Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1)TEMPLE (previously No. 2). The Owls move to No. 1 after wins over Maryland and Georgetown. Dunphy is finding more contributors off the bench and Ramone Moore is turning into a very dangerous scorer as expected. Temple is better defensively and mentally tougher than any other team in the league.

2)XAVIER (Previously No. 3). In my previous ranking, I wrote that Kenny Frease and Mark Lyons were getting better and better. That continues to be the case, and if it continues, the Musketeers are going back to the NCAA tournament. Frease had a monster game in the win over Wake Forest.

3)RICHMOND (previously No 1). The Spiders are still the most complete team in the A-10, in my view, but I have concerns about their mental toughness. The loss to an inferior Georgia Tech team shows that Richmond hasn't quite developed the resiliency and consistency of Temple and Xavier. A step-on-their-throat attitude is required and KA simply can't disappear one game out of every four.

4)DAYTON. Chris Wright has elevated his game and Chris Johnson is starting to wake up. Dayton is not as good defensively, or as tough physically, as recent editions, but this team still has plenty of talent. Despite a loss to a very good ODU team, Dayton still has a chance to build an at-large resume but the next two weeks are critical with games vs. George Mason, Seton Hall and New Mexico.

5)DUQUESNE. The Dukes missed a huge opportunity to beat West Virginia, but they did bounce back to pummel a very good IUPUI team. Duquesne is a darkhorse with Saunders and a excellent cast of wing players and shooters. No one in the A-10 can look forward to an easy win over this team.

6)RHODE ISLAND (Previously No. 7). Rhody should get back Orion Outerbridge next week and it's not a moment too soon. URI doesnt have an NCAA resume, but the NIT is certainly within reach. Delroy James is playing great and could end up vying with Tu Holloway and Andrew Nicholson for POY consideration.

7)LASALLE (Previously No. 6). The Explorers are such a tease. The team has a good mixture of size, athleticism, talent, youth and experience. Yet the defense has disappointed and so has the late-game decision making. Much the blame should fall on coach Giannini. He doesnt have a clear philosophy on defense - zone and man are switched constantly - and the offense lacks discipline at key moments. G has done a good job recruiting, but he is a subpar game manager.

8)MASSACHUSETTS. The Minutemen haven't played since the last rankings and stay in 8th place by default. UMass needs to do a much better job scoring inside, rebounding and defending like it did earlier in the season. Kellogg has not inspired much confidence lately.

9)CHARLOTTE (Previously No. 13). The Niners have been playing much better lately and make a big jump after upsetting Tennessee. Charlotte is moving the ball well on offense and playing tough, physical defense. The program lacks depth and star power, but Charlotte still has enough size and talent to be a middle-of-the-pack team.

10)ST. BONAVENTURE (Previously No. 11). The Bonnies are still a herky-jerky team with a suspect backcourt, but they are one of the biggest teams in the league and have arguably the most talented player in the A-10 in center Andrew Nicholson. He is the kind of talent who can carry this team to more than a few upset wins vs the creme de la creme of the A-10.

11)ST. JOSEPH’S (Previously No. 9). The Hawks are young and talented, all right, but inexperienced and small. They will score a few upsets this year, but get pounded now and then by bigger, veteran teams. I love Carl Jones. He and Charlotte's Jamar Briscoe are birds of a feather with their tenacity and fearlessness.

12) ST. LOUIS (Previously NO. 10). The Bills and Hawks are interchangeable. SLU is also thin and physically weak, but the freshman class is outstanding. Guards McCall and Jett alternate big games and I love hyper-active swingmen Dwayne Evans. Going to be fun to watch them develop and they'll beat at least one of the league heavyweights this year.

13)FORDHAM (Previously No. 12). The Rams haven't played since the big win over St. John's. The next couple of games will tell us a lot - is this team improving as fast as it seems or was the last game a big blip on the radar? I think Fordham is improving quickly, but depth is in such short supply I don't think it's sustainable. Brenton Butler is working himself into all-league consideration.

14)GEORGE WASHINGTON. The Colonials played their best game of the young season with a win at Oregon State. Sophomore swingman Dwayne Smith has come up big and so has freshman shooter Micic, who is one of the best pure gunners in the A-10. I leave GW in 14th place for now but there is hope. A week ago there wasn't.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Another good analysis WH. If your prediction of UD being 4th right is accurate, it doesn't bother me a bit. We play the three teams above us 4 times, (X being twice) and of the four games, only one is on the road...at X. Home against Temple, Richmond, and X. I like our chances to finish above .500 this year in A10 play.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Outside the Top 2 or 3 teams the league is very average this year. X has a long, long way to go but should continue to get better with the upcoming tough games ooc. I think Rhode Island will surpass Dayton when Outerbridge gets back.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Really? Do you look at that as some kind of accomplishment? UD should be well above .500 every year. Get rid of ol' 8-8 and live a little.
Ya, cause how I personally feel about things has any sort of bearing on what happens on the floor. Get rid of your fantasy life A10fan.

We have the exact same schedule we had 2 years ago where we went 11-5. I think that's totally possible again but I wouldn't bet on it...just my thoughts. It's favorable for us. X should be a split at the least again. We get Temple and Richmond at home. We played them on the road last year. SLU is a shell of what everyone thought they would be. GW is a mess and we play them on the road this year. Point being, the road schedule is favorable due to a variety of factors that are out of anyone's control.

I honestly think this is a rare UD year where we might see more improvement as the year goes on while in past years it was jump out of the gates running and stall out. Youth and new faces probably mean we'll only get better as the year goes on. I've seen baby steps the last two games. Question is, how much improvement will it be and will it be enough?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I try to be more positive on this board than the Xavier boards.

But I do think it's worth pointing out that Chris Wright is an absurdly overrated player. I don't understand why really smart people, like WH and coaches and the media, think he's so good.

I just saw some stats from ken pomeroy (which I'm afraid haven't been updated in a week....but they are still relevant).

Chris Wright only has an offensive rating of 92. The team as a whole has an offensive rating of 97. His possessions are weighing down the team.

Wright has shot only 2-11 from 3 and only 44-91 from within the arc. A good forward should have a much higher 2 point %.

It really isn't an anti-dayton thing. I love Chris Johnson as a player. He deserves every compliment he gets. But the same isn't true for Wright.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
The issue with CW with fans has always been expectations. I'm sure you think J. McClean is a very very good PF for X. His avg (and I'm going to round up for both) 11 and 9....CW is avg 14 and 9. CW legacy will be cemented in the next 20 games. For the record, I don't know if JM has 30 point type games in him, even if he had to....CW has it in him as he's shown the last two seasons.

His problem has always been consistency. Thus far, he's having his best statistical season to date (while shooting only about 47% on the season so far), and he should for that matter. If he can up his avg to around 15-16 ppg and 9-10 rpg for the season, I don't see how you can knock the guy. If he resorts in the remaining games to the inconsistent CW that we know and ends up avg 13 and 7 on the year, then ya, I'll agree with you 100%.

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
The issue with CW with fans has always been expectations. I'm sure you think J. McClean is a very very good PF for X. His avg (and I'm going to round up for both) 11 and 9....CW is avg 14 and 9. CW legacy will be cemented in the next 20 games. For the record, I don't know if JM has 30 point type games in him, even if he had to....CW has it in him as he's shown the last two seasons.

His problem has always been consistency. Thus far, he's having his best statistical season to date (while shooting only about 47% on the season so far), and he should for that matter. If he can up his avg to around 15-16 ppg and 9-10 rpg for the season, I don't see how you can knock the guy. If he resorts in the remaining games to the inconsistent CW that we know and ends up avg 13 and 7 on the year, then ya, I'll agree with you 100%.
I agree that Wright is a better all-around player than McLean. And even though I disagree with Guy on the XU Boards about 99% of the time, I believe he was correct to point out that perception and expectations are the reasons for his statements about Chris Wright.
Furthermore, he didn't bring McLean into the conversation, you did. The only other player he mentioned was Chris Johnson of the Flyers, and that was done in a very complimentary manner.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am not sure I fall into the category of thinking Wright is exceptionally good, Guy. I have noted his limitations repeatedly since his junior year. He has not gotten any better with his outside shot and has never developed a post-up game. Until this season, he didn't rebound as well as he should, either. Chris Wright clearly has his limitations.

Nonetheless, Wright still puts up good overall numbers and he clearly has a big effect on most games. His sheer athleticism and physicality have an impact on a game that the box score cannot capture.

I tend to view Wright as not quite living up to his promise, but he's still one of the best players in the league. Just because a long NBA career is unlikely doesn't discount the positive impact he's had on Dayton.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Maybe it is simply that Chris Wright is/was overhyped. But after watching him over the past 3.5 years, his impact on games cannot be denied. He is extremely hard working and physically tenacious.

At this point, as a pragmatic Dayton fan, I have resolved to enjoy what Wright is rather than lament everything he isn't. And frankly, I'm a little surprised to hear an X fan bring up this topic now . . .

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
To be honest, Wright's frosh year I thought he was an NBA talent and definately an early entry. High expectations that are unmet are definately why he is not celebrated. I think A-10 people appreciate the guys who are limited physically to a certain degree, but work hard to become elite players based off development. Wright is the opposite of that. He is a lottery talent physically, but has shown a very low level of development in college. All of his numbers come off of sheer athleticism.

Now, that does not discount that he puts up high quality numbers. He is better than most A-10 players based on nothing but his Freaky 'combine numbers'. He would start for every team in the A-10. There is zero doubt now that Crawford is gone he is the most talented guy in the A-10.

He has never met expectations though. Even going into his Junior year fans on this board were chalking up 17 points and 10 rebounds as guarantees for last year. Going into his Frosh year he was supposed to lead Dayton to surpassing Xavier (which is highly important at UD right now, as 10 years ago It was important for X fans to get above UC). So far he has 1 NCAA tourney appearance to show. He will not lead UD to surpassing X over his career. He may never even be an NBA draft pick in a watered down draft pool. Dayton fans alone led to this perception. If he was any other name on the UD roster he would be celebrated by all. As it is the guy has basically no chance to live up to expectations.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Frog fans seem to think they can win 8+ games in the A-10 this year. Seems like a stretch to me
. The league is down but the frogs winning 8.....come on now.

You do not understand how good these freshman are

Merry Christmas

Guster

·
Registered
312 Posts
but Charlotte still has enough size and talent to be a middle-of-the-pack team.

(sic) the Alan Major excuse society won't like this quote. We have no players, no talent, and the UT win was an anomaly because UT shot 30% by themselves. Bobby Lutz only recruited shooters who can't play D and have awful habits. That bastard left us in total re-boot mode.

(serious) I agree btw with your assessment. We have enough talent to be OK in the league and not sacrifice an entire year due to a Major "learning curve"...shouldn't be losing to Gardner Webb and the like. If Major can get our kids to play that way consistently, we can compete

if I can admit I warmed up to Major on Fri, the "defend Major at all costs" gang need to admit there is talent to win some this year with our size. There is some pressure on Major to win now, and not chalk up the year on Shamari's attitude and injuries as a rebooting year. As I've said all along, this team needed a makeover, not facial reconstruction.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Maybe it is simply that Chris Wright is/was overhyped. But after watching him over the past 3.5 years, his impact on games cannot be denied. He is extremely hard working and physically tenacious.

At this point, as a pragmatic Dayton fan, I have resolved to enjoy what Wright is rather than lament everything he isn't. And frankly, I'm a little surprised to hear an X fan bring up this topic now . . .
I posted it really late and night.

I do think it's still relevant. Being a senior, it feels like Chris Wright will cruise to some A10 awards this year which I don't think he deserves.

I'm far from being a big fan of Gregory. But Gregory is definitely the type of coach that's partly a victim of his own recruiting. Wright set the expectations high. He hasn't fully come through, which makes Gregory look bad.

Yet Gregory seems to often the receive the full blame. I think college basketball fans are more comfortable blaming the coach than the player. But I think if you just look at the stats, Wright isn't coming through.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I posted it really late and night.

I do think it's still relevant. Being a senior, it feels like Chris Wright will cruise to some A10 awards this year which I don't think he deserves.

I'm far from being a big fan of Gregory. But Gregory is definitely the type of coach that's partly a victim of his own recruiting. Wright set the expectations high. He hasn't fully come through, which makes Gregory look bad.

Yet Gregory seems to often the receive the full blame. I think college basketball fans are more comfortable blaming the coach than the player. But I think if you just look at the stats, Wright isn't coming through.
Yeah, see this discussion was more relevant at the end of last year when Wright was (perhaps undeservingly) voted to All-A10 First Team. I haven't seen any over-the-top acolades being thrown his way this year.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm just saying, it already feels like Dayton won't make the NCAA tourney. Wright will have a subpar year, but will get some hustle points every game, which the media loves. And Wright will earn some A10 awards when he should receive a good deal of the blame.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Perhaps it is not all Chris Wright. Perhaps the coach should shoulder some of the blame. Either he is not coaching the guy up, or his play calling during the game stinks, or his game plan stinks, or he cannot make adjustments at the half.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Chris needed to work harder in the off-season(s) on the finer points of his game. He always seemed to be caught between the player he is and the player he wanted to be. He appears to be striking a better balance between that in the last two games. When he plays with controlled agression he can dominate games like he did on Saturday.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts