Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
k this is an honest question. What made the heat so bad. I mean, besides zo prob, the rest of the team also fell apart. Is it bad management or what? I mean whats the problem?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Nothing made the Heat so bad. We were perennial Eastern Conference contenders every year under the Riley and Zo era posting above a .600 win percentage for those six years. Then, unfortunately, Alonzo Mourning got sick. It was an unforeseen and improbable event that would have rattled any franchise.

He was our franchise center that we built the entire team around. Some say that Riley was stupid to shell out Max contracts to Eddie Jones and Brian Grant two summers ago. But, they are ideal complimentary players that would have worked outstandingly well alongside of Alonzo Mourning in his prime.

Therefore, if Alonzo had never gotten sick that summer, I firmly believe that Riley would have been GM of the year the following May and the Heat would have reached the finals in one of the subsequent three years.

So to answer your question, it was just pure bad luck. The Heat are a good team with above average talent at the majority of positions. Yet, this season, they will have to redefine themselves away from Zo and the low post game.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if you were the heat gm would you simply give up and dissolve the team to save money or try to trade away all the players for nothing and start new. Which would be the best answer?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Originally posted by <b>T-ro</b>!
if you were the heat gm would you simply give up and dissolve the team to save money or try to trade away all the players for nothing and start new. Which would be the best answer?
Good question....

If I was the GM, I would keep the present core of players in place: Grant, Jones, Butler and Best. Then use available Cap Space next summer, from Zo coming off the books, to sign the Kandi Man to right below the MAX. And use any remainder money to solidify the bench.

I believe that with that rotation the Heat could be competitive in the Eastern Conference. Certainly, not title contenders. But, competitive nonetheless until Grant and Jones come off the books.

The reason that I would do this is that I believe that the Heat will never acquire anything of equal value in a trade for Jones and Grant. And since we already have enough next summer to sign one more player to the MAX, I would like to keep these very good complimentary players in place and continue to win. Remember that Riley will not tolerate losing as much as other coaches or GMs will. So, the Heat will have to stay competitive for him to stay.

Caveat: If, by the trading deadline, this current roster of Butler, Best, Grant and Jones fails to achieve attainable benchmarks then I may be more inclined to start blowing up the team for additional Cap Space. But, not until the trading deadline.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
but jones already in going down hill and even if he did play at the level he did last season, he would still not be good enough.

·
Registered
180 Posts
but jones already in going down hill and even if he did play at the level he did last season, he would still not be good enough.
Why is Jones going down hill?

Side note: I believe that Jones will play at a higher level than he did last season. Read the New Brian Grant post.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cuz of his age, (read about it in the main forum on this site) also b grant has been a highlight due to the fact that he is an above average player on a waayyy below average team. If hes the best player then there is a problem.

·
Registered
180 Posts
cuz of his age, (read about it in the main forum on this site) also b grant has been a highlight due to the fact that he is an above average player on a waayyy below average team. If hes the best player then there is a problem.
So you are saying that a SG that averaged 18 pts per game last season is going down hill. And that this is due to the fact that he 31 yrs old. Interesting...

Seems to me that he played well enough for the Heat. But, unfortunately had to carry us to much last season. Now with Best and Caron also commanding defensive attention, the game for EJ opens up much more.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Yes i agree i think eddie's number will increase this season .

And 31 isn't that old look at guys like payton -i think he played better then ever before last season

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
payton is an exception, u have to admit that. and caron is an unproven rookie, there is a reason for the drop. as far as best, he as a backup to a rookie. best was on the pacers there was a reason he was traded. he shoots too much passes too little and doesnt help out. his presence hurt the team, in a similar fashion it will hurt the heat. if u think a rook and an unproven vet will make the heat a great team, think again.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I don't mean that .

I'm not sure if best is that good and i didn't say that caron will play like an all-star.

But i think after zo's absence with this team we can make the play offs if everyone knows his role.

Maybe as 7th or 8 th seaded.

I think that is possible without zo

·
Registered
180 Posts
payton is an exception, u have to admit that. and caron is an unproven rookie, there is a reason for the drop. as far as best, he as a backup to a rookie. best was on the pacers there was a reason he was traded. he shoots too much passes too little and doesnt help out. his presence hurt the team, in a similar fashion it will hurt the heat. if u think a rook and an unproven vet will make the heat a great team, think again.
I don't think that we are comparing anyone to Payton. We are just demonstrating that age is irrelevant in the NBA. Today, the core of top players are young. Yet, this goes in cycles and to zero in on this fact fails to recognize the player and the game and instead looks at a silly fact.

As for Best: having a shoot first point guard is exactly what this team needs. In the up tempo game he will command defensive respect which prevent teams from zeroing in on any one player. Additionally, Best is quick and an outstanding defender.

As for Caron: he may be an unporven rookie. But, if you do not believe that he will be instant impact this season than you obviously have not watch his game the last two seasons at UCONN.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Yeah i think Caron will have a good season.

By the fact that zo isn't there and we need caron to help eddie
he will not need a lot of time too develop.

Caron has a strong character so he can make an impact and he will fight for ROTY

·
Registered
180 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Dave-C.</b>!
Yeah i think Caron will have a good season.

By the fact that zo isn't there and we need caron to help eddie
he will not need a lot of time too develop.

Caron has a strong character so he can make an impact and he will fight for ROTY
I agree. Caron and Jay Williams will compete well for ROY.

T-Ro: Caron's drop in the the draft was due to rumors and speculation made up by other sports agents. This story was broken months ago. Every single person I have heard has compared his drop to that of Pierce falling to the 10th spot and given the Heat an A grade for the draft.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Exactly even barkley and espn's aldridge had said if they would choose a US national team for the Championships (with hungry players no kobe or A.I.)they had putten caron in besides jay will.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Dave-C.</b>!
Exactly even barkley and espn's aldridge had said if they would choose a US national team for the Championships (with hungry players no kobe or A.I.)they had putten caron in besides jay will.
I heard that same thing. It is amazing that the Heat drafted him. Anyone knowledgeable about his game knows that we got the steal of the draft.

There was a ESPN "The Life" episode where all the young Clippers players were sitting around watching the draft and they were genuinely shocked that he dropped to the 10th spot.

D Miles was even screaming at the tv screen for the Clippers to draft him.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
did u guys also read that caorn butler was the most nba ready player in the draft.
he is bound to make an immediate impact especially since he is coming in a team were he already has a high role and fans have high expectations.
he will either fold like kwame did or be phenom like pierce.
i firmly believe its option 2.

this is a rebuilding year for miami, a year where caron will learn how to play alongside Jones without competing for shots, and where both define their positions.

travis best, in my opinion is a temporary solution as a pg. if he does good this year, then he will be resigned because i doubt we eill be getting an caliber point because our main concern is rhe center position.

we might get a young point guard or probably be lucky enough to draft a god one, then best would be his mentor and woulod start until the young kid is ready to take over.

brian grant will play at center and become our only main big man, so his number will most probably go up as he is now setting a role for himself and not getting into a system which might not be compatible with his style of play like the nba rule changes last year making the pf spot less physical and being second to Zo.

we need to give rasual butler, house, recker, and marks considerable minutes and see where their potential could go.

if we do good, we might attract duncan for the max which we could afford, and then we might have a straight shot at the title, a comeback as beautiful as the nest last year.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
attract duncan for the max? honestly u have to admit that even for the heat fanatics u are, thats a lil overboard even riley says ur rebuilding

·
Registered
180 Posts
attract duncan for the max? honestly u have to admit that even for the heat fanatics u are, thats a lil overboard even riley says ur rebuilding
I agree that Duncan is a long shot. More likely is Kandi or Miller.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Curious about something:

You say that we are rebuilding, and therefore, cannot attract Duncan for the Max next summer.

This statement makes no sense. Can you please elaborate on what you meant.

;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts