Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Welcome to the Grindhouse!
19,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a lurker on your MB a lot because you guys have good discussion here. However, I do have a question...what FA are you guys thinking is going to be available and willing to come to Portland in 2005 that has you guys trying to hoarde cap space like gold? I know you can't really think Tracy McGrady is relocating from his hometown in sunny Orlando to come to Portland to rebuild.

So if not T Mac, who out there is going to be worth sacrificing two seasons to get?

·
Registered
460 Posts
I Asked This Before

Even provided a list. I all heard was the sound of heads being buried in the sand and crickets chirping.

The '05 crop of FA's is weak, IMO. Other than McGrady, I don't see anyone to build around on that list.

Go Blazers

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
to be honest, I'm not that enthusiastic about rebuilding via free agency. you add nice complimentary pieces with cap space, not franchise-altering superstars.

just look at Denver. tons of room, some young promising talent in Carmelo and Nene, and the best they could get is Andre Miller. Miller is nice, but he's not even as good as Nick Van Exel, whom they could've simply held onto a few years ago. (of course, then they might not have tanked as badly and drafted as well....)

if Portland is going to make some noise in the upcoming few years, they HAVE to get real value for Rasheed (or re-sign him, which seems doubtful now), Zach needs to improve his defense, and at least one of Miles/Woods/Outlaw needs to rise up to All-Star level.

acquiring McGrady in 2005 is a nice dream to have, but the odd of that happening are much more remote than the goals I just listed.

·
Retired From The Beat
2,454 Posts
Who said it has to be 2005? Hold onto the space and get something more valuable.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I agree with The Wanker, teams trying to rebuild through free agency have a poor track record; with the exception of players wanting to leave horrible situations (Andre Miller), players wanting to hop on board a championship contender (Brad Miller, Karl Malone, Gary Payton), and players whose development is being stunted (Tracy McGrady when he left Toronto).

Chris Webber stayed in Sacramento even though he said he'd leave.

Tim Duncan stayed in San Antone, even though T-Mac was going to Orlando and practically begging him to come, too.

I don't know who the available free agents are in '05, but I don't see a lot of hope in building a champion that way. Trades and smart draft picks are the way to go, and so far, at least Nash hasn't screwed up much, but let's see how he drafts in '04 (with what could be two lottery picks).

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
Originally posted by <b>MemphisX</b>!
So if not T Mac, who out there is going to be worth sacrificing two seasons to get?
IMO, 2005 is too far away to hone in on exactly who Portland might be going after. Things happen, situations change, sometimes bridges are burned forcing change (Bonzi). Guys come out of the woodwork who few would have considered a max type player before (Arenas). If Nash juggles things so that Portland does have a ton of caproom in 2005, as NateBishop points out, there is no onus to use it all right away. Denver didn't use all their space this offseason, yet they seem to be reloading well. It depends on what is available, and shopping wisely...

STOMP

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Originally posted by <b>STOMP</b>!
Denver didn't use all their space this offseason, yet they seem to be reloading well. It depends on what is available, and shopping wisely...
And how did Denver rebuild? A great trade with NY (Camby and Nene), good use of MLE-level money (Barry and Boykins), 2 fantastic minimum salary contract signings (Anderson and Lenard), a #2 pick (Anthony) and lucking out that the Clippers didn't match a RFA offer (Miller).

Other than the last two, all of the other moves could be made by a team over the cap. And we both know that getting under the cap does nothing to guarantee a draft pick the quality of Anthony. And cap space in Denver's case only got them Miller because it was a Clipper RFA and not another team's RFA.

I've made my feelings known here about what I consider to be the risk of trying to enter free agent roulette at all costs. Releasing Wallace, Miles, Stoudamire and Davis just to get the cap space. All just to get who? Shareef Abdur-Rahim? A player that reportedly could be had in a trade for Sheed?

Yes, T-Mac could opt out. Yes, another Gilbert Arenas could become available. And it's also possible that every high profile FA in 2005 re-signs with their original team - like they normally do (Kidd, Duncan, Webber, O'Neal, etc.)

I agree that shooting to rebuild through the FA market is a legitimate strategy. However, I'd rather let another team try to corral the "FA that might be available in a couple of years". I'd rather trade Davis and Stoudamire next year to a team looking to enter the free agent roulette - get a couple of quality players with reasonable contracts and maybe a draft pick or two. Rebuild on the fly instead of cutting salary at all costs.

In other words - do what Denver has done (minus the Miller and Anthony acquisitions, of course). Use exceptions wisely. Make smart trades. And when you get good draft picks, make good picks. Add these pieces to the core of Randolph, Woods, Miles, Outlaw, etc. (a far better core than Denver had 2 years ago to add to).

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
MemphisX, I am right with you, rebuilding through FA doesn't work. It hasn't really helped many teams... almost ever one moves in a sign and trade.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts