Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I just got off the phone with Jason Quick, who confirmed he is investigating a trade rumor involving the Blazers and Warriors.

Quick reported on Sports Radio 910 The Fan last night the pricipal players involved could be Rasheed Wallace, Nick Van Exel and Erick Dampier.

He'll have more on this rumor today at 1pm when he chats live with us.
If you have a question about this trade or anything else related to the Blazers, send it here and we'll ask it for you.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
speaking of jason, is he ever going to answer our questions we had asked in the sticky for Jan?

It's almost feb..

Im going to ask him what he thinks about Mike Rice saying he hardly ever is at practice, and is a twerp...

·
Basketballboards.net HOF
795 Posts
The Blazers need to keep Rasheed.

I think that the Blazers are just now starting to gel and play well again.

Making a trade now will disrupt everything.

Dampier is a great player, but he needs to stay wil the Warriors.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Originally posted by <b>So Cal Blazer Fan</b>!
BIG NEWS FROM THE QUICK CHAT!

Hap was told to go away.....
so was Schilly..but at least mine was because KG thought I was trying to make trouble, when I was just wondering if JQ had an opinion on it.

all is good between me and KG..

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
OK, I missed about 7 minutes of the middle part of the chat, but here are the highlights that I heard:

1) Quick talked with Nash today. Nash wouldn't comment on the GS trade rumor. Nash doesn't like any NBDL or ABA players to fill the 12th spot. The Blazers might fill the spot with a PG picked up in a trade.

2) Nash thinks Woods can handle the backup PG position. Quick disagrees and thinks Cheeks disagrees.

3) Quick thinks the GS trade would be great - fills a need at PG and C.

4) An e-mail points out that the Blazers need to play .700 ball to reach 46 wins, which the e-mailer predicts will be the # needed to make the playoffs.

5) Van Exel is a good PG and leader according to Quick. Dampier will be "the Comeback Player of the Year". [NOTE - I didn't know that they still presented this award]

6) Damon getting torched on defense recently (Dixon, Claxton).

7) Is Nash in Atlanta to scout and consider a possible ATL trade for Abdur-Rahim? Nash is on his way to Chicago to scout some college games, so he won't see the game live tonight. Jason specifically said that the Blazers are not high on Jason Terry (whom he assumes will be the "filler" in this trade idea).

8) Someone actually sends in this e-mail (paraphrased): Since we all know that the trades that actually happen are the ones that never get discussed, please share with us a trade rumor that no-one has brought up that you think will actually happen.

:rolleyes:

The response, of course, is that GM's aren't going to share everything with the media, so all we can do is speculate on what's "really going to happen."

------------------
At this point, my computer froze up and I had to restart. By the time I restarted, answered a phone call and got hooked back into the chat, about 7 minutes had passed. Here's the rest of what I heard.
------------------

9) Nash's long-term plan is to save money. The team wants the payroll to be $49-53 million next year and in the mid-$30's in July of 2005 (with room to go after what Quick called "big name free agents")

10) Quick talked to Bonzi and he seems really happy in Memphis. Quick says that he has better role models than Sheed there.

11) Charlotte is interested in an experienced PG and youth at every other position. They've taken a liking to Damon and might select him in the expansion draft.

12) The team is scouting worldwide for players - Nash will stay in the States until the trading deadline has passed, then will do some scouting overseas himself.

13) The DD issue with being snowed in was not handled well by the Blazers in Quick's opinion. He sees the team perspective, but thinks they over-reacted. DD is popular and fining him hurts team morale.

14) [Answering my question] Zach's drug test results will not be made public until after the procedings are completely finished. No date for a hearing has been set. [NOTE - this after Quick said several times in December that the results would be available in early January. Perhaps the team mis-led him to believe this, perhaps he simply assumed it would be so.]

At this point, Hap noticed that someone in the chat room used "your Mama" [NOTE - it was actually tu mama] and remarked that this was the first time that the phrase had been used since 1997. I lost all interest in what Jason was talking about in preference to this momentous incident. So, he talked for about 3 more minutes, but I have no idea what he said.

---------------------

MY COMMENTS

a) Does Jason seriously believe that Charlotte will use 1/2 of their salary cap on one player? And that Damon will be that one player?

b) I tried to ask Jason who these "big time free agents" (as he called them) will be in 2005 that the Blazers can use their cap space on. Kevin never asked him the question. I'll try again at a future occasion.

c) Jason does get my "Master of the Obvious" award for admitting that Stoudamire has been torched recently on defense.

d) I don't understand why some of these ridiculous questions actually get asked (see #8).

e) Of course Jason thinks the GS trade would be a good one. Remember, this is the same man that said point blank that ANY trade for Rasheed would be a good one. At least he's consistent on this point....

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Hap</b>!

so was Schilly..but at least mine was because KG thought I was trying to make trouble, when I was just wondering if JQ had an opinion on it.

all is good between me and KG..
KG....KG....KG....KG....

Oh, KC.....;)

BTW, I thought your question was very relevant. If Rice really used Quick's name in his "accusation", then asking Jason for a response is completely appropriate.

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
A crazy thought

Here's my crazy thought of the day: Might Jason actually be trying to help the Blazers in regards to Damon?

Many of us have noticed how much Jason seems to bend over backwards to defend Damon. But could it be that he is only supporting Damon in order to try to (so far unsuccessfully) raise his trade value? Trying to get some GM to look past his performance and believe that "maybe he'd play much better in a different scenario - it's just a bad situation in Portland."

Nahhhhh....that's too farfetched even for Oliver Stone to believe...

Go back to what you were doing.....

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Re: not understanding expansion

Originally posted by <b>bfan1</b>!

OK-help me here.

On the expansion draft...they can just snatch up any player they want? What are the rules?
In a nutshell, there will be an expansion draft before the rookie draft in June. Each team can protect up to 8 players (including RFA's). UFA's cannot be be drafted.

Charlotte must take at least 14 players, but no more than 29. And they can only choose one player from each team.

Charlotte can cut any player that they take in the expansion draft before the start of the 2004-05 season and that player's salary will not count against their cap (although Charlotte still has to pay any guaranteed salary due to the player). Oh, and Charlotte's salary cap is 2/3 that of every other team, so it will be somewhere in the neighborhood of $30 million.

Charlotte also gets the #4 pick in the rookie draft.

Finally, if Charlotte selects a RFA (such as Darius Miles) they don't actually get that player. Any unprotected RFA that they select automatically becomes an UFA.

Those are the basic rules.

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
MY COMMENTS

a) Does Jason seriously believe that Charlotte will use 1/2 of their salary cap on one player? And that Damon will be that one player?

b) I tried to ask Jason who these "big time free agents" (as he called them) will be in 2005 that the Blazers can use their cap space on. Kevin never asked him the question. I'll try again at a future occasion.

c) Jason does get my "Master of the Obvious" award for admitting that Stoudamire has been torched recently on defense.

d) I don't understand why some of these ridiculous questions actually get asked (see #8).

e) Of course Jason thinks the GS trade would be a good one. Remember, this is the same man that said point blank that ANY trade for Rasheed would be a good one. At least he's consistent on this point....
I forgot

f) Does anyone else notice the contradiction in Quick saying that the team ABSOLUTELY wants to get into the FA race in 2005 and that he thinks they are considering a swap of Sheed for Van Exel/Dampier? Van Exel has a team option in 2005, but with Dampier's deal on the books, the Blazers could only offer a FA just a tad bit more than the MLE. That could return a very solid FA, but probably not any of these "big name free agents" that are supposedly going to be available.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
thanks for all your effort, SCBF. because of you, I get what scant information is to be had from these Quick Chats, without that annoying "I feel soiled and am in need of a shower" aftertaste.

mucho props.

·
Registered
285 Posts
11) Charlotte is interested in an experienced PG and youth at every other position. They've taken a liking to Damon and might select him in the expansion draft.
Would be great if Charlotte take Stoudamire off of our hands. I would even consider giving them a future 1st pick, that is if getting rid of Stoudamire get us enough under the cap to sign Okur for more than the MLE.

Like you, I don't see Charlotte taking Stoudamire.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Golden State/Chicago/PDX 3 Way

The rumor is...

Travis Outlaw to Chicago
Rasheed Wallace to GS

Antonio Davis to GS
Jamal Crawford to Portland
2004 1st Round Pick to Portland

Jason Richardson to Chicago
Erick Dampier to Chicago
Nick Van Exel to Portland

Jamal and Nick? Screw it we would get Chicagos 1st rounder so i would go for this trade

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.