Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Step 1

Deal Crawford, Eddy Curry, Marcus Fizer and Eddie Robinson for Rasheed Wallace - they cut Fizer , only have ERob for 1 year to expire with Stoudamire's salary making them a player in 2005 free agency and have

Curry
Randolph
Miles
Woods
Crawford

Step 2

Limp through the rest of the season and play poll position for draft order

Step 3

Let's assume we finish with a top #3 pick .... if #1 - deal Okafur and Jerome Williams for Rashard Lewis and Nick Collison

IF #2 or #3 deal the pick and Jerome Williams for Al Harrington and Scott Pollard

If #4 or #5 - deal the pick and Jerome Williams for Wally Sczcerbiak and Michael Olowokandi

Anyway .. let's assume Al Harrington and Scott Pollard for the #3 pick and Jerome Williams

Step 4

We're committed to around $34M with

Scott Pollard
Antonio Davis
Tyson Chandler
Al Harrington
Kirk Hinrich
Jay Williams
Scottie Pippen

We go after Manu Ginobli for the max

That's right

The Max - $11M

Step 5

That's 8 players for $45M

We add Ronald Dupree back for league minimum if we can - add a 2nd rounder ( pick at the top of the 2nd round ) and add a couple of league minimum types - probably bring Corie Blount and Kendall Gill back and maybe a Carl English / Kyle Korver one trick pony type ( shooter )

This is how we would take shape

Davis
Chandler
Harrington
Ginobili
Hinrich

bench

Pollard
Blount
Dupree
Gill
Williams

Pippen
Anthony Johnson
2nd rounder

Have a look at the heart and talent of that starting 5 and the heart of the 2nd unit - Blount and Gill give their all , Dupree is a tryer and then you have Jay .. nuff said .. and he is comimg back

I team like that would make you want to root for the Bulls and take them seriously again

Wouldn't it ?

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
Originally posted by <b>FJ_of _Rockaway</b>!
Step 1

Deal Crawford, Eddy Curry, Marcus Fizer and Eddie Robinson for Rasheed Wallace - they cut Fizer , only have ERob for 1 year to expire with Stoudamire's salary making them a player in 2005 free agency and have

Curry
Randolph
Miles
Woods
Crawford

Step 2

Limp through the rest of the season and play poll position for draft order

Step 3

Let's assume we finish with a top #3 pick .... if #1 - deal Okafur and Jerome Williams for Rashard Lewis and Nick Collison

IF #2 or #3 deal the pick and Jerome Williams for Al Harrington and Scott Pollard

If #4 or #5 - deal the pick and Jerome Williams for Wally Sczcerbiak and Michael Olowokandi

Anyway .. let's assume Al Harrington and Scott Pollard for the #3 pick and Jerome Williams

Step 4

We're committed to around $34M with

Scott Pollard
Antonio Davis
Tyson Chandler
Al Harrington
Kirk Hinrich
Jay Williams
Scottie Pippen

We go after Manu Ginobli for the max

That's right

The Max - $11M

Step 5

That's 8 players for $45M

We add Ronald Dupree back for league minimum if we can - add a 2nd rounder ( pick at the top of the 2nd round ) and add a couple of league minimum types - probably bring Corie Blount and Kendall Gill back and maybe a Carl English / Kyle Korver one trick pony type ( shooter )

This is how we would take shape

Davis
Chandler
Harrington
Ginobili
Hinrich

bench

Pollard
Blount
Dupree
Gill
Williams

Pippen
Anthony Johnson
2nd rounder

Have a look at the heart and talent of that starting 5 and the heart of the 2nd unit - Blount and Gill give their all , Dupree is a tryer and then you have Jay .. nuff said .. and he is comimg back

I team like that would make you want to root for the Bulls and take them seriously again

Wouldn't it ?
FJ, I give you credit for a bold vision. You've obviously thought it out very carefully.

One big problem though. So after we've completely dismantled our team, we still have 34 mil in cap room.

The Spurs will have only 32.6 plus a small amount for a very low first round pick. The reason they are going to be so low is because they worked very hard this offseason so they had expiring contracts and would be able to resign Manu at all costs.

They can match whatever we would offer to Manu. I think they would even match the max, and if not, they would offer him something close enough that he would decline our offer and stay with his two time defending champion franchise :D playing with the best big man in basketball.

Even Kobe has more reason to come to the Bullsl this offseason than Manu, and Kobe won't be coming.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Spurs won't sign him for the Max

They can't

They have Duncan , Parker , Bowen , Rasho and Rose tied up for $33M

They sign Manu to the Max and add their draft pick they have 7 players for $45M - 3 of whom are starters only and then have 5 bodies to fill for league minimum types

I will slam my nuts in a drawer if they pay Manu max or anything resembling it

So... why don't we give them depth and do a deal now

Eddy Curry , Jamal Crawford and Kendall Gill for Ginobili and their 1st rounder right now ?

We deal ERob with our #1 - #4 on draft day and still target Harrington and Pollard or Lewis and Collison

By doing the deal with the Spurs we keep JYD which I would prefer to do

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
omfg

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

For the love of God, how do you come up with such a phrase??

·
Registered
8,438 Posts

They can't

They sign Manu to the Max and add their draft pick they have 7 players for $45M - 3 of whom are starters only and then have 5 bodies to fill for league minimum types

So... why don't we give them depth and do a deal now

Eddy Curry , Jamal Crawford and Kendall Gill for Ginobili and their 1st rounder right now ?

We deal ERob with our #1 - #4 on draft day and still target Harrington and Pollard or Lewis and Collison

By doing the deal with the Spurs we keep JYD which I would prefer to do
FJ, you're making less and less sense as you go along. Why in god's name would the Spurs trade away their second best player (and a future all star) while they are defending champs. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, especially if their piece is better than our pieces right now. Besides, the Spurs have all the potential they need right now with two young stars Parker and Ginobili. No way they're messing up what they have right now.

I'm also not sure what exceptions the Spurs could pull out if they go over the cap next year, but they'll sign their young star this year as first priority, sign Parker to a healthy deal the next summer, and fill in the pieces as they are able.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
If the Spurs won't sign Manu to the max, perhaps we should consider the possibility that he isn't worth it. They're in a position to know a lot more about him than we do. And currently... they have him coming off the bench. Nice player, lots of hype.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Just because a player is good doesn't mean you should throw away everything you have just to get him. You are basically trading Jamal Crawford, Eddy Curry, Jerome Williams, and a top 3 pick in the draft, for two solid sixth men.

When you overpay that severely for a player, he will almost undoubtedly be a disappointment. If Ginobili is signed for 5 million a year he is a good deal, but for the max he would be an albatross contract. That team would finish like 7-9 in the East every year because it doesn't have a star to take things to the next level.

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts

Davis
Chandler
Harrington
Ginobili
Hinrich

bench

Pollard
Blount
Dupree
Gill
Williams

Pippen
Anthony Johnson
2nd rounder

While Manu is one of my favorite players in the league, this is not a squad that exactly inspires me.

I appreciate the hard work, but in this case, no thanks.

And deal Crawford, Curry, Fizer and ERob just to get Rasheed's expiring contract? Eh.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts

They can't

1) How's them having 7 players signed for 45million so much worse than us having 8 for the same money?

2) They would not have only 3 starters. They would have their entire front 6, with Parker/Manu/Bowen/Duncan/Nesterovic as the starters and Rose as 6th man. Factor in the draft pick, Luis Scola, and the Spurs uncanny ability to plyck them from nowhere and just supposing they did sign Manu for the max.....what's the problem?

3) Manu is not max calibre, he wont be signed for even close to it, and therefore all figures are irelevant.

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,080 Posts
I thought you were boycotting everything until there was something real happening with our team.

·
Registered
60 Posts
LMAO

what a horrible horrible deal! :eek: :uhoh: :sleep:

eddy curry, jamal, jyd.. our lottery pick(which should be very high) for al harrington and a free agent rasheed, then you have the nerve to say we should sign Manu to the MAX? now thats more then silly, its madness. pass the killian's red over here

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I am sorry but this is a rediculous plan ever. We are giving away too much for a troubled player. Curry and JC for Wallace? You must be kidding me. I woudln't mind if they throw in Randolph.

Personally, I would do something like this.

Davis, JC, ERob, and a filler for Wallace and Patterson. And no, I am not going to offer Gino the Max. I would rather have Doug Christie instead.

·
Welcome to the Grindhouse!
19,803 Posts
You could probably get Manu from the Spurs for Curry straight up.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by <b>Mikedc</b>!
If the Spurs won't sign Manu to the max, perhaps we should consider the possibility that he isn't worth it. They're in a position to know a lot more about him than we do. And currently... they have him coming off the bench. Nice player, lots of hype.
Robert Parish played off the bench for the World Champion Celtics you may recall

Manu on the bench means dick in terms of what a special player he is

IMO he is the best two guard playing basketball .. its just that no one knows it

No .. he won't put up gaudy TMac numbers or soar like Vince .. but hey how's the Tragic and Craptors doing ?

Manu is one of the most complete basketballers playing the game and is severely undervalued

Like Jason Kidd.. he sees plays a few frames before they are played which is how he plays how he plays and where his real value is

I have no doubt he is worth a max deal and I would pay him no questions asked if the other pieces around him were right

A perimeter of Hinrich, Ginobili and Harrington could be the toughest in the East .. possibly the league

Throw the defensive talenst of Chandler, Davis and Pollard at the back of them and the emerging Dupree .. and this could be one of the toughest teams to score on in the East

Hinrich will develop as the Elton Brand of point guards - a 15 and 7 guy night in and night out

Ginobili - a 17 - 18 ppg scorer and balls out defense

Harrington is the variety inside/outside scorer who is also a 18ppg guy

And Chandler could score 16 ppg easily just mopping up

Dupree , Davis and Pollard are the support scorers

And if Jay Williams can get back and can emulate a Bobby Jackson type role from the bench -- we're an easy 90 ppg team with one of the toughest defensive units going around

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
I haven't watched the Spurs enough to know why Manu has been coming off the bench, but I did see them play several games at the beginning of the year when Timmy was injured. Manu was the star of the team and was playing at a near Kobe Bryant level. He may not be quite worth the max, but he's worth a hell of a lot. Consider me a big fan of his.

But as was the point of my initial response, the Spurs will not let him slip away. Expect him to sign a contract relatively early in the game with the Spurs. I don't think they're going to play around with him. The red carpet will be rolled out to return.

The same thing will happen on a lower level with Okur in Detroit this summer.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts