Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am usually pretty slow to judge how classy a team (or an individual player) is due to the fact that I know that being in an emotional game sometimes causes you to do things that are out of character. In other words, you may say something you later regret, you may get a little over emotional, you may say something to a heckling fan (like the Klotche Krazies :)), etc. However, after two games with GB, I am still scratching my head regarding two fairly major plays IMO..........and was wondering if anyone else noticed them - both of them were by veteran players. Many people say that a team takes on the character of its coach............I do not know enough about Tod Kowalczyk, not have I seen him coach enough to make an accurate statement as to his character, but these plays in particular make you wonder. If one happens maybe, but if something happens again in the second game it makes you wonder.

The plays that I am referring to are:

1. At the end of the GB game in GB, UWM is up handily and is running out the final seconds of the game by dribbling around. They could have easily attacked and tried to score again, but they chose to simply dribble the ball out - Brandon Morris (a Junior) tried to be sneak up behind Hill who was dribbling and steal the ball when he was not looking - he ended up knocking the ball out of bounds and UWM kept is anyways. I am all about playing the game till the end, but with less than 10 seconds left and down by over 10, give it up! That is a classless play when the other team has already decided not to shoot the ball. I can see (MAYBE) if he needed that steal to get a triple double or something, but this attempted steal ment nothing. If I was playing, I would not forget that play - that is just something that you don't do.

2. At the end of the GB game in Milwaukee. Again, UWM is up and the game is over........there are about 10 seconds left and this time UWM decides not to hold it and pull it out. Joah Tucker has a break away (free lane to the basket) and it going to dunk it. Kevin Hughes (a senior) tries to run him down and basically tackles him and gets an intentional foul (his fifth). IMO this is even worse than GB's first offense at home. THE GAME IS OVER! First of all, Hughes has NO shot at getting close to the ball, and why is he fouling anyways? Besides the fact that he fouled him, it was a poor, intentional foul. If he wanted to keep him from dunking, he should have just wraped him up instead of laying into him, which very easily could have hurt Tucker. Since Tucker did not get hurt, this play got overlooked by many, but if he would have gotten hurt, it would have been a BIG deal, trust me. Again, this is something that the players WILL NOT forget.

IMO both of these plays were classless and simply not necessary. What do the rest of you think?

·
Registered
472 Posts
For the first one, I didn't even notice that Morris tried to steal the ball at the end. He should have pulled back and allowed it to go, if he had done that.

For the second one, don't judge me too hard for saying this, but I think Tucker had it coming. I agree that Hughes shouldn't have fouled as hard as he did, but Tucker shouldn't have gone for the dunk. There was 10 seconds left. He could have stolen it, gone over to the other side and let the clock run out. However, he decided to go for the dunk. That shouldn't have been done either, in my opinion. Was Tucker going for the dunk any worse than Hughes stopping him from taking it?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If Morris wouldn't have tried to steal the ball in the first game at the end (when UWM was being classy and running the clock out), I guarantee that Tucker would not have tried to dunk it and he would have just dribbled the clock out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts