Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,191 Posts
Timing of this is very interesting. Wonder what's at play:

1) Did a one-off event occur that led to Monroe's dismissal?, or was it just overall record past few seasons and general direction of program?

2) Did UMBC plan this all along and just want to wait right before the season started to ensure the incoming players and returning players would be locked in for this season?

3) Player mutiny?

CBS link to "details" is pretty generous calling that information actual details. Will be interesting to hear the real story what happened.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Two days before practice starts, UMBC coach Randy Monroe resigns

Daniel Martin
Oct 10, 2012, 4:14 PM EDT

Just two days away from the start of team practices to begin the 2012-13 season, UMBC coach Randy Monroe has resigned.

“We appreciate all that Coach Monroe did for our basketball program and our community during his long tenure at UMBC,” UMBC athletic director Charles Brown said in a statement. “We wish him nothing but success in his future endeavors.”
To replace Monroe on an interim basis, assistant Aki Thomas takes over as the head of the program.

“Aki brings an excellent playing and coaching background to the position,” Brown said in the release. “He has strong communication skills and will fit into our program in a very positive way. I am confident that he will be able to support our student-athletes during this time of transition. I am excited about this year’s men’s basketball team and feel that we can compete for the America East Conference title.”

·
UMBC fan
3,920 Posts
:yesyesyes: :jump:

But in all seriousness, thank you for the NCAA Tourney appearance Randy. That season will never be forgotten.

13-77 in our last 90 games though....so it had to be done.

UMBC needs a fresh start, and hopefully we can find a long term option within the next year.

Update from the Baltimore Sun:

Randy Monroe has resigned as UMBC's men's basketball coach just two days before the official start of practice.

UMBC athletic director Charles Brown told The Sun that he was not surprised by Monroe's resignation.

"Well, we talked about it, he gave us his resignation," Brown said. "Today is the official date of his resignation."

Brown acknowledged that "the timing ... was an issue," but declined to further discuss the reasons for Monroe's departure because it is "a personnel issue." Monroe did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

·
UMBC fan
3,920 Posts

1) Did a one-off event occur that led to Monroe's dismissal?, or was it just overall record past few seasons and general direction of program?

2) Did UMBC plan this all along and just want to wait right before the season started to ensure the incoming players and returning players would be locked in for this season?

3) Player mutiny?

CBS link to "details" is pretty generous calling that information actual details. Will be interesting to hear the real story what happened.
Part II of your 1) seems most likely. I don't think the players would do that.

I heard whispers about this on the 8th, but did not think it would actually happen. Just cannot believe the timing (no complaining though).

·
Premium Member
33,191 Posts
What's still unanswered is:

1) If Monroe resigned on his own accord, what triggered it?

2) If UMBC forced this and Brown was ultimately going to let go of Monroe- why right now?

3) How long has Brown known about this, and why in the world would you not make it immediate?

Sounds to me like what perhaps happened was the administration put some targets and milestones in place and perhaps Monroe didn't like how that conversation went and just decided to walk away.

I don't know- all I do know is whoever is responsible, this sucks for whatever players committed to UMBC to play for Monroe and were expecting him to be their coach in 2012-13.

Not having your head coach you were expecting to have 2 days before the season starts is a huge blow. Don't have all the answers, but from afar but it is extremely sketchy that UMBC would announce two days before the season.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Sad to see Randy go! I really enjoyed watching him coach and he could go from 0-60 in a sec. I hope he lands on his feet.

·
Registered
14,160 Posts
Needed to happen...it's terrible that a man in this economy lost a job today and I wish him personally the best moving forward but the UMBC program was wondering in the wilderness with no end in sight.

·
6,095 Posts
It's like one of those things you see coming, but you're shocked that it actually happens. That's all I can really say about it right now.

I really think he's going to be an assistant coach somewhere. Some coaches are born to be assistants.

·
6,095 Posts

3) Player mutiny?

Can't be much more interesting than his predecessor's departure.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Wow...truly stunned at the timing. Will be very interesting to see if there is any public reaction from the players. I'm sure they have been told to keep their twitter, facebook, etc stuff quiet and to be careful about what they say.

Man...cannot believe it happened 2 days before start of practice.

Well, best of luck UMBC!

·
Premium Member
33,191 Posts
Can't be much more interesting than his predecessor's departure.
I think everyone knows why Monroe is not the coach anymore- that would seem pretty obvious.

The only interesting part is the timing- why the change is 2 days before the start of the season.

·
UMBC fan
3,920 Posts
Didn't need to hear this...it just makes it sound worse from every aspect. Sounds like Monroe simply gave up (and gave up a long time ago), and our AD is an idiot when it comes to MBB. If a head coach has to even THINK about whether or not he wants to coach, why is he coaching the team still!? Crazy. I guess he quit in best interest of the team, but is resigning at THIS point in the season really beneficial? Someone (Cough..Randy...Cough) wanted to keep their resume as impressive (and by impressive I mean unimpressive) as possible..... Geesh.

However, is any of this really news at this point?

:paperbag:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts