Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't see Saturday night's game, but a buddy and I upon reviewing the box score were pretty damn surprised to see that he scored 21 points. Can someone post a breakdown of how he looked? Beyond shooting 9 of 10, obviously we can see he was on fire, looking for a little more detail. Did he create his own shots? Move well without the ball? Handle the rock much on the break? Footwork? Transition hoops? Good elevation/lift on his jumper? Play like more of a "2" or a "3"? And finally, why in god's name didn't the man get more shots if he was 9 of freaking 10.

·
Registered
463 Posts
It wasn't that he was on fire persay... It was more like he just kept getting open shots. He took very intelligent shots, nothing against multipule defenders. Wasn't trying to force anything. He had dunks, layups, put backs, 3 pointers, 18 footers...He was pretty much shooting what came through the offense. and 9/10 really speaks volumes.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
What impressed me in the Orlando game was his constant hustle. He was seemingly all over the court at times. When he gets completely healthy it will be nice to see what he can do then.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Am I the only one that noticed that he's an excellent passer? He seems to have high court IQ...he made some nice no look passes too bad the other players couldn't finish... I think he's going to be a prototypical 3rd option for a team one day.. much like Manu is...

Outlaw, Telfair and Krapper are actually making this season watchable... As I have been for the past 5 years.. I'm very excited for this team's future..

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
sanfranduck said:
I didn't see Saturday night's game, but a buddy and I upon reviewing the box score were pretty damn surprised to see that he scored 21 points. Can someone post a breakdown of how he looked?
Vik' looked absolutely wonderful on Saturday night. The short answer to your question, IMO, is that he "looked" like a young Detlef Schremph, with a solid defensive game and the ability to finish in the open court. Certainly it's too early to judge whether or not he's going to have a career as great as Det's, but in terms of a prior NBA comparison, that is who I'd compare him to. I'm sure I'll be flamed right out of this joint for that comparison, but oh well.

sanfranduck said:
Beyond shooting 9 of 10, obviously we can see he was on fire, looking for a little more detail. Did he create his own shots?
IIRC, he didn't really "create" any shots for himself, but created quite a few opportunites for the team. His shots were just in the flow of the offense.

sanfranduck said:
Move well without the ball?
This could end up being one of his better assets, IMO. He seems to not only be willing to set screens, but to set them correctly as well. He cuts to the hoop very nicely. He seems to make his defender work pretty hard to cover him... by running off of screens and cutting to the hoop.

sanfranduck said:
Handle the rock much on the break?
I think he only brought the ball up thr floor once, and looked like he wanted to get it out of his hands, and into either Telfair's or Damon's (I can't remember who was on the floor during that particular play). Though he looked rather indecisive on that play, you can see that he has the ability to bring the ball up the floor. It's definitely not something that you want him doing all of the time, but it's nice to know that he's able to, if necessary.

sanfranduck said:
Footwork?
Considering he still has a "bum wheel," his footwork awesome. Grant Hill made a couple of successful/aggressive drives on him, from the perimeter, but I think they can, more or less, be attributed to his foot still healing and the fact that he's still learning how to defend these NBA guys (especially guys as savvy as Hill).

sanfranduck said:
Transition hoops?
In abundance. Dude races up and down the court and seems to have a knack of finding a seem in the defense.

sanfranduck said:
Good elevation/lift on his jumper?
Nothing like Outlaw has on his, but sufficient. His stroke looks wonderful to me. If Monia is, indeed, a better shooter than Khryapa (as stated by Viktor, himself)... then I think we're all going to be completely stoked about him too.

sanfranduck said:
Play like more of a "2" or a "3"?
IMO, he's definitely a three and that is where he should play the bulk of his minutes. But, with that being said, he shoots well enough to play some 2 and could probably defend well enough in the post to even play a little 4 (not necessarily now, but when he develops a little more).

sanfranduck said:
And finally, why in god's name didn't the man get more shots if he was 9 of freaking 10.
Well, the short answer to that question, is that Damon Stoudamire is still playing. In previous games, I've seen a reluctance on the part of Damon to pass to Viktor, but it appeared to be less obvious on Saturday night. Also, I think Viktor is just such a tremendous "team player" that he doesn't want to take too many shots and be perceived as "greedy". I guarantee that, whenever we get our new coach in here, Viktor will start looking to shoot the ball a little more. He's too good of a shooter not to take open shots when he has them and I think the new coach will point that out to him. Who knows, maybe Pritchard is already telling him these things, as evidenced by Saturday's game. I, seriously, hope he is. More PT (and shots) for Viktor (and Outlaw)... less for Damon. :biggrin:

Here's a link to the shot chart for Saturday's game (you can select his name from the list below to see just Viktor's shots):

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/shotchart?gameId=250319022

Hopefully this helps to answer some of the questions you had.

yangsta said:
Am I the only one that noticed that he's an excellent passer? He seems to have high court IQ...he made some nice no look passes too bad the other players couldn't finish... I think he's going to be a prototypical 3rd option for a team one day.. much like Manu is...

Outlaw, Telfair and Krapper are actually making this season watchable... As I have been for the past 5 years.. I'm very excited for this team's future..
Yeah, he made some pretty slick passes. One of which resulted in a turnover along the sideline. He was trying to get the ball to Outlaw, and Outlaw came back towards Khryapa. Viktor tried to lead Travis with a bounce pass towards the right corner, and had Outlaw read it correcty, it would've probably resulted in his most vicious dunk to date. Instead the pass bounced straight out of bounds. Though the play was botched, I absolutely loved the fact that Viktor threw it. It was one of those plays that you could just tell they need some more playing time together, to get the correct communication.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
i think the krapper is a crap nickname

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
In tonights game against the Clips, I really noticed Khyrapa's hustle and awareness. I remember about a five position series in the first quarter where Khyrapa had two touch deflections on passes and a steal, which lead to a fastbreak and Miles dunk.

So far I've really liked Khyrapa's game and it does remind me of AK47 and somewhat of Scremphf. I didn't know what to think about the pick last summer, but he certainly seems like a solid pickup now and has the versitality to play the 3/4.

Anyways...I definately like what I'm seeing.

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
I loved the paly where he took it away from C-Mag and it left to Miles going over the top of Moore to knock it off of him out of bounds. Viktor definatley could become a special defender.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Victor is way too pass happy. The guy will catch the ball wide open from 15ft and look for Damon at the top of the key. I love that he's a team player, but it's to point where he's actually hurting.

Outside of that and his below average dribbling skills, the guy is been amazing. Khryapa has been much better than I expected.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Victor is way too pass happy. The guy will catch the ball wide open from 15ft and look for Damon at the top of the key.
Give him time...

1) He came from a very structured environment where the young guys hardly played.

2) He's in a foreign country.

3) He missed most of the season and wasn't expected to be back this year at all. His timing and conditioning surely isn't up to par, and he's just starting to gain familiarity with the NBA game.

Seems quite reasonable he'd take a wait and see approach on offense, not wanting to over-step his bounds.

Dan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts