ability and could prove to be the best player out of all three.

Miles is still unproven and really hasn’t lived up to his potential as a number three pick in the draft. Maybe coming to Portland changes that or maybe he really is nothing more than a role player.

Woods has shown that he has talent, but he has also shown that he has a knack for getting himself into trouble. His off the court issues might be his undoing in Portland since management considers them to be distractions. He has potential to be a great player, but will his baggage be grounds for his dismissal?

Which of the two would you want to keep on your roster or which one would be the odd man out if you were rebuilding the Portland Trailblazers?

·
Registered
8,714 Posts

I certainly can't speak for everyone else, but he's the MAIN reason I think Miles will be gone: money.

Woods, ZR and Outlaw are all on rookie scale contracts through next year, and they're all mid-to-late first rounders. Miles is a high lottery pick who's about to see his rookie scale deal end.

Does it make sense to pay Miles $5m or more, or to keep Outlaw and Woods for less than half of that?

Ed O.
You might be right Ed, but depending on how Miles does during his 40 game audition and how many butts he puts into the Rose Garden seats, it might be worth spending the extra green on a player like Miles. If he is a total bust then I agree, he is gone faster than yesterday’s news.

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by <b>HOWIE</b>!

...but depending on how Miles does during his 40 game audition and how many butts he puts into the Rose Garden seats, it might be worth spending the extra green on a player like Miles....
That's what I'm hopeful of, you Animal House kinda guy, you! :D

·
Registered
8,714 Posts

That's what I'm hopeful of, you Animal House kinda guy, you! :D
Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell No!!! :D

Should we give Miles a chance? Hell Yeah!!

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I hope we keep Miles and I agree with ABM that we won't know if we have a player in Outlaw or what position he will play for several years, by then we might be ready to ship out one of the other three.

I have another question. This thread is about Q, R, D and T, ABM wishes T would gain some pounds to play C and people are talking about C as one of the positions we need to get in the draft. Why is everyone discounting N?

·
Registered
9,819 Posts

Miles just probably won't be around very long.

Ed O.
I have to disagree, I think he will have a good season in Portland and we will resign him.He's playin really well right now.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Q, D, Z, T....

Are these players that Nash can build around/upon?
I'm not sure about an NBA team, but he could probably get a hell of a Scrabble score - especially if he lands on a triple word space...

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
I think that Q is our future SG, Miles is our future SF and Zach is our PF.

Outlaw really has no place on this team now or later. I think he should be used as incentiin a bigger trade.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts