Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
raver, as much as you, i and everyone else would love to get this answer the truthful answer from Guyf and really any Iona fan, it won't happen, its why i don't check the Iona board very often, because its a facade for what happens on the real board.

If i were an Iona fan, i would be embarrased, go into hiding, admit a little wrong but say it wasn't against the rules originally, we found a loop hole, but we won't do it ever again, and hope no punishment.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
The way you to spew rumors and bad will toward Iona it is in very poor taste to ask a serious question about Iona. Innocent till proven guilty, wait to see if this turns out to be anything more then a web reporters article. If the NCAA says there is a violation then if you feel the need go at it but to take Iona to task for what has come out so far is wrong.

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
svi said:
raver, as much as you, i and everyone else would love to get this answer the truthful answer from Guyf and really any Iona fan, it won't happen, its why i don't check the Iona board very often, because its a facade for what happens on the real board.

If i were an Iona fan, i would be embarrased, go into hiding, admit a little wrong but say it wasn't against the rules originally, we found a loop hole, but we won't do it ever again, and hope no punishment.
What "truthful" answer are you looking for? The ONLY issue right now is whether Miller sent LACC players toward Iona in exchange for extra dollars that went to D1 Scheduling. The only one who can answer that is Miller. If you want "truth", write him a letter.

Oh, and don't be hypocritical. At least people know there is a private Iona board. How many people know about the private Manhattan board? You know, the one that Gonzo and his goons CAN'T shut down because they can't find it?

Lastly, there are some posters here on this board that are on the private Iona board--and I am NOT just talking about Iona fans. Why don't you ask them what we're talking about, rather than making yet another personal attack by saying we're dishonest.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
GuyF said:
How many people know about the private Manhattan board? You know, the one that Gonzo and his goons CAN'T shut down because they can't find it?
I think everyone knows about it. I had Beagle tell me about it. You know about it etc.

·
Registered
672 Posts
What Non Iona fans are on the board? Any Manhattan or Siena fans? I also never said you were dishonest, if thats what you took by my comment about a facade then maybe i used a bad choice of words, i just meant that its not being discussed and the more truthful details and your true feelings were being posted on the private board. When i say truthful im not saying that you guys know anything more than anyone else either. Just saying that its really not that hard to connect the dots.

in regards to the manhattan boards Gonzo can't shut down the main board if he wanted to, and please don't say im one of his followers because if you go back a couple years you will see ive been one of his biggest critics, however he did a remarkable job this year and deserves congrats for that and being named to the NCAA ethics committee

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
svi said:
What Non Iona fans are on the board? Any Manhattan or Siena fans? I also never said you were dishonest, if thats what you took by my comment about a facade then maybe i used a bad choice of words, i just meant that its not being discussed and the more truthful details and your true feelings were being posted on the private board. When i say truthful im not saying that you guys know anything more than anyone else either. Just saying that its really not that hard to connect the dots.

in regards to the manhattan boards Gonzo can't shut down the main board if he wanted to, and please don't say im one of his followers because if you go back a couple years you will see ive been one of his biggest critics, however he did a remarkable job this year and deserves congrats for that and being named to the NCAA ethics committee
You made repeated references to "the truth", as if we are holding back info out here. We don't know much more than anyone else; however, I do have the benefit of getting Iona's side of things from my sources. The short answer is that there are quite a few inaccuracies in Doyel's report--that's why I say that it all comes down to what is proven. And what I said above is true--the only one who knows if LACC sent players toward Iona for dollars to D1 Scheduling is Miller. Many are asking us for answers, but we don't have them. Oh, one more thing: you guys can read between the lines just from the posts on this board and figure out that the private board has had "even" discussions re this topic. You have already seen me differ in opinion on certain aspects with other Iona posters, such as St. Louis Gael and ICHoops.

There are currently 6 non-Iona fans on the private Iona board; there were I believe 8 or 9 at one time but those others lost interest and stopped visiting (I guess it's not as exciting there as some out here believe!). I did invite one Manhattan fan a little ways back but he declined. Right now he is the only Manhattan fan I would invite as he is objective about his own program and is one of the better all-around posters on the boards. And yes, there are actually 2 Siena fans on the board, and of all things a FORDHAM fan. Other schools represented include Rider, Loyola and Fairfield. The one common theme amongst them is that they are all objective.

Re your comment re Gonzo and the main board, it depends on who the moderator is. If the moderator is a good friend of Gonzo's and gets inside info or some form of "special treatment" from him, and Gonzo wants it shut down, it probably would get shut down--even though legally he cannot do such. Let's say this LACC crap happened to Manhattan, and many Manhattan posters on the public board were openly discussing the matter, and various posters put some blame on Gonzo, he would have a hissy fit and demand some sort of action. That's how Yank's Voy board got shut down.

Again, I was not being critical of Manhattan for having a private board. Obviously I support the idea, for a similar circumstance to the Manhattan example cited above. When the Iona Voy (public) board that I moderated was the only Iona board, Iona fans had nowhere else to be critical of the program. And you know what happened? Every time there was critical commentary, I got a call from Ruland or the then-punk***** SID. And if I was the one making the comment, boy did I hear about it.

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
I wanted to add that everyone here is more than welcome to join the Iona public board--and you are free to open up discussion on any topic you wish, as long as you do it in a respectful fashion. I am actually disappointed that more of you have not joined that board. NO ONE is banned from joining at this time, the board is moderated in a one-strike-and-you're-out fashion. The link to the board is: http://www.arborwood.com/awforums/show-toparea-1.php?fid=8106&taid=1. Please provide a legit email address when registering.

·
Registered
688 Posts
svi said:

To paraphrase Jack Nicholson (hope I have not butchered his name). Want both of you to listen up:

"YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!" :biggrin: :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GuyF said:
You made repeated references to "the truth", as if we are holding back info out here. We don't know much more than anyone else; however, I do have the benefit of getting Iona's side of things from my sources. The short answer is that there are quite a few inaccuracies in Doyel's report--that's why I say that it all comes down to what is proven. And what I said above is true--the only one who knows if LACC sent players toward Iona for dollars to D1 Scheduling is Miller. Many are asking us for answers, but we don't have them. Oh, one more thing: you guys can read between the lines just from the posts on this board and figure out that the private board has had "even" discussions re this topic. You have already seen me differ in opinion on certain aspects with other Iona posters, such as St. Louis Gael and ICHoops.

There are currently 6 non-Iona fans on the private Iona board; there were I believe 8 or 9 at one time but those others lost interest and stopped visiting (I guess it's not as exciting there as some out here believe!). I did invite one Manhattan fan a little ways back but he declined. Right now he is the only Manhattan fan I would invite as he is objective about his own program and is one of the better all-around posters on the boards. And yes, there are actually 2 Siena fans on the board, and of all things a FORDHAM fan. Other schools represented include Rider, Loyola and Fairfield. The one common theme amongst them is that they are all objective.

Re your comment re Gonzo and the main board, it depends on who the moderator is. If the moderator is a good friend of Gonzo's and gets inside info or some form of "special treatment" from him, and Gonzo wants it shut down, it probably would get shut down--even though legally he cannot do such. Let's say this LACC crap happened to Manhattan, and many Manhattan posters on the public board were openly discussing the matter, and various posters put some blame on Gonzo, he would have a hissy fit and demand some sort of action. That's how Yank's Voy board got shut down.

Again, I was not being critical of Manhattan for having a private board. Obviously I support the idea, for a similar circumstance to the Manhattan example cited above. When the Iona Voy (public) board that I moderated was the only Iona board, Iona fans had nowhere else to be critical of the program. And you know what happened? Every time there was critical commentary, I got a call from Ruland or the then-punk***** SID. And if I was the one making the comment, boy did I hear about it.
Dude, you never answered my question?

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
GuyF said:
Why don't you call Ruland and speak to him yourself? I'm sure he'd love to hear from you.
Better yet have him as a chat guest on the new 'public' IJC Board. I'll be happy to post several questions. If you recall, last time you had him on he ignored my questions and ran off the board as I was posting follow-ups.

·
Registered
58 Posts
RiderRaver said:
Guy, seriously, what is your take on the situation with Ruland? No bull****. Do you believe that there should be some sanctions and/or firing? What is the administration's take on this?

Thanks.

Well, I give a straight answer, as an Iona fan. I think the whole thing looks very, very suspicious.

I think the key piece of infomation that we need to know is how much D1 made off the Iona games it scheduled. If it is something justifiable like 10%, 15%, 20%, Iona might be OK, but if it is 70 or 80% as it was with some of the other schools, Iona will look guilty as sin, IMHO. The fact that Iona has, to this point, refused to release this vital information, makes me worry that D1's take might be suspiciously large.

Whether or not Iona is guilty, they might have a chance of coming out unscathed by NCAA sanctions, because the quid pro quo is a little fuzzy. The fact that Iona hasn't actually had an LACC player in a few years makes it harder to prove there was an exchange of favors, though according to the article, Iona would have had Simmons if he met eligibility requirements.

I think the statement by the Kentucky administrator, if true, looks very damning. Ruland seems to be arguing that Iona used D1, and took less money because it is the only way to get games against big time opponents (which is really the only reasonable explanation I could think of). But, if Kentucky really offered Iona a game directly, and Iona then insisted on brokering the game through D1, thereby taking home less money, Iona would look like an active player in this scheme, as opposed to a little school, being pushed around by the big guys.

If Iona really is found guilty by the NCAA in this case, wouldn't it be ironic if Ruland, who just made the NCAA's with a senior class of true student athletes, and has recruited a similar class for next year, gets fired for his past recruiting of all those "thugs", who contributed nothing either on or off the court? It would really be a shame, because he has grown as a coach, and seems to have, for the most part, learned his lesson about the importance of character in recruits.

A few thoughts on the D1 Scheduling scandal, in general

1) I have to wonder where the money D1 received ended up. Was any funneled to recruits, or kicked back to the any of the coaches or adminstrators involved? I would really like to see the money trail followed to its end.

2) I have to wonder if criminal charges might come out of this case, particulary with the coaches and adminstrators at the state schools involved. This could be seen as misappropriating state funds, for the purpose of bribery.

3) A couple of years ago, the younger brother of a friend of mine, who was a small town police officer, down south, was convicted of making pipe bombs, and then pretending to find them on the side of the highway, so he would look like a "hero".

The prosecutor in the case said the the defendant displayed a certain level of criminal cunning to pull off the crime, but not enough to get away with it.

I think that description fits those involved in this scandal perfectly. In one sense, it looks like a very clever scheme to funnel money to a JUCO in exchange for players. But, when you really think about it, is was idiotic, because they had to eventually get caught. If they were really smart, Miller would have set up a business that had nothing to do with hoops, and have the schools funnel the money there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.