Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think he could be all right, at least from what I've seen so far.

teams are really pressing him, much, much more than they do Stoudamire or they ever did Pippen. they want to see the youngster's fragile ego wilt under pressure, and they want to see if those gangly arms can handle a ball.

he's got some really nice handles, though, and he's willing to give up the ball early and often.

don't get me wrong--he looked to shoot nearly every time he had the ball, which isn't so great for a starting PG. but for a backup who typically has a 7 inch advantage, well, why not make defenses pay for trying to play inside your shorts?

the jury's still out on him as he learns the new position. in the long run, he's probably going to be a better SG than PG, much like a certain number one draft pick who also has a nice handle.

but what the hell. we're a lottery team just trying to learn what kind of a lineup to run. Nash/Patterson need to resist the urge to fill up that 12th slot with another Rick Brunson and see what happens with the Woods point guard experiment.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Thanks Wanker, I always thought that your avatar was a chicken fried steak burger... that's until I read your sig. Gross!

·
Basketballboards.net HOF
795 Posts
I really hope that Mo Cheeks can get Qyntel to settle into the back up pg spot but I'm not sure if he's ready to handle that pressure right now.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Playing pg isn't easy

I'm really skeptical if Woods can succeed at pg. If bringing up the ball is all that's required out of a pg, then Woods is off to a great start. His ball handling is very good and he bring up the ball fast. But playing pg is about directing an offense, and Woods is off to a shaky start. When he has the ball in his hands, it doesn't look like he can read the defense and pass off the ball or move to counter the defense. His only way of countering the defense is to put up an off balance shot, which he is not that affective at. He's a better spot up shooter than a pull up shooter.

I fear that we may be asking too much from Woods. He has never played pg on any level. Now that he is at the highest level, we are asking him to learn the hardest position to play from scratch? It's almost unprecedented for a player that had never played pg and turned into a decent pg in the NBA. Just because he has the ball handling skill to be a pg, doesn't mean he has the instinct and the skills to be a pg. I'm skeptical. I would rather the coaching staffs hone in on his offensive skills as a sg or a sf.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
It can't be that hard, they only run four plays.

I like having Q run the point. He has to have the ball in his hands to be effective. If he's playing on the wing, his teammates don't look for him so he drifts around uninvolved. He has some PG skills and making him learn how to play the game from the captain's chair should excellerate his learning process.

Maybe he'll eventually play 2 or 3, but I like what they're doing with him right now.

BTW, I too thought Wanker's pic was a chicken sandwich until just now. That thing is nasty!

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by <b>SheedSoNasty</b>!
Thanks Wanker, I always thought that your avatar was a chicken fried steak burger... that's until I read your sig. Gross!
you know, i put it up there wondering if I'd ever get used to it. it still really troubles me, mostly because it does look so damned delicious. my experiment has run its course. time to make a change.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Originally posted by <b>theWanker</b>!
but what the hell. we're a lottery team just trying to learn what kind of a lineup to run. Nash/Patterson need to resist the urge to fill up that 12th slot with another Rick Brunson and see what happens with the Woods point guard experiment.
Lottery team? I think it's far too early to label Portland a lottery team. There are many games yet to be played. Portland is only 5 1/2 games out of the 8th seed. They seem to be playing with more energy on this road trip. I wouldn't be shocked to see Portland get the 7th or 8th seed.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I suppose so, antibody. you could even argue we're in a three-way race for eighth place, if you want to lieberman a little.

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Originally posted by <b>theWanker</b>!
I suppose so, antibody. you could even argue we're in a three-way race for eighth place, if you want to lieberman a little.
Yeah, we need some of that Joementum! :yes:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Its a good idea, but I think we need to sign another backup PG just in case it doesnt work or we move into serious playoff contention and cant afford to be expirementing.

GO BLAZERS!!

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nope, I just happened to see it on my Yahoo homepage. I subscribe to the top photos thing, and they really have some interesting shots.

<--my current James Brown avatar is from the same source. (I added the "I feel....good!" in the interest of irony and making him more recognizable.)

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
I felt SO sorry for Q last night! Over and over and over, he attempted to bring the ball up the court, only to have it stolen, cause him to turn it over, or, basically, embarrass himself.

At one point, he was so frustrated, he alsmost seemed to look over at Mo and the bench in despair and scream, "I'M NOT A FREAKIN' POINT GUARD - SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME!!!"

At times, DA - even Darius - came to the rescue and helped him out with the Point duties.

At any rate, it's clear to me that Nash will remedy that problem by the trade deadline. (either a trade, or a 10-day contract out of the development league, etc.)

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
clearly it's ridiculous at this point to expect him to successfully bring it upcourt on his own.

I laughed my *** off when Dale Davis set that pick at midcourt and knocked half the molars out of the guy applying pressure.

they clearly need a second player to walk with him up court to relieve pressure, either by setting picks or creating early ball movement. it's not necessarily a bad thing for Woods to pass out of that situation--it can easily create a 3 on 3 situation down the court, which is much easier for Sheed or Zach to score in.

it's funny how this team goes through all sorts of contortions to cover for Damon's miserable defense, yet we can't figure out that Woods really needs some help on the simple art of bringing the ball up.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
one other question--why on earth aren't they making DA dribble up the ball more? he's got decent handles and just seems better physically built for the duty. .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts