Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If any of you have visited the Bulls message board, you would see the constant bickering going on regarding the starting point guard position. Most people believe that Jay Williams should be the point guard, but I was suprised to see some who passionately believe that Jamal Crawford should be the starting point guard, at least to begin the year.

So I decided I would try to get an opinion from non-Bulls fans. What do you guys think?? Should Jay be the starter, or do the Bulls owe Crawford the chance to start?

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Originally posted by <b>The Truth</b>!
If any of you have visited the Bulls message board, you would see the constant bickering going on regarding the starting point guard position. Most people believe that Jay Williams should be the point guard, but I was suprised to see some who passionately believe that Jamal Crawford should be the starting point guard, at least to begin the year.

So I decided I would try to get an opinion from non-Bulls fans. What do you guys think?? Should Jay be the starter, or do the Bulls owe Crawford the chance to start?
I think that maybe Crawford showed the better game or played better during the preseason or in practice, but the fact of the matter is, is that Jay Williams who I dont like led one of the top D1 schools in the country to championship games on top of championship games and his leadership is unquestioned. I think that aspect of his game is what beat Crawford out, because personally I think Crawford IMHO is a better dribble drive dish player than Williams is

·
Premium Member
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that aspect of his game is what beat Crawford out, because personally I think Crawford IMHO is a better dribble drive dish player than Williams is
Actually, it's just the opposite. The one thing that Crawford does have on Williams is outside shooting. However, Crawford rarely takes the ball to the hole. Jay loves to drive and dish, and does an excellent job of drawing the defense to open up teammates. Crawford has also been criticized lately for not looking for his teammates and dribbling too much instead of running the offense.

Crawford did outplay Jay early in the preseason, but that changed after a few games. Toward the end of the preseason, Williams was improving and Crawford wasn't playing as well. Crawford got extra playing time toward the end of the preseason because Williams was hurt, and he played very poorly. I think that is what sealed the decision to start Williams.

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
I dont think you should ever "start" a rookie in any sport. That doesnt mean he shouldnt get more playing time then the vet. I think a star rooki needs to learn humility and not have the "pressure of it bieng thier fault when the team loses. Think Kobe in his 1st year. Got to come off the bench still score a lot of points without the pressure of leading a team to victory.

So I go with Crawford. It'll make Jay-Will better in the long run.

·
Premium Member
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by <b>Dragnsmke1</b>!
I dont think you should ever "start" a rookie in any sport. That doesnt mean he shouldnt get more playing time then the vet. I think a star rooki needs to learn humility and not have the "pressure of it bieng thier fault when the team loses. Think Kobe in his 1st year. Got to come off the bench still score a lot of points without the pressure of leading a team to victory.

So I go with Crawford. It'll make Jay-Will better in the long run.

Wait a minute! Pressure?? Jay's experienced TEN TIMES the pressure that Crawford has. Did Crawford win a national championship??? Was Crawford's everyone's preseason pick to be national player of the year?? Was Crawford the leader of a team that was supposed to win it all???

I know that is just college, but all Jamal has done in the NBA is sit the bench and occupy the injury list for the worst team in the NBA. He did start 6 games last year, but I don't think that's anywhere near the pressure Williams faced.

These guys are about the same age. They were the same year in college. And nobody questions the fact that Jay is more mature.

As far as your Kobe example, Kobe was straight out of high school! Williams was the best player in the nation for the best college basketball program in the nation. You can't really compare that to Kobe's situation.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
I agree Truth. I also think Jay should start, hes very mature for a rookie and his skill set is better than Crawfords. IMO Crawford is very overrated by Bulls fans.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Williams will never be a Cousy, Cheeks, Stockton point. but he could be a Tim Hardaway one, and that is damn good. Point takes the longest to learn, even with the experince of Duke. Other than injury, with patience, he should be the Bulls point for a long time, and probably soon the best player on the team. Now , he just has to play and learn. The Bulls are not going to win this year, just play the kid.

The Crawford I saw a few times.not everyday, was an embarrassment to all point guards. Clueless is setting up an offense or creating the rhythm of the defense. Looking for the exotic, not the fundamental. Athletic for sure, but that is almost meaningless at the point. He needed three more years of college and then apprenticeship in the NBA. If he can ever be a winning point , it is a long way off.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
right now

I would test out Crawford, because regardless Jay Williams will have trade value, and they will probably end up trading one. I like Crawford a lot , but I think that JAy Williams is and will be the better player.

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Originally posted by <b>The Truth</b>!

Actually, it's just the opposite. The one thing that Crawford does have on Williams is outside shooting. However, Crawford rarely takes the ball to the hole. Jay loves to drive and dish, and does an excellent job of drawing the defense to open up teammates. Crawford has also been criticized lately for not looking for his teammates and dribbling too much instead of running the offense.
I know that Crawford doesnt drive to the hole the way Williams does, but in all honesty Crawford's handle is light years ahead of Jay Williams' but Crawfords way more erratic and doesnt make the good decisions that Williams does

·
Premium Member
19,992 Posts
it shouldn't matter who starts

you have two decent young PG's who will both play. Maybe one day they can be a poor mans PRICE/KJ tandem. I think the flashier of the two will play more.

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Williams started and had a good all around game. He did miss five free throws and almost cost us the game. Crawford? Well, look at the box scores.

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
Think rationally for a second if they thought Crawford could do the job they wouldn't have drafted Williams, Crawford maybe a good player one day but there are other things to consider than just performance, Williams is a good kid, who does everything the staff and organization want him to do, plus I think Crawford's summer association with MJ hurt his standing a little seeming as Krause and MJ are enemies, I think that the Bulls are reluctant to move a player of Crawfords caliber for fear that he blows up somewhere else and they look bad if he shines better than Williams. Williams seems to do some other things like beng more of a natural point and hustling more and more intensity, his free throws are going to become an issue if he doesn't correct them.

Now personally I like Crawford better I just think he's a better talent at creating his shot and getting penetration he seems to have special ability that way, Williams doesn't seem as quick or creative with his offense, and just overall less talented.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I agree that it is totally ridiculous that A SINGLE PERSON thinks FOR WHATEVER REASON that Jamal Crawford should start over Jay Williams. TOTALLY RIDICULOUS. I can't believe how much it comes up. I mean, do Rockets fans think that Kelvin Cato is the answer at center for their team? Of course not.

The only reason why the Bulls were putting out all that misinformation about the so-called point guard battle between Williams and Crawford was to generate interest in Crawford and to increase his trade value. I mean, did you read the statement that Jerry Krause made the other day when he announced that the Bulls were picking up the options on the contracts of Crawford and Marcus Fizer? Something along the lines of, "Jamal Crawford is an excellent young player who would start for many other teams"? I mean, DUH! How much more obvious can you get?

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Yea, I agree Roby. The Bulls are just blatantly trying to up his trade value. What team would this kid start on, REALY? I mean maybe the cavs or the Nuggets, thats it folks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts