Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Well said Bosi, these are horrible accusations and while I'm inclined to believe they are true, I think everyone deserves a full, thorough, independent investigation into this.

I think lots of people already need to be fired just for either not having a good system in place or for trying to circumvent that system. Anytime there are sexual assault accusations, they need to be taken seriously. These events can ruin people's lives. If anyone did commit these crimes, they deserve to be expelled and have charges brought to them. If anyone knew about the accusations and did nothing to support the potential victim, they deserve to be fired at the very least.

This is a more than just a UVM problem...it's a broad systematic issue everywhere. It is as if our society, collectively, just doesn't care about sex crimes and it's disgusting. (This is not trying to deflect from the UVM situation.)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well said Bosi, these are horrible accusations and while I'm inclined to believe they are true, I think everyone deserves a full, thorough, independent investigation into this.

I think lots of people already need to be fired just for either not having a good system in place or for trying to circumvent that system. Anytime there are sexual assault accusations, they need to be taken seriously. These events can ruin people's lives. If anyone did commit these crimes, they deserve to be expelled and have charges brought to them. If anyone knew about the accusations and did nothing to support the potential victim, they deserve to be fired at the very least.

This is a more than just a UVM problem...it's a broad systematic issue everywhere. It is as if our society, collectively, just doesn't care about sex crimes and it's disgusting. (This is not trying to deflect from the UVM situation.)
I completely agree. As someone who has been professionally involved in the investigation of countless sexual abuse allegations, it is exceedingly important to look at 1) all available the facts in any given allegation, 2) whatever systems are (or may need to be ) in place to assure support to alleged victims 3) the thoroughness of any investigation. Certainly the allegations are of great concern and, if found valid, could and perhaps should place a massive stain on the University. Emotional reactions around these issues is to be understood/is very common but must not drive the train here, folks.

·
Registered
239 Posts
We can discuss this further in our dms on twitter but I stand by what I posted. No one saying the alleged victims aren't to be believed...I simply call for presumption of innocence of the accused as our justice system demands. My concern is you running around on different mediums convicting everyone left and right...if even some of this turns out to be incorrect UVM can hold you liable via libel lawsuits. I understand your outrage and share it if this is true but you personally have the cart way in front of the horse. These are serious, life altering allegations that MUST be investigated and the entire truth disclosed.

No questions UVMs handling of this has been abysmal and state authorities need to step in, get to the FULL truth and then proceed accordingly with criminal and civil penalties. These are allegations UVM will not and should not be able to bury. But I wasn't born yesterday and am not willing to take out a wide broom and sweep everyone, guilty or not away. The light of truth needs to be shined in every dingy dirty corner of UVM as it relates to this... and then when the allegations are substantiated...DROP THE HAMMER on everyone involved.
Very well said.

My issue is you cannot have a rush to judgement with action based on people writing anonymously on Instagram or twitter. If this is true and the basketball player at vermont was involved in multiple sexual assaults or the team was gang raping women i find it very hard to believe that Becker, a guy with two daughters, would ignore it. The Ware thing is complicated and i believe Becker had his hands tied. However, multiple rapes/gang rape would require you to be a pretty sick F-ing scumbag to ignore. I also find it a little hard to believe that "everyone" inside and out of the athletic department knew but no one said a word. Binghamton has professors on NYT speed dial to trash athletics. Again, not saying it is not true i just think you need more than twitter and Instagram posts to fire people.

Also it is not just Duke lacrosse. that is the most prominent one. This happens you just never here about it. Two are below just by googling.

Sacred Heart Football Players Falsely accused.Judge: Woman who made false rape claim must finish probation

Coker College socer player https://www.thestate.com/news/local/crime/article210588369.html

·
Registered
160 Posts

·
Registered
8,931 Posts
Here is another interesting link found ... just by googling ....

NCAA looks the other way as college athletes punished for sex offenses play on

Just another feather in the cap of the NCAA......would not be surprised if a couple of administrators partied on Epstein Island back in the day.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Here is another interesting link found ... just by googling ....

NCAA looks the other way as college athletes punished for sex offenses play on

100%.i agree there should be a list of certain crimes that a person cannot come back from. Rape would be on the top of the list. However it doesnt mean that John Becker or anyone at Vermont should be fired without an investigation. Florida did their job. He was accused, investigated, convicted by the school and expelled. That does not change the fact that in our country you are innocent until proven guilty. For the NCAA, this is true for any crime not just sexual assault. Technically, you can be charged with any crime(drugs, manslaughter, sexual assaults, burglary...) and still play until you are put in jail. Even if convicted you can play as long as you are not in a jail cell.

I mean hell Kobe Bryant was accused of sexual assault and when he died people were crying in the streets. no one cared about the victim. When a handful of reporters brought it up they were attacked.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
The problem is there’s been no investigation and that appears to be deliberate. They have to go whether the rapes happened or not (and I believe they did based upon the volume of women speaking out). They have to go because they have been quashing investigations.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
So, things are definitely going to progress now...as far as proper investigations, IMHO. The Lt. Governor put out this tweet:

She's a former UVM scholarship athlete and an attorney. No way is this going to end without some serious questioning of both the general administration and the athletic department administration.

·
Registered
14,268 Posts
So, things are definitely going to progress now...as far as proper investigations, IMHO. The Lt. Governor put out this tweet:

She's a former UVM scholarship athlete and an attorney. No way is this going to end without some serious questioning of both the general administration and the athletic department administration.
D had this first! But yeah...it's on like Donkey Kong now...

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
Wow. That appears to be quite a show of support and solidarity. There is definitely no place to hide now. And yes, these are all just accusations, but man, when there is this much smoke, there has to be some fire.

·
Registered
622 Posts
There is sidewalk chalk and paint all over UVM campus this morning calling out this issue. It is clear UVM has a rape culture problem.

I am not sure the current administration is capable of dealing with it (their communications thus far have been "we have a system in place" and other platitudes).

"getting out in front and addressing problems in a clear manner" has not been the strong point of this admin, to say the least

I am not sure what the exact answer is, but independent outside investigation is needed and let the chips fall where they amy

·
Registered
783 Posts
Right, not being proactive is now boomeranging back. There was an opportunity to gain some control of the situation and search for better information long ago. From a leadership standpoint, if you’re doing your job, that’s exactly what you should want. Even if you don’t like all of the answers you get, you’re showing you’re on top of things and interested in solutions.

Eventually if you don’t do that, someone will probably do it for you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sincerely, I would like to thank the UVM posters for not commenting on Lamb's performance tonight. Looks like you guys are starting to "get it."

21 - 40 of 83 Posts