Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well just like last offseason, things are starting slow. We are being mentioned with any of the really top free agents yet but that doesn't mean a whole lot. DD has done a nice job of going big close to training camp. Anyone have any thoughts on what players we should go after? Since I doubt Johnny Damon wants to be a Tiger, how about Matt Morris? He would be a nice upgrade over Jason Johnson in the rotation. What are peoples feelings about Nomar on a one year deal? I know he is a bit of injury prone lately, but so is Guillen it seems. If they were both healthy then we could play Guillen at 3B and get Inge back to his rover postion. I doubt we get Nomar but it's worth a mention. If we can't get Morris I would look into Kevin Millwood because it would be nice to steal him from Cleveland.

Anyone think Kyle Farnsworth might be a choice to be our closer?

·
Restore the Roar
7,393 Posts
A couple of notes...

a. Kyle Farnsworth hated it in Detroit, there was a reason we traded him, and Fernando Rodney wasn't at the heart of it. He apparently had a bad attitude in the locker room, and it showed up in Atlanta as well from what I read.

b. Brandon Inge is likely to be our catcher next season, as disgusting as that sounds. He's got a hell of an arm, and he can call a game pretty well... but it'd be a downgrade from Pudge. I'd love to see him in a Figgins-like rover role again, but it looks like I-Rod is on his way out. Reports I've read on ESPN.com, Yahoo!Sports, and CNNSI have it that he led the Latino-tankjob over the last month of the season, and had been disgruntled ever since Triple-U was traded for Polanco (they were close friends). He wants out.

c. I would not pay Nomar. On many other teams, okay... sure. But with Carlos Guillen averaging 120 or so a year, we'd be out half of an infield for 40 games a season if they both did their usual thing. I'd rather sign someone reliable to play 3rd and keep Guillen at Short.

d. Matt Morris wouldn't be bad, as long as we don't go after AJ Burnett, he's a complete prima-donna... just like most of the Marlins youngsters not named Dontrelle.

-Chris.

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ChrisWoj said:
A couple of notes...

a. Kyle Farnsworth hated it in Detroit, there was a reason we traded him, and Fernando Rodney wasn't at the heart of it. He apparently had a bad attitude in the locker room, and it showed up in Atlanta as well from what I read.

b. Brandon Inge is likely to be our catcher next season, as disgusting as that sounds. He's got a hell of an arm, and he can call a game pretty well... but it'd be a downgrade from Pudge. I'd love to see him in a Figgins-like rover role again, but it looks like I-Rod is on his way out. Reports I've read on ESPN.com, Yahoo!Sports, and CNNSI have it that he led the Latino-tankjob over the last month of the season, and had been disgruntled ever since Triple-U was traded for Polanco (they were close friends). He wants out.

c. I would not pay Nomar. On many other teams, okay... sure. But with Carlos Guillen averaging 120 or so a year, we'd be out half of an infield for 40 games a season if they both did their usual thing. I'd rather sign someone reliable to play 3rd and keep Guillen at Short.

d. Matt Morris wouldn't be bad, as long as we don't go after AJ Burnett, he's a complete prima-donna... just like most of the Marlins youngsters not named Dontrelle.

-Chris.
A) I like how Farnsworth pitches but if he is a locker room problem then I understand. I thought we traded him because we didn't want him to walk away at the end of the season and at the time we couldn't give him the closer role for sure?

B) Pudge is an interesting twist this offseason. I don't know what his market value really is if we try to trade him. With UUU being in jail, who knows how Pudge feels now. I would prefer Inge to be a catcher if we have to start him, it is his best fielding postion by far.

C) I only mentioned Nomar since the market at 3rd isn't deep unless you like Joe Randa to come back :biggrin: I don't expect us to sign Nomar nor him to want to be in Detroit.

D) Morris is my favorite SP in this years class and I think he would fit with the Tigers well. Odds are though we just help him drive up his contract value from another team.

·
Restore the Roar
7,393 Posts
I love Joe Randa... if only for the memories his presence on the Reds at the start of this season gave me and some friends.

A friend of mine spent the entire week before our Fantasy Draft hyping up his eminent selection of Joe Randa with the #1 pick in the draft. This friend is, of course, a huge Cincy fan. He ended up duping us all and drafted A-Rod with the #1 pick (okay, we weren't too fooled, ha)... but then Randa went on to start jacking homers left and right for the first week and he openly yelled down the dorm halls every single time... it was hilarious.

If only because I could goad him that I want him #1 in the draft this year (well, actually, since I won the league I pick last... ick), I want him on the Tygs :D lol

-Chris.

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LoL let's get him back then

1 - 5 of 5 Posts