Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

61 - 80 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts

This is a half-assed at best response to an issue that requires so much more.

First, it's about how there are great and introspective athletic staff and student-athletes. There is no focus on the victims or those that are calling attention to this terrible issue. They mention a broad "survivors of sexual assault", but have no specific acknowledgment of issues on campus. Then a complete lie about how committed they are to ensure a safe community.

Supposedly "each of us has an important role...dismantling the systems and structures that CAN lead to sexual assault". It's pretty clear to me that Schulman and the department actively helped create the system and structure to protect student-athletes and allowed sexual assaults to continue. Also, the fact that they said: "it CAN lead to sexual assault" as if it didn't JUST lead to multiple sexual assaults.

Their actions speak much louder than these pitiful words. A completely hollow, non-apology that doesn't address the issue and effectively does nothing.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts

This is a half-assed at best response to an issue that requires so much more.

First, it's about how there are great and introspective athletic staff and student-athletes. There is no focus on the victims or those that are calling attention to this terrible issue. They mention a broad "survivors of sexual assault", but have no specific acknowledgment of issues on campus. Then a complete lie about how committed they are to ensure a safe community.

Supposedly "each of us has an important role...dismantling the systems and structures that CAN lead to sexual assault". It's pretty clear to me that Schulman and the department actively helped create the system and structure to protect student-athletes and allowed sexual assaults to continue. Also, the fact that they said: "it CAN lead to sexual assault" as if it didn't JUST lead to multiple sexual assaults.

Their actions speak much louder than these pitiful words. A completely hollow, non-apology that doesn't address the issue and effectively does nothing.
I completely agree with this and highlighted the bolded part which was my exact thought as I read the release. I don't think he gets it at all. Or just doesn't want to acknowledge it. Either way, if I was a Vermont fan, alum, resident or employee, I would be livid about this complete lack of substance statement. There is zero sense of responsibility or accountability whatsoever.

Anyway, I digress.

·
Premium Member
33,655 Posts
Sometimes I feel like people on here need a refresher course on basic Human Nature.

None these people-AD, Title IX, HC, AC, are going to voluntarily resign their jobs and enter the Burlington, VT economy to go to work at Ahli Baba’s Kabob Shop unless something absolutely forces them to.

So what I keep coming back to is what will actually effect real change and find some semblance of resolution here:

*President/BOT conducting an investigation/ review and subsequent firings

*Results of NCAA investigation (any insiders know how this is progressing and timeline here? Feel like we’ve heard nothing at all) finding a material amount of wrongdoing.

*Arrests/prosecution and criminal convictions in a court of law for those accused of rape.

Until any of these things happen, I would not expect anything more than the lip service/window dressing in comments like these and in the article that Abrami wrote with a checklist that UVM is “committing to doing” (likely same people, btw, how comforting-we didn’t do it before but now we will) for victims/survivors of sexual abuse.

Until then, sadly it’s all just screaming into the void.

Reactions: c00per

·
Registered
454 Posts
Until then, sadly it’s all just screaming into the void.
I think we are allowed to be upset about a non-substantive statement that doesn't do anything to address the issue.

Even if that is what you were expecting, we should make a point to call it out for being dishonest.

The bar is set atrociously low

·
Premium Member
33,655 Posts
I think we are allowed to be upset about a non-substantive statement that doesn't do anything to address the issue.

Even if that is what you were expecting, we should make a point to call it out for being dishonest.

The bar is set atrociously low
People can feel whatever feelings and emotions and however they want to feel about anything.

My focus is on what can actually be done. Maybe there are those out there that whatever these steps/actions/changes whatever you want to label them are sufficient....will see.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Dumb question, I know the Lt. Governor tweeted (or something) but outside of this board, is there any real traction anywhere for there to be any resolution to this? At some point should we expect a block buster announcement about something related to this, or will it just fade away?

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Dumb question, I know the Lt. Governor tweeted (or something) but outside of this board, is there any real traction anywhere for there to be any resolution to this? At some point should we expect a block buster announcement about something related to this, or will it just fade away?
The Lt. Governor job in Vermont is largely ceremonial and she has little to no legislative power outside breaking ties, which rarely happens given her party heavily controls both chambers.

It won't fade away if people continue to ensure it does not. Broadly, it seems like the students are organized and have a plan to ensure their demands that were agreed on get met, and further the conversation and actual action toward diminishing sexual violence on campus and a process that protects survivors and holds those accused accountable. In terms of athletics, the easy thing to do is if this bothers you to not shut up about or at a minimum show your disgust with your wallet. So cancel all your season tickets and donations and don't renew until UVM commits to actionable items, not poorly written (honestly, that was so badly written) statements that say nothing. Whether that's independent investigations, completely new policies to code of conduct for both athletes and those in charge, or something that demonstrates there's a meaningful commitment to righting the wrongs (and that simply could be firing some people too). It won't be easy, but what call for changes ever are? The time for saying "this is bad, but..." by any UVM fan is over. Most of us are powerless in the eyes of athletics given our financial statuses (which is why it's totally fine to use this space to "scream into the void" because catharsis is okay), but I can tell you I've managed alone to get a few others to also give up season tickets...do the same, and keep working the ladder. You're not going to win them all, some people are too brainwashed or simply don't care/see nothing wrong going on, but UVM will move on a lot easier if they think fans will let them. Don't let them.

·
Premium Member
33,655 Posts
What can be done? You realize that they have the ability to hold people accountable. They can do a lot more and chose not to.
Wake up.

Of course I realize that, but do you understand how institutions operate? UVM is an institution, no different then the rest. Nobody is going to hold anyone accountable inside the institution unless they are forced to. Look at the President at Hartford; completely different issue but that's a good glimpse into the type of people in charge at these institutions.

Accountability? That will only happen with the NCAA investigation and lawsuits to prove guilt OR people will have to ultimately be satisfied with the reforms/new initiatives as outlined in the Abrami article.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Wake up.

Of course I realize that, but do you understand how institutions operate? UVM is an institution, no different then the rest. Nobody is going to hold anyone accountable inside the institution unless they are forced to. Look at the President at Hartford; completely different issue but that's a good glimpse into the type of people in charge at these institutions.

Accountability? That will only happen with the NCAA investigation and lawsuits to prove guilt OR people will have to ultimately be satisfied with the reforms/new initiatives as outlined in the Abrami article.
You seen to be coming on here and trying to shout down people expressing outrage at Vermont Basketball / Athletics because they aren’t accepting the status quo of “how institutions operate.” It seems to be the stance that people should shut up because their outrage will lead to nothing, and I disagree wholeheartedly.

The more people speak out, and express outrage, the more supported survivors feel — feeling alone is one of the crippling traumas of sexual violence. It’s one of the reasons survivors stay silent. If people continue to express outrage and express solidarity with survivors, it may well help other survivors (of which there are reportedly MANY of the specific men’s basketball player who has generated the publicity around this as well as reportedly several other men’s basketball players) come forward. If other survivors come forward and name names it ABSOLUTELY changes the dynamics around this and could force institutional change.

If the voices of outrage continue to grow, maybe it causes some donors to take pause and at least go through the motions of giving a shit about this — if they do and their dollars dry up a bit, that could also lead to change.

If people continue to express outrage around this and their voices get louder, maybe it will convince some of the Vermont basketball alumni and noted figures who have privately expressed disgust at this to sack up and publicly condemn the program, which would also be a game changer.

The grassroots movement up there and groundswell of outrage has led to multiple NATIONAL outlets taking note and beginning to investigate this story. If one of them writes something on this that could also change the dynamics in this...

Maybe people voicing their outrage leads to nothing, but it COULD lead to something big. It does more for people disgusted by this than staying silent. As the saying goes, “all it takes for evil to prevail is for good people to stay silent.”

·
Premium Member
33,655 Posts
You seen to be coming on here and trying to shout down people expressing outrage at Vermont Basketball / Athletics because they aren’t accepting the status quo of “how institutions operate.” It seems to be the stance that people should shut up because their outrage will lead to nothing, and I disagree wholeheartedly.

The more people speak out, and express outrage, the more supported survivors feel — feeling alone is one of the crippling traumas of sexual violence. It’s one of the reasons survivors stay silent. If people continue to express outrage and express solidarity with survivors, it may well help other survivors (of which there are reportedly MANY of the specific men’s basketball player who has generated the publicity around this as well as reportedly several other men’s basketball players) come forward. If other survivors come forward and name names it ABSOLUTELY changes the dynamics around this and could force institutional change.

If the voices of outrage continue to grow, maybe it causes some donors to take pause and at least go through the motions of giving a shit about this — if they do and their dollars dry up a bit, that could also lead to change.

If people continue to express outrage around this and their voices get louder, maybe it will convince some of the Vermont basketball alumni and noted figures who have privately expressed disgust at this to sack up and publicly condemn the program, which would also be a game changer.

The grassroots movement up there and groundswell of outrage has led to multiple NATIONAL outlets taking note and beginning to investigate this story. If one of them writes something on this that could also change the dynamics in this...

Maybe people voicing their outrage leads to nothing, but it COULD lead to something big. It does more for people disgusted by this than staying silent. As the saying goes, “all it takes for evil to prevail is for good people to stay silent.”
No, you’re incorrect. Not shouting down anyone, just aware of what it takes to get something to change.

Reactions: MileHiCat

·
Registered
20 Posts
Has any of the coaching staff been implicated in this? Including ones that left ? It doesn't seem like it it seems like its more of an administrative level issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
multiple NATIONAL outlets taking note and beginning to investigate this story.
Any evidence of this? Because I haven't seen any.

Notwithstanding the fact your account is a week old, your dedication is admirable. I'm tending to agree with Hoop Cat that the extent of the changes will be what was covered in the Abrami article. I don't see a Pete Thamel swooping in and torpedoing the program a la the 2010 Jailcats. Who knows with these types of things though.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Notwithstanding the odious nature of the situation, it will be really interesting to see how this plays out. Because this wasn’t addressed proactively, the school is now playing chicken with the university community and the donor base. How mad are people about this, really? Will some boilerplate language and platitudes be enough? Will people be mad for a while but then get distracted and move on?

At the end of day, as much as we’d like people to just do the right thing, the reality is you follow the money. And the money is influenced by negative publicity, which is influenced by how determined people are to make noise. The pressure will have to stay on at a high level.

Personally, I think the monster is out of the box at this point, and there will have to be real changes. But we’ll see.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Any evidence of this? Because I haven't seen any.

Notwithstanding the fact your account is a week old, your dedication is admirable. I'm tending to agree with Hoop Cat that the extent of the changes will be what was covered in the Abrami article. I don't see a Pete Thamel swooping in and torpedoing the program a la the 2010 Jailcats. Who knows with these types of things though.
Considering the seriousness of what is being alleged, this is not something you publish without serious vetting from several sources for fear of another Duke Lacrosse episode.

I'm sure Thamel's stuff came only after weeks of investigating and interviewing.

As someone, who has been in journalism (albeit never in hard news) for more than a decade, trust me these are not stories are done quickly because you can't be wrong.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Down here in Georgia, I knew nothing of this until I logged onto this site to see what people were saying about the U. of Hartford reclassifying its athletic program. I'd also never heard about Kendall's allegations last year until I read about them on this site. I get a lot of my national news from the online Washington Post - I did a quick search for relevant articles there and found none. By comparison, the national media coverage of the allegations about Baylor football and Duke lacrosse in recent years were impossible to miss. I'm not sure what the difference is here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Down here in Georgia, I knew nothing of this until I logged onto this site to see what people were saying about the U. of Hartford reclassifying its athletic program. I'd also never heard about Kendall's allegations last year until I read about them on this site. I get a lot of my national news from the online Washington Post - I did a quick search for relevant articles there and found none. By comparison, the national media coverage of the allegations about Baylor football and Duke lacrosse in recent years were impossible to miss. I'm not sure what the difference is here.
The Duke Lacrosse case had everything, black vs. white, rich vs. poor, entitled students vs community members. It was like a journalists' dream when the story broke. As far as why, the accuser went to the police so there was a report with names & statements.

Had Kendall Ware went through a formal investigation like she wanted, it obviously would've been in the news when Lamb was subsequently suspended. Due to the school coercing her to taking the informal option, Anthony Lamb was never publicly named in any report as the accuser, making it harder to report on. It's really a shame she wasn't able to due to fear of retaliation from Anthony Lamb and community members, and the school meddling to do what was in their best interest rather than Ware's. The irony is the fallout now may be worse than had they just suspended Lamb at the time.

I wouldn't be surprised when she gets something from the lawsuit, either.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts

Bottom of the article is probably the most important part. As of yet, Schulman has not replied to the Free Press' questions. Both of which are fair and reasonable questions that should be answered. My feeling is he will not and try and use the "cannot comment on cases of sexual assault involving students" for the second one when that's not really what the question is about (it's about athletic department guidelines in place should this happen in general) and the first one I'm sure there will just be "our staff go through training, blah blah..." both of which would be unacceptable responses.

Pretty easy to look up Schulman's email or office phone on the UVM athletics website. If anyone feels so inclined to send him a note demanding he answer the Free Press' questions, that's a way to at least attempt to demand action and a real response is by seeing his inbox or mentions flooded with that over pats on the back about the men's lax team (which congrats men's lax, but you're going to be used as a distraction ploy in the coming week too).

61 - 80 of 107 Posts