Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this will start a war but it's July so what the hell. Criteria based on rankings, graduates, endowment etc....

1- GW
2- Richmond
3- Fordham.
4- Xavier
5- Duquesne
6- St. Josephs
7- Saint Louis
8-VCU
9-Butler
10- Temple
11- UMass
12- St.Bona
13- URI
14-Charlotte
15-Dayton
16-LaSalle

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yep, this will stir it up. The large state-supported schools have a very different mission than small private colleges so comparing them really does not mean much. I imagine the best students at Temple, UMass, and Charlotte are just as smart as the best students at any other schools. We just take those students plus 15,000 others that the private schools don't. Thank goodness, because I was in the "others" group. How about we measure academic ROI? I think you get more education per dollar at Charlotte than any school in the conference. For all you people still paying off your student loans how about going to a school where tuition and fees is under $6000/year? Now that is smart.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here we go...

1) GW
2) Fordham (Last in Basketball though)
3) Saint Louis
4) Dayton
5) Duquesne
6) Temple
7) VCU
8) Butler
9) Richmond
10) UMass
11) St. Josephs
12) Xavier
13) St. Bonne
14) Rhode Island
15) Charlotte
16) LaSalle

*Some of the bottom Universities are pretty random but Saint Louis is NOT #7, we are easily #3 and climbing in the past few years.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Anyone who puts St. Joe's over Temple knows absolutely zero about the subject. Private=/=better. Trust me on that.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Here we go...

1) GW
2) Fordham (Last in Basketball though)
3) Saint Louis
4) Dayton
5) Duquesne
6) Temple
7) VCU
8) Butler
9) Richmond
10) UMass
11) St. Josephs
12) Xavier
13) St. Bonne
14) Rhode Island
15) Charlotte
16) LaSalle

*Some of the bottom Universities are pretty random but Saint Louis is NOT #7, we are easily #3 and climbing in the past few years.
Butler, Richmond and Xavier are much, much better schools than VCU.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Butler, Richmond and Xavier are much, much better schools than VCU.
VCU is ranked by the US News and World Report, neither Butler, Richmond, or Xavier are ranked nationally. However, all three of them rank rather highly regionally. This may just be because they are not considered to be "National Universities" or because they are not as good academically. I think its important to note that each university will have a specialty such as SLU with business, health care law, medical, and aviation yet our other programs are also decent enough to make us an all around solid school. Some of these universities have very strong schools or departments but seem to be bellow par in others that may drag them down on the rankings. I attend Saint Louis University for it's business school, not for it's lack of a music school so I think rankings are very bias depending on the person.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Here are the rankings from US News and World Report:

National Liberal Arts Colleges
Richmond 27

National Universities
George Washington 50
Fordam 53
St. Louis 90
UMass 94
Dayton 101
Duquesne 119
Temple 132
URI 160
VCU 170
Charlotte 194

Regional Institutions
Butler 2 Midwest
Xavier 4 Midwest
St. Joes 8 North
St. Bonneventure 32 North
LaSalle 41 North

It is tough to compare regional institutions, national universities and liberal arts colleges. Different types of places are better for different types of people. If we are talking about academics I think Richmond probably comes out on top though. Larger schools tend to not focus on teaching as much as smaller schools.

VCU is ranked by the US News and World Report, neither Butler, Richmond, or Xavier are ranked nationally. However, all three of them rank rather highly regionally. This may just be because they are not considered to be "National Universities" or because they are not as good academically. I think its important to note that each university will have a specialty such as SLU with business, health care law, medical, and aviation yet our other programs are also decent enough to make us an all around solid school. Some of these universities have very strong schools or departments but seem to be bellow par in others that may drag them down on the rankings. I attend Saint Louis University for it's business school, not for it's lack of a music school so I think rankings are very bias depending on the person.
Businessweek's Undergraduate Business School Rankings:
Richmond 15
Butler 48
Xavier 83
St. Louis 100

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-03-22/best-undergraduate-b-schools-the-complete-ranking

·
Registered
299 Posts
Richmond and GW are the top 2 and it's not even debatable. I dont think you can really argue Fordham at 3. There's a reason FU is in the Patriot League for football. Richmond is also very similar to the PL schools like Lehigh Lafayette and Colgate.

Typed on a cell...

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
7th is insane. I really question how much you know about academia. UR is on par with Davidson, Wake Forest, Lehigh, William & Mary etc.
He knows nothing, which is why he has UR 7th.

Honestly, the entire thing is pretty pointless. GW is a great school and I have many friends there or graduated from there (including my best friend who transferred from Temple), but for $60K/yr, I think Temple is a significantly better value at less than half the price/yr in state, especially if you get into the Temple Honors College (in which case, you're probably getting at least a few thousand a year in scholarships). If you're not wealthy or on scholarship, I think private universities are not worth the money.

·
Registered
261 Posts
here is the real list

1) UMass
16) GW
16) Fordham
16) Saint Louis
16) Dayton
16) Duquesne
16) Temple
16) VCU
16) Butler
16) Richmond
16) St. Josephs
16) Xavier
16) St. Bonne
16) Rhode Island
16) Charlotte
16) LaSalle

:bananallama:

·
Registered
880 Posts
It is tough to compare regional institutions, national universities and liberal arts colleges. Different types of places are better for different types of people.
Yeah, this is a pretty pointless thread.

I do like Twister's list though. Clearly, UMass has been pumping out some high quality grads.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Honestly, the entire thing is pretty pointless. GW is a great school and I have many friends there or graduated from there (including my best friend who transferred from Temple), but for $60K/yr, I think Temple is a significantly better value at less than half the price/yr in state, especially if you get into the Temple Honors College (in which case, you're probably getting at least a few thousand a year in scholarships). If you're not wealthy or on scholarship, I think private universities are not worth the money.
I agree that paying full freight at most private colleges can seem to be both daunting, and conceivably a waste of money. Of course you are getting a much more personal education for that money. Deans who know you, professors that notice when you are not in class, and the knowledge that you are never just a number. Also at a school like Richmond the endowment of close to $2B allows the school to give out so much financial aid that a majority of students are not paying anywhere near close to full price. 66% of all students are on some form of financial aid, scholarship / grant, with the average aid being $33,000 a year. Richmond does not want students to leave UR with much more than $20,000 in debt.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
hahaha...yes, there are a couple umass guys on here that aren't making much of an argument for the minutemen.

I agree with the notion that this is pointless. Every school in the A10 has pros and cons, and all are fantastic schools in many ways. Umass has Z8 and his other personalities, but is also a world class institution in many areas.

I wouldn't trade my experience at Richmond for anything, but that doesn't mean the other schools aren't great and perfect for other people's needs....which is why this is silly.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I agree that paying full freight at most private colleges can seem to be both daunting, and conceivably a waste of money. Of course you are getting a much more personal education for that money. Deans who know you, professors that notice when you are not in class, and the knowledge that you are never just a number. Also at a school like Richmond the endowment of close to $2B allows the school to give out so much financial aid that a majority of students are not paying anywhere near close to full price. 66% of all students are on some form of financial aid, scholarship / grant, with the average aid being $33,000 a year. Richmond does not want students to leave UR with much more than $20,000 in debt.
That's pretty cool, was not aware that UR's endowment was that large.

I loved Xavier, however I wish I would have looked at UR. I have heard nothing but great things about that place. I would, of course, still have been a Xavier fan though...

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Academic rankings are among the dumbest things we have in this country.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Academic rankings are among the dumbest things we have in this country.
I think they have some value. They are not the be all and end all and should not be the sole factor in one's decision on where to go to college. Going to a highly ranked school does help in the job market and in applying to grad school. Again not the only factor obviously, but a factor nonetheless.

I would not call them dumb, but they are very imperfect.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts