Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Registered
4,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"If I can keep him preoccupied with trying to beat me 1-on-1, then there are four other guys out there who aren't getting shots," Bell said. "That plays into our hands because we're going to get points. So if he gets 50 and the rest of the guys don't get enough to beat us, I did my job."

-Raja Bell

Sad but true...Kobe's teammates really sucks.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=260407021

· Registered
4,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont mind Kobe going off for 51 last night especially if he's shooting 57% from the field. My concern is hopefully Kobe doesnt take this "he cant stop me" mentality in the playoffs and disregard team concept.

· Registered
4,171 Posts
Raja tries to make it sound like Kobe doesn't pass to his teamates at all, if they could shoot over 45% we wouldn't be having this discussion.

· Registered
4,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually I think Nash is the one who is indicating that Kobe does not pass to his teammates.

You feel like if he's taking all those shots, the other guys aren't really scoring," Nash said.

He forgot to acknowledge the fact that Kobe's trigger happy offense was justified when he shot 19 of 33 (57%) while the rest of team was 18 of 49 (37%). Little Stevie needs to shut it.

· Registered
263 Posts
May be dropping down to number eight is not a bad thing afterall. At least Lakers has beaten Spurs once and had another one pretty close game. Lakers has lost seventh consecutive games against Phoenix including last season. Let Sacramento Kings to deal with Suns. Seriously, I think Suns is beatable, but Lakers have to concentrate all 48 minutes of the game, not even 47, because obviously Suns could do a 10-0 run in a minute. And I don't think Lakers could focus 48 minutes as a team for four games in the playoff.

· Curse of the Sonics
20,792 Posts
Haha. Raja Bell allowed his man to score 51 points on 56% from the field and thinks he did a good job. You almost think that he if held Kobe to a mere 40 points one night, he might start calling himself the Kobe-stopper.

"I've got bigger fish to fry than Raja Bell," he said. "Are you kidding?"
Funny because it's true.

· Premium Member
5,397 Posts
I loved it when Smush Parker pushed Steve Nash into the ground when he tried to go for steal. I love Nash's game but he's been yapping too much, he really do need to shut the **** up. :biggrin:

· BIG $$$
7,097 Posts
I don't mean to pry, but for having one of the most egotistical players in the game, you guys sure are quick to jump on other players who say one sentence about anything negative toward the Lakers.

Someone says something like "he was just trying to score" and suddenly he needs to shut the **** up.

Then Kobe acts like he is king of the world and can say whatever he wants, and Laker fans pop their #8 jerseys like they are representing something they are doing...

Seems a little hypocritical to me, don't you think?

· Curse of the Sonics
20,792 Posts
unluckyseventeen said:
I don't mean to pry, but for having one of the most egotistical players in the game, you guys sure are quick to jump on other players who say one sentence about anything negative toward the Lakers.

Someone says something like "he was just trying to score" and suddenly he needs to shut the **** up.

Then Kobe acts like he is king of the world and can say whatever he wants, and Laker fans pop their #8 jerseys like they are representing something they are doing...

Seems a little hypocritical to me, don't you think?
Nash and Bell both were disrespectful by basically saying Kobe is a ballhog and trying to discredit a very efficient 50 point performance by acting like it was part of the plan to let him score that many. Judging by the post game interviews, the Suns were kind of throwing it in the face of Bryant that they won they game despite a great performance. They carry around that "we play team basketball so were winners" mentality and judging from two Nash interviews and a Bell interview, they were definitely throwing that at Kobe Bryant last night. That's disrespectful.

The Suns aren't in any position to disrespect great players like that. Kobe has more titles than anyone in their organization combined. Win a title or even make a finals appearance before you start acting like you invented the win column.

· Registered
4,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just lost respect on Stevie with that comment. Im sure he's not looking forward to another MVP trophy and is downgrading Bryants performance, but he knows better than that, its just a low blow comment on his part.

· Registered
4,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sir Patchwork said:
. You almost think that he if held Kobe to a mere 40 points one night, he might start calling himself the Kobe-stopper.
:laugh: Bell was just trying to hide the fact that he got destroyed by Kobe Bryant, advising that he did his job on Bryant by letting him score 51 pts just as long Kobe's teammates didnt contribute much.

· Beware of Elbows
18,412 Posts
He did his job? Kobe shot over 50% and scored 51 points. Kobe completely embarrassed and owned you, buddy.

The rest of the team did their job, that was why the Suns won. Or more to the point, the rest of the Lakers didn't do their job.

Raja Bell, on the other hand, failed miserably.

· Star in the Making
4,739 Posts
Personally, I feel that the Lakers can beat anyone in a 7 game series.
But thats my personal opinion.

Spurs? we can beat em
Dallas? we can beat em
Denver? we can beat em
Clippers? we can beat em
Grizzlies? we can beat em
Suns? we can beat em
Kings? we can beat em

and I am serious!

· Snapping Necks and Cashing Checks
12,591 Posts
why is it that all the Suns player choose to focus on the fact that Kobe scored 51 on an excellent percentage and they choose to ignore that fact that the other Lakers couldnt hit a damn shot? Kobe is a SCORER. Its what he does. Its what hes supposed to do. The sun comes up in the east, Jenna Jameson is hot, and Kobe scores... Facts of life.

People ignore the REAL reason we lost. No one other than Kobe could hit a shot.

· Registered
3,669 Posts
Kobe can score 101 points, and the rest of his team can score 8 points. But all the suns need to do is get 110+ (which they get a lot). And are you kidding? NO ONE IN THE LEAGUE CAN 1 ON 1 GUARD KOBE. You know kobe is going to have a game of 40+, so you just 1v1 bryant and let your other 4 guys not give the other laker players easy shots, or uncontested. So you let kobe score his 40-60 points, and then you just need to hold the other players to 40-60 points or less and you need 100+ points for the win.

It's actually a good idea, because by doubling kobe your just letting him pass to a wide open laker. Odom has been deadly from the 3 pointer with wide open 3's. Doesn't anyone else see that it was actually smart to just do your damn best against him and let your other 4 do the rest on the other lakers?

· BIG $$$
7,097 Posts
Indeed. I also recall a Mavs/Suns game in the playoffs last year where the Mavs' strategy was to let Steve Nash score and not leave their man. The Mav's won the game when they started implementing it.

It's a pretty goofy strategy, but it seems to work.

Also, I wouldn't consider either Nash or Bell to be disrespectful. Nash is about as wussy as they come, and Raja Bell has never, nor (I think) will ever try to be a jerk on purpose. They just stated the gameplan and were probably glad that they got the win. Bell downright said "I don't care if he drops 50, the important thing is that we win." They won. They did their job. You guys all keep focusing on the fact that Kobe scored 50, and that Kobe owned Bell.

Oh well. Team concept is more important than a single player's achievement. The Suns stuck to their game plan and drug out a W. Though it may have not been the best strategy, they still got it done.

· Times Like These
5,686 Posts
unluckyseventeen said:
Indeed. I also recall a Mavs/Suns game in the playoffs last year where the Mavs' strategy was to let Steve Nash score and not leave their man. The Mav's won the game when they started implementing it.

It's a pretty goofy strategy, but it seems to work.
It could not have worked too well, if the Mavs lost the series. Mavs stopped doing that strategy for a reason.

Sure the strategy may work one game, but it won't work consistently.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.