Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Krystal Pressley’s blistering speed on the basketball court surprises opponents at first.

Pressley pulled another surprise last week, but this time it was on her own team.

Pressley, a guard who led Quinnipiac in scoring this past season as a sophomore, has asked for and was granted her release from the program.

A first-team Northeast Conference selection, Pressley was ranked in the top five of several categories, including scoring (17.4 ppg., third overall) and free throw percentage (84.5 percent, first).

"I was definitely surprised," Quinnipiac coach Tricia Sacca-Fabbri said. "She had a great year and had grown from her freshman to sophomore season. She said she was pleased with what she had done at Quinnipiac, but wanted to move to the next level."

Pressley will have to sit out one season per NCAA transfer rules then have two years of eligibility remaining.

Pressley, the Register Area Girls’ Basketball MVP in 2003 while at Career High, was on pace to end her career as one of the top scorers at Quinnipiac. She had 747 points in her first two seasons, including 498 last season. At that pace, she would have finished second on the Bobcats’ career scoring list behind Francine Perry (1985), who finished with 1,855 points.

According to sources, among the schools Pressley is considering are St. John’s, Seton Hall and Massachusetts.

St. John’s recruited Pressley coming out of high school.

As for Quinnipiac, the Bobcats have four freshmen guards entering the program next season, including state Gatorade Player of the Year Brianna Rooney of Guilford. Rooney may not be ready to play because she is rehabilitating from her torn anterior cruciate ligament suffered in January.

Quinnipiac will most likely look to fill this final scholarship position with a junior college player. Eight of the Bobcats’ 15 players will be freshmen or sophomores next season.

"I feel confident we’ll be ready to ring the bell in the same manner we did last year," said Sacca-Fabbri, who has led the Bobcats to a 52-34 record over the past three seasons. "I’m a big believer in the program. Initially I was stunned. But she’s moved forward, and now so will we."

1 - 1 of 1 Posts