Baron/JRich
Arenas/Hughes
Billups/Hamilton
Parket/Manu
Kidd/Carter
Bibby/Mobley
Marbury/Crawford

Did I leave anyone out?

IMHO, The Wizards backcourt have been the best this season. Assuming all stay with their current teams after the offseason, do you think the order will stay the same next season?

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Arenas/Hughes
Parker/Manu
Billups/Hamilton
Kidd/Carter
Bibby/Mobley
Baron/JRich
Marbury/Crawford

I guess...though I would be willing to switch up basically anything from 2-6.

·
Registered
6,763 Posts
Arenas/Hughes
Billups/Hamilton
Parker/Manu
Kidd/Carter

are really the best ones, the other 3 are really just tossups, as long as Marbury/Crawford come in last.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Arenas/Hughes
Kidd/Carter
Parker/Ginobili
Marbury/Crawford
Davis/Richardson
Billups/Hamilton
Bibby/Mobley

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Arenas/Hughes
Billups/Hamilton
Parket/Manu
Kidd/Carter
Baron/JRich
Bibby/Mobley
Marbury/Crawford

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
1. Kidd/Carter
2. Marbury/Crawford
3. Arenas/Hughes
4. Baron/JRich
5. Bibby/Mobley
6. Billups/Hamilton
7. Parker/Manu

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
I'm amazed at how much disrespect is being shown to the spurs and pistons in this thread. They are the two best DEFENSIVE backcourts BY A HUGE margin in this thread. And offensive skills notwithstanding (they aren't terrible in this area either), defense and ballhandling becomes more important when it matters.

They rank 1-2 respectively in my book.

The NY backcourt doesn't even make the top 10 on my list, since they don't D up. Crawford might be among the 10 worst defensive starting guards in all of basketball, and he's certainly the worst defender on this list.

·
Registered
16,561 Posts
The Krakken said:
I'm amazed at how much disrespect is being shown to the spurs and pistons in this thread. They are the two best DEFENSIVE backcourts BY A HUGE margin in this thread.
No, they have Ben Wallace and Tim Duncan anchoring their defense. From what I can remember, all four players were seen as mediocre defenders before they played with their frontcourt.

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
Pacers Fan said:
No, they have Ben Wallace and Tim Duncan anchoring their defense. From what I can remember, all four players were seen as mediocre defenders before they played with their frontcourt.

From what I remember, Parker and Manu have always had Duncan on their team.

·
Registered
193 Posts
tempe85 said:
I thought Nash/JJ were considered pretty good.
They are definetly in the Top 7 and you can make an argument that they are #1.

Spurs, Suns, Nets, and Wizards all have excellent backcourts; pretty hard to say which one is best. I guess it comes down to which team you like best.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
7 said:
They are definetly in the Top 7 and you can make an argument that they are #1.

Spurs, Suns, Nets, and Wizards all have excellent backcourts; pretty hard to say which one is best. I guess it comes down to which team you like best.
Just my personal preference... but there isn't a backcourt in the league I'd take over Nash/JJ. They're both pheonominal shooters (both rank in the top 6 in 3 point percentage), both can play point, Nash is the best point guard in the league this year by far, JJ is a great defender... I could go on and on..

By the way check out the line for Nash today:
10-14 shooting, 4-4 from the FT line, 4-5 from 3, 2 boards, 11 assists, 28 points.

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Pacers Fan said:
By your logic, Jordan was an average defender at best, since he had Dennis Rodman (who I still rank ahead of Ben wallce defensively) on the front line anchoring the defen se

·
Registered
255 Posts
except Jordan only had Rodman for the last 3 years?... so not really by his logic.. anyways my top 3 are all interchangable

Hughes/Arenas
Jamison/Davis(prob most talented of the group)
Carter/Kidd(would be best if Kidd was a couple years younger)

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Deng101 said:
except Jordan only had Rodman for the last 3 years?... so not really by his logic.. anyways my top 3 are all interchangable
1) That makes no sense. We are talking about the best defensive backcourts in a given year. He pointed out that they cant be considered great defenders based SOLEY (at least this is the impression he gives off) on the fact that they have defensive stoppers in the frontcourt.

2) I see you agree with me that such a claim is ludicrous. Both Jordan and Pippen were LEGENDARY defenders both on and off the ball, with or without rodman. But one shouldn't have to look at a players career to assess his overall defensive prowess in a given year.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts