Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here’s a few players I think have been quietly doing well, but have not been receiving much credit. These are not suggestions for Most Improved player, just guys that deserve a bit of recognition. Please feel free to add others.

Samuel Dalembert 7PPG 6.4 RPG

Didn’t play a minute last year, but has had to start 23 games this season due to injuries to Derrick Coleman. Has certainly risen to the occasion. He is 14th in the league in blocks per game, and 8th in blocks per 48 minutes. This guy is turning out to be a more than useful backup.

Tayshaun Prince 10.3PPG 5.1 RPG

Tayshaun has carried on where he left off in last year’s playoffs, moving up to a steady 10ppg, along with pretty good numbers in rebounds steals and blocks. He is shooting 46% from the field, which is not bad for a perimeter guy. He has shown a big jump from his rookie numbers, and fits well in Detroit team as he is not needed to be a big scorer (Rip & Billups) nor a the main stopper (Wallace).

Greg Ostertag 8.2 PPG 8.5 RPG

The much maligned Utah center is quietly having a career year, beating previous bests of 7.3ppg and 7.3rpg. He is also recording over 2 blocks per game and is on target to double his record for assists in a season, as well as being 4th in the league in offensive rebounding. He has settled well into a leadership role with the Jazz, and deserves a bit more respect for his performances this year.

Jake Voskuhl 7.1 PPG 5.3 RPG

“Little Jake” has started at center for Phoenix more than any other player this year, and is recording career bests all over the place. 7ppg at 53% FG% is fairly reasonable in 25 minutes, even though his rebounding could be improved.

Slava Medvedenko 10.7 PPG 5.5 RPG

Slava has made the most of his increased playing time this season by finally realising the potential he has shown in the past. He is fast becoming a legit 6th man, and is a useful guy to have behind Shaq. He is shooting a career best FG% despite more than doubling his minutes.

Bobby Simmons 6.8 PPG 4.3 RPG

Currently injured, Bobby Simmons is nevertheless enjoying his best year in the league to date. Despite shooting a poor percentage, he has been a useful spark oof the bench for the Clips this season, contributing a very useful 7ppg.

Fred Hoiberg 7.6PPG

After managing only 2.3ppg with the Bulls last year, Hoiberg has reasserted himself as an essential part of the Twolves bench. He is 16th in the league in 3PT% at over 41%. Although he has put up bigger numbers in the past, he is more productive than ever this season as he is only playing 25 minutes per game. Has been a great clutch shooter in the 4th quarter.

Mark Blount 8.6 PPG 5.5 RPG

In his 4th season, Blount is having by far his best. In only 27 mins per game, he is proving to be a consistent scorer whilst also adding 1.3 blocks and reasonable rebounding. He beat out Battie and Lafrentz to earn the starting slot, and has recorded career highs in nearly every category this season.

Jiri Welsch 9 PPG 3.4 RPG 1.4 SPG

Jiri had to go on this list. Much fancied by both the Celtics and the Mavs, Welsch beat out Jumaine Jones and Kedrick Brown to the starting SF slot, and has been edging his scoring average higher and higher all season. He may even finish in double figures. He is 2nd in the league in 3PT% and is 19th in steals per 48 minutes, and 18th in steals per turnover. Unfortunately he has not been able to help the Celtics to a winning record.

Rafer Alston 9.2 PPG 3.3 APG

Another player who may record double figures in scoring for the first time, “Skip” has made the most of team injuries to start 21 times for the Heat, putting up career numbers in the process. Doubts about his streetball style are becoming rarer as he proves he can play the point in the NBA.

Etan Thomas 7.6 PPG 6.5 RPG

Had never started an NBA game before this season, but has shown he can compete with other big men by putting up solid numbers. His FG% has suffered with increased minutes, and he is now losing PT with Stack and Arenas now fit, but deserves a mention nevertheless.

Calbert Cheaney 8.5PPG 3.7RPG

By no means having a career year, but deserves a mention for his consistently good performances. Has one of the most reliable mid range jumpers in the game (for a guard) shooting 49% from the field (1st amongst guards). Is a key scorer off the bench for the Warriors, and brings a veteran’s experience to a young team.

Dan Gadzuric 6.6 PPG 5.6 RPG 52% FG

Gadzo has increased his productivity without dramatically increasing his minutes. In just 3 minutes less per game last year, he recorded only 3.4 ppg – roughly half what he is now managing off the bench. He is 4th in blocks per 48 minutes, and 15th in the LEAGUE in efficiency per 48 minutes. Give this guy some more respect, he is a very effective contributor on a highly surprising team.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
Dalembert is very solid and needs to get more pub, he can become a very good center.

·
Registered
7,213 Posts
dalembert is an absolute monster. the fact that this is only his second season shows that he has tons of potential, i see no reason why he cant be top 5 in the league in blocks and top 5 in rebounds.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Uh, how about Carlos Arroyo?

13.2ppg 5.2apg

undrafted, 2 career starts b4 this year, played in Spain 2 years ago.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Nice post. Dalembert is really coming into his own this year. He just had a game of something like 16-10-6 blocks.

I think Gadzuric and Tayshaun have the chance to be very good players in this league. Dan is really athletic for his size, and Tayshaun is really clutch for such a young player.

Bobby Simmons kind of reminds me of former Clipp, Wizard Tyrone Nesby. I think he's kind of underrated.

·
Registered
729 Posts
How about Frank Williams? He was having a greaet season until Marbury came in and Burried im on the bench, but now that Houston is out they even move Marbury to Sg sometimes so that Williams can get some pt.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Prince is my favorite of those you listed. His 10/5/3 doesnt really show what he does on the court fully. Hes so long, so quick, so versatile that he can match up with elite perimeter players and be long enough to bother their shot and still play off them enough to be ready for the drive. He can knock down the three, take the ball to the hole, make the right pass, etc. He does a little bit of everything.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Nice list, they all deserve more attention. I'm glad you mentioned Mark Blount because of the couple Celtics games I've seen I have been really impressed with him. If he opts out of his player option and becomes an unrestricted free agent I hope the Raptors pick him up in the offseason. I think he would be the perfect fit for our team in the middle as far as skills and attitude.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Tayshaun Prince has been one of my favorite players since he came into the league. I was telling my friends all year last year how bad he needed to play and how he was awesome and they just laughed at me, that is of course until the playoffs.

In addition to the things John said, he plays great D and is one of the best fast break shot blockers in the league.

On offense he does all the things a good small forward does, but then also can bring the ball up the floor and can run the point. He played point guard a lot in summer league this year and a lot of times if Detroit is struggling to get something going they'll give the ball to Tayshaun so both Rip and Chauncey can run off screans.

The one thing he needs to get better at is asserting himself. With Tayshaun almost like he really doesn't realize how talented he is. He only shoots the ball 9 times a game which, in comparison, is the same as Ben Wallace.

He's shown flashes of the aggresiveness he needs to have, but he still defers to Chauncey and Rip way too much. When Tayshaun takes 14 or more shots, he is averaging 20 ppg. If he starts to get agressive on a consistant basis he can be a great player in this league.

·
Registered
9,855 Posts
Good list Jazzman. :)

Here's another...

Antonio Daniels:
He was lost on the Sonics bench at the start of the season and didn't get much playing time. But, since Brent Barry broke his finger Daniels has been the starting PG and playing very well. In those starts he's averaging 13.9 ppg, 8.0 apg and 2.8 rpg. He is shooting over 50% from the field and is #2 in the NBA in assist to turnover ratio. He also a solid perimeter defender.

:yes:

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
It's amazing to watch Dalembert run the floor... he's so fluid and graceful, it's hard to believe he's that tall. He runs and jumps like a deer.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Dalembert-

A close friend of mine works at Seton Hall in the basketball program, and is also a student. He knows Sam personally, and has always told me he can play. I always doubted him.

However, we are finally beginning to see Dalembert get worthy minutes. He has shown nothing but good things.
He is blocked shots like a monster, finished strong, gotten back on defense(something a dog on the team does not), and is a constant hustler.

Besides Iverson, I see him as the only player I would HAVE to keep in an Emergency.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Oh, and what about Carlos Boozer?

He has gotten attention as of late, but come on! The guy wasn't even considered by the majority of the NBA's franchises. Now look at him. Every team in the east wishes they had a workhouse similar to Carlos.

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Nevus</b>!
It's amazing to watch Dalembert run the floor... he's so fluid and graceful, it's hard to believe he's that tall. He runs and jumps like a deer.
I agree with you there

·
Registered
372 Posts
Originally posted by <b>JazzMan</b>!
Dan Gadzuric 6.6 PPG 5.6 RPG 52% FG

Gadzo has increased his productivity without dramatically increasing his minutes. In just 3 minutes less per game last year, he recorded only 3.4 ppg – roughly half what he is now managing off the bench. He is 4th in blocks per 48 minutes, and 15th in the LEAGUE in efficiency per 48 minutes. Give this guy some more respect, he is a very effective contributor on a highly surprising team.
Just as important as the numbers is the energy he's bringing off the bench, and Porter obviously knows this. The other night when Joe Smith sat out the game he could have easily started Gads but decided to keep him in the role he's been most productive in.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I like Dalembert, but my one knock on his game right now is his Yinka Dare like court vision. He has 9 assists in 1411 minutes this year.

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
Dalembert doesn't get the ball very much... he gets most of his points finishing, getting putbacks, hitting short jumpshots... they don't really just give him the ball very much. It's not like they try to run offense through him.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts